Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,238 Posts
1: Remove the Radio U Trim. There are 2 clips, one seen in the picture below in red. Use a flat head screwdriver to pry it off. The picture for 2: shows better where the clips are (In Blue). Then unplug the bulb on the Cig Lighter, and then pull off the plastic L plug on the Cig Lighter.

2: Unscrew the 2 screws seen in the picture below (in Red).

3: Unscrew the 2 screws (In Red).

4: There are several clips then holding the rest of it on. Pull it off, BUT be gentle yet firm.

5: Unplug all the accessories (Clock and Hazard switch seen in picture). Also need to unplug the Dimmer and Mirror switch to the left of the steering wheel. Then remove the trim piece.

6: Unscrew the 4 screws holding on the Instrument Cluster.

7: Unplug the 4 harnesses on the cluster.

8: Take out the gear indicator light section as seen below. It’s a little bit of a pain to do. I advise using a small flathead screwdriver. There are 3 clips. It’s best to have the screwdriver ready, pop it up on one side from 1 of the clips, and use the screwdriver to GENTLY hold it up, while undoing the other 2 clips on the gear indicator which should then just pop up from the slight pressure. It’s a bit hard to explain, but you should understand it perfectly when you are actually doing it.

9: Unscrew the bulb marked as “D”, and replace it.

·
R.I.P. '95 Camry LE V6
'95 Toyota Camry LE
1,267 Posts
what size bulb does it use?

·
R.I.P. '95 Camry LE V6
'95 Toyota Camry LE
1,267 Posts
ok. thanks

·
another_person
189 Posts
Dealer ONLY.
not necessarily...it's basically a 3mm bulb if I remember correctly, which means you can replace it with a 3mm led instead. you'd have to double check the vF of the connector, and probably add a resistor, but just keep the base and swap out the bulb. If you buy the bulb from the dealer, I think it was 2.50 or something. You can also just swap the L or 2 bulbs with the D since you almost never use those gears. When I swaped mine, the new dealer bulbs didn't look as bright as the N or P lights. Really noticable on our land cruiser, but just as noticable on my old gen 3

·
sexy, dirty, and slow...
768 Posts
cool thanks for the write up...btw is that the same process if i want to change the color of the mile per hour thingy??

·
Noob
469 Posts
You know, we should really compile a new DIY repair section and sticky it.

The visuals on the forum is much better than any repair manual can give us, and there's some quite ingenious ad-libbing to established procedures as well.

It could also keep off some of the repetitive stuff that keeps coming up. :)

section for mods/repairs/maintenance

(Oh, I realize I'm new here, but being such a newbie, there's such a wealth of info here, but at times can be hard to find/incomplete despite 15 threads on the same matter)

·
another_person
189 Posts
Have a shot of the bulb? Then I can confirm whether it is really just an ordinary 3mm bulb
I would, but I don't have a gen3 anymore, and the bulb is our land cruiser is slightly harder to get out. I'll try to get a pic unless someone else can.

·
Registered
427 Posts
just a question.. we have a 94 camry and my brother wants to change the bulbs but he wants to know how many does he need and what size..

·
Registered
427 Posts
he wants to replace the cluster minus drive gear, on the shifter, and those instruments a/c, fan etc. also he was asking if the clock can be replace too?

·
Registered
Lexus ES300
17 Posts
D Bulb Replacement

Does anyone know what the part # is for the stock bulb used for the "D" on the Gen 3 instrument gear cluster? I stopped at the Toyota dealer today, and the guy could only find a # for the entire cluster, not just the bulb I need.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^ Your dealer is retarded. I've gotten them at 3 different dealers. I'll see if I can get the # for you tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts