Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
now I do not have pics of this step but i had to remove the panel that houses the vents and 4 way hazard switch as well as the besel from around my radio I am not sure if this has to happen with the stock radio

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
next remove the storage compartment and dissconnect the 12 V accessory port

folowed by the panel for the airbag lights as well as the security light and remove electrical connectors

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
next grab the hvac Panel and pull it twords you to and you can gain access to the back of the unit to dissconnect the components

before removing the connectors i made sure all the knobs were turned far left for less confusion of switch position there are little tabs located on the side of the blend door control as well as temp control knobs press them in and remove from the HVAC head unit as well as the three electrical connectors

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
you can now remove the HVAC head unit from the vehicle

flip the head unit over and you can see where the bulbs are that need to be replaced these are bulbs with bulb condoms on them and not leds you can get them out with a small flat blade screwdriver simply twist and out they come

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when they are out they look like this make note that if you want white lights for your controls just remove the yellow condom

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now on the back of the head unit there are little white tabs that lock the switches into the faceplate gently pry the black housing back to release the clips it is the same on all 3 switches

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok now for the switch dissassembly flip the switch over and just like when you removed the switches from the face plate pry the white housing out to release the black clips and gently and slowly lift the inside of the switch up and out of its housing

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
ok now wiggle the push buttons off the switch and you will see the led burried under it

now gently pry the clips loose to seperate the control knob even further and seperate

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
when the switch is fully apart you will see a white gear with a notch in it please make sure you pay attention to where this notch is it must line up correctly or you can damage your component it is lined up with a little nipple on the inside of the switch itelf on mine

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
next seperate the blower motor switch just like you did the other two the button comes off the same way the only reason i am posting this one seperat is becaust the internals are different

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
OK........................ now all you need to do is replace the bulbs that get snaped into place with these ones from onzium.com or other retail shop you will need 3 for the head unit illumination

http://www.oznium.com/corvette-c5-led

and you will need three of these 3 mm LEDs in the color of your choice

http://www.oznium.com/led

Please note that the 3 MM LEDs and the C5 LEDs work just like Diods so if you but them in backwards they will not light up so please check your soldering work and connections with the switches dissconnected and apart to save yourself some heartach you can just plu them into the vehicle and test them before reassembling them now that you have done that and all works properly reassemble the switches carefully and confirm proper operation and full range of motion and reinstall in the vehicle

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
now for the airbag lights and the seat belt light for the passanger seat if you have done the Cluster already it is the same exact thing just swap out the LEDs with the PLCC-2 surfacemount LEDs and you are good to go

·
Boy Wonder
2009 MG Corolla S
949 Posts
Did you figure out the steering wheel controls and the door panel yet? Not rushing or anything, I'd just like to have a full parts list so I can order all these lights at once. Then I can do the DIYs as you post them.

And thanks in advance for this and any other DIYs you post. A lot of people have been waiting for a guide for these led replacements but the people who have done it have never explained how to do so.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts