Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
HellaAverage
2010 Corolla S
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
IF you guys want to remove your front bumper then by all means cause it was a real pain with the bumper on.
the horns wont fit from the top so you have to reach from under the front bumper and pull the hella horns up into place.

FIRST NOTE: remove the negative battery terminal before you start so you wont have any shorts.
remember to put your key in the ignition and turn to ON before reattaching the battery terminal or the alarm will go off FOREVER! haha
WHICH SUCKS ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU'RE INSTALLING THESE BAD BOYS! :lol:

These are all the things you will need. (minus a 10mm and 13mm, or just an adjustable wrench)
-Scissors
-Lighter(for heatshrink)
-wire cutters (cutting and crimping)
- 14 gage wire (i believe it was 12-14' long) definitely wont need all of it
- Heat shrink (looks like 1/2" in diameter sorry guys i had this for a while but you buy it in a roll)
- 16-14 Ring Terminals (plastic is blue)
- 5/16" (M8) Flat washers ( for the other bolt holding up the 2nd hella horn)
- 16-14 Quick disconnects Female (plastic is blue also)
- M6 1.0 12mm (grounding bolts for the hella horns)
- M8 1.25 x 16mm QTY:2 (other bolt to anchor the other hella horn since we have only one. i used both bolts so they would match. be sure to use the washers you also purchased)

disregard that big bolt in the picture below (its the stock bolt for the original horn which i replaced with the M8 1.25 x16mm)

this is how it should look when its all said and done (illest:D)

im gonna show you how i made all the connectors(kinda look more professional:naughty:)

this is where you can use the cutters to crimp it like below.
be careful not to completely cut through the whole thing haha

once you see this you will need 7 pieces of wire.

this is where the stock horn was bolted and the hella horn fit perfectly. and the other wire is the ground as stated in the diagram at the bottom of the page

same to left side (order: M8 bolt -> washer -> hella horn plate -> chassis)

this is the relay

bottom view (used to draw the wiring diagram at the bottom)

where i placed the relay
its actually hidden but i brought it up so you can see where :)

the ground for the Relay (use wiring diagram) i placed on a exsisting bolt on the chassis
(NOTE: the other ground (blue one) is for my LEDs so disregard it)

all the wires coming from the relay go under the radiator holder
NOTE: you can see the Power wire (from relay to Positive on battery)

this is where i put it on the battery
NOTE: other two wires are for LEDs and my HID relay so disregard them

this is a top view of the wire from Relay to Stock Connector(sorry its blurry)
NOTE!!!! this is what i found out (the stock connector IS a female connector, therefore i cut, using the wire cutters, a ring terminal into a square shape, so it looks like a male connector) nobody told me this and i didnt want to a buy a pack of 20 male connectors when i only needed one.
the modified ring terminal into a male connector worked perfectly, maybe even better as it fit snuggly into the stock Connector.

when all is said and done

WIRING DIAGRAM USED

if you guys need any other pictures then let me know :thumbsup:

·
2010 Corolla S
2010 Corolla S
365 Posts
Excellent writeup. I think people know my love for sharing DIY projects :)

I rarely see a full license plate photo online, most people blur them. I'm not sure for what purpose, but because of whatever malicious thing that people have concocted you might want to edit your distance shot with mspaint and erase your texas tags.

·
Unofficial TN Member
2009 Rolla S
1,429 Posts
I rarely see a full license plate photo online, most people blur them. I'm not sure for what purpose
Just so some crazy mofo doesnt find you and steal your sh*t.

And as for the DIY, nice write up man. Another way you could have wired the ground wire would be to just bolt it to the horn bracket. Looks cleaner and way easier.

·
Registered
09 Corolla S
2,598 Posts
shft99 i thought you had the toyota premium horns?

i plan on getting these supertone horns, anyone know where i can order for less than 51 dollars shipped(amazon price)?

·
HellaAverage
2010 Corolla S
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Just so some crazy mofo doesnt find you and steal your sh*t.

And as for the DIY, nice write up man. Another way you could have wired the ground wire would be to just bolt it to the horn bracket. Looks cleaner and way easier.

i understand people blur them out when they are hauling ass down the highway at 23124mph so the cops dont arrest them or so people dont go and steal their crazy ass LS1 swaps and Volk Te37s but i doubt ricers (civics in my terminology) would want to steal my 1.8L :D or my LED strips haha plus they still think we are grocery getters...:facepalm: scrubs

and grounding it to the hella horn was what i was trying to do but for the life of me i could not unscrew the nuts holding on the plates :thumbsdow

and i dont have a good camera :[ but ill try to get some sound clips. unfortunately i dont have any with the stock horn.

FOR EVERYONE INTERESTED!!! all the videos on youtube (hella horns on WRXs and stuff like that) to compare DO NOT give these horns justice!!!!!

ive heard them all and they didnt sound too different in "loudness" besides the hella horns sounding more..."whiney" which is why all the comments are like blah blah i dont hear any difference unless someone who has them comments. but i decided to get these anyways and in person the horns are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY louder than the stock horn. you guys just dont understand!!!!! haha

·
HellaAverage
2010 Corolla S
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hahah yeah sorry about that. i didnt want to add both diagrams seperately as it might look confusing which one to use. on the relay ,one of the male connectors is perpendicular to its edge

you can use that orientation ,and my drawing, to wire it. :]

·
HellaAverage
2010 Corolla S
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i dont think so...
its just Hella SuperTone 118db

1 - 20 of 69 Posts