Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I have a 2001 Camry and my ignition switch seems a bit worn, instead of going to dealer i thought i could buy a "Push Button" with a few "Toggle" switches to create the same 3 levels of ignition that the lock cylinder does. I was hoping to splice the wires of the ignition harness and tap them to each of the switches/button and so forth. My friend stopped me from going forward since he said i might totally screw up my car cause of immobilizer. Well i dont have any clue on this so i wanted an opinion! I do have a degree in Electrical Engineering thus i thought it would be easy to tap the wires and simple use the button. Any suggestions are welcome! P.s my car already has an aftermarket engine starter with a remote.

·
Registered
113 Posts
first off, welcome to the forum. does your car have factory keyless entry? will have key fobs. dealer installed alarm? red light and glass break mic near the dimmer switch in one of the squares left of steering wheel. added alarm, sounds like a pita. what do you mean by your ignition switch is a bit worn. does the key come out when its in run? does it not start? need more info.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the greetings! My car is second-hand so i have a few keys the previous owner gave me. One of them is with a keyless entry and on the back of it its DOES have an alarm button, simple to trigger the horn if i press it, but nothing else. And along side on the left of my steering wheel i DO NOT have any mic or light, (My friend does in his car), mine is simple two black slots with nothing in it. Also i have bare keys that the owner gave me with no plastics what so ever and i can drive around with just those fine. (I'm assuming since they are bare metal without the fobs the car doesnt have much security) Also there seems to be an aftermarket kit installed with an engine starter, but thats pretty much it! No Mic, No blinking lights anywhere. and NO the key cannot come out with the engine is running. And my keys are worn, basically sometimes they dont turn. These are my keys:

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
you have the basic factory installed keyless. one key is for all locks and one will just open the drivers door and start the car I believe. the other wont open the pass side or trunk. as far as the aftermarket alarm/starter goes that's another story. I have a remote start on my car and have to use the remote supplied with it to start car, it disables the factory alarm/door locks. its wired to unlock car upon pressing the button on remote start fob.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you have the basic factory installed keyless. one key is for all locks and one will just open the drivers door and start the car I believe. the other wont open the pass side or trunk. as far as the aftermarket alarm/starter goes that's another story. I have a remote start on my car and have to use the remote supplied with it to start car, it disables the factory alarm/door locks. its wired to unlock car upon pressing the button on remote start fob.
So back to the original question, Do i have an immobilizer? Is it safe to tamper with the ignition harness and splice the wires to add the Push button?

·
Registered
228 Posts
The problem isn't in the ignition switch. The problem is the teeth on your keys are worn to the point that they no longer properly engage the tumblers. You can wire in toggles and a button if you want, or you can just go to a dealer and have a new key cut using the VIN. Have had this issue, new key solved it for $8.

96 LE 404k miles and counting!

Reactions: betaerror

·
Registered
179 Posts
The problem isn't in the ignition switch. The problem is the teeth on your keys are worn to the point that they no longer properly engage the tumblers. You can wire in toggles and a button if you want, or you can just go to a dealer and have a new key cut using the VIN. Have had this issue, new key solved it for $8.

96 LE 404k miles and counting!

Dealer charged $8? Had almost the same issue recently on a 3rd Gen Camry I worked on, however I had a spare key teeth were still good tried the spare but still didn't turn old key ruined the cylinder. It would only unlock the steering wheel.

OP as others have posted if you don't have the " break sensor" by dash dimmer or blinking light it's the. Keyless entry one press unlock driver door, 2 consecutive unlocks all. Besides key dosent have a transponder. Post a picture of the back of keyfob info most likely exact same as my 2000. If it is the basic you should be fine installing push button. Will you have a kill switch hidden? Most cars with push start have transponder built into keyfob for security to prevent theft.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealer charged $8? Had almost the same issue recently on a 3rd Gen Camry I worked on, however I had a spare key teeth were still good tried the spare but still didn't turn old key ruined the cylinder. It would only unlock the steering wheel.

OP as others have posted if you don't have the " break sensor" by dash dimmer or blinking light it's the. Keyless entry one press unlock driver door, 2 consecutive unlocks all. Besides key dosent have a transponder. Post a picture of the back of keyfob info most likely exact same as my 2000. If it is the basic you should be fine installing push button. Will you have a kill switch hidden? Most cars with push start have transponder built into keyfob for security to prevent theft.
Yes i have thought of hiding a toggle switch under the steering column where there are a bunch of wires. Here is a pic of the back of my forb. I was really nervous about splicing the ignition harness due to bricking my car, and its not that i can get a new key i was simply doing it for the fun part too! So green light? Should i go for it?

https://ibb.co/n6T20a

1 - 8 of 8 Posts