Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Toyota | moving forward
1,535 Posts
So the last time I was under the hood of the gen 3.5, it almost fell on me.. I bought replacement hood supports from the dealer this weekend @ $66 each after a 30% off discount. Yes, they're expensive but the originals lasted 15 years so if these are the same, they'll outlast the car anyway. I just thought I'd put together a DIY.

The new hood supports

Part numbers

New bolts/connecting pieces
Note: The part connected to the hood (the piece shown here with the ball shaped head) just would not come off - I started stripping the bolt. So I ripped off the old hood support and stuck the new one on, reusing that ball shaped connector thing. Works just fine

Old one (left)

You'll probably want an assistant (my gf's lovely hand pictured here) or a carefully placed stick or something to hold the hood up.

12mm socket to remove the part attached to the car

This part was tricky, the left hood support is hooked into a wiring harness and let me tell you.. After 15 years of being like that, it wasn't easy to get out, but it only took a few minutes of wrangling it out and it was fine.

New hood support (right side)

New hood support (left side)

Both new hood supports

Old useless hood supports

All in all, an easy DIY but for myself, I really like being able to see it (in pictures) beforehand in whatever I do just so I know what to expect. I kinda just bought these new ones and hoped I would be able to swap them in without too much trouble. Don't mind the picture quality in some of the shots, I didn't want to fumble with my dSLR so I used my BlackBerry :chug:

·
Registered
115 Posts
That’s so weird; I did my hood struts yesterday!

Just a few side notes:

You CAN reuse the old bolts with the ball shaped head. You will first have to remove the bolt connected to the hood, and the bolt connected to the frame of the car. After that, you can use a dermal with a cut off wheel and cut the strut where the ball attaches. You will find there is a small ring that prevents the strut from simply falling off. With a screw driver you can pry that out and the strut will become free from the bolt.

Another thing to consider is the PASSENGER side strut is inaccessible using a ratchet; this is due to the wiper motor. The strut also has a flange that prevents regular wrenches from getting enough contact. You will need a 12 mm combination wrench to get at it.

Lastly, it is easier to disconnect the wiring harness first, prior to removing the driver side strut. Make sure the wiring harness is secured to the new strut when you are finished. I used some wire and tied it off to the new strut.

Hope this helps

·
92 Camry 5S-FE
92 Camry 5S-FE
485 Posts
You don't really need to remove the bolt with the ball end on it in the hood, or cut the strut to remove it. If you take that metal C-shaped retention clip off by prying it with a flat head screwdriver the strut will come right off the hood.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yep, 93 V6 3VZ had sealed hood struts. If you car has sealed ones, easyist way to change them is just buy new bolts with the ball on them.

·
Toyota | moving forward
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice write-up. Sure as heck beats getting a concussion from a falling hood :lol:. I'll add the link to this thread to the DIY sticky at the top of this forum :thumbsup:
Thanks! And yes, I think an ER visit and missed work would cost much more than replacements!

jordan7831 said:
That’s so weird; I did my hood struts yesterday!

Just a few side notes:

You CAN reuse the old bolts with the ball shaped head. You will first have to remove the bolt connected to the hood, and the bolt connected to the frame of the car. After that, you can use a dermal with a cut off wheel and cut the strut where the ball attaches. You will find there is a small ring that prevents the strut from simply falling off. With a screw driver you can pry that out and the strut will become free from the bolt.

Another thing to consider is the PASSENGER side strut is inaccessible using a ratchet; this is due to the wiper motor. The strut also has a flange that prevents regular wrenches from getting enough contact. You will need a 12 mm combination wrench to get at it.

Lastly, it is easier to disconnect the wiring harness first, prior to removing the driver side strut. Make sure the wiring harness is secured to the new strut when you are finished. I used some wire and tied it off to the new strut.

Hope this helps

Wow, we did it on the same day! As far as the ball-shaped head bolt thing (man that's a mouthful) I just took the old strut off of it, and snapped the new one into it. Is ours setup differently? My gen 3.5 is built in Japan if that matters.

I was able to use a small 12mm socket wrench just fine on the passenger side. It was a little hard getting leverage though.

I found that it was easier to remove the wiring harness after I had removed the driver's side strut. I pried the little tab thing up (which secures it to the strut) with a screw driver and wiggled it apart. I couldn't get it off when it was still connected to the old strut. YMMV here I guess, you just gotta do whatever works :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did it on my 2000 Camry. I followed the above awesome direction. Cut the ball joint on the existing Tokico/Toyota Support till I can fish out the small ring to get the whole ball joint out.

Once it is out, I put it on the new aftermarket lift support. I got the Strong Arm 4326 from Ebay. It fits very good.

I would like to use the original Toyota OE but for around $70 a piece, it is rather expensive. The aftermarket units was under $50 for the pair.

The 2000 Camry does not have any other obstacles to go through like electrical connectors, etc.

·
Registered
73 Posts
For Canadians in need of hood supports / struts

Just a quick heads up for Canadians looking for replacement hood support lifts / struts. Canadian Tire doesn't carry them, and Lordco wanted $51.99 per support, so that would have been about $115 with tax. As our American friends can buy them for as little as $12 each stateside, I ordered them off eBay. For my 93 Camry (LE Sedan, 4 cyl) the item description was:

StrongArm 4217L 4217R L&R (2) Front Hood Gas Lift Supports/ Bonnet, Struts

which I bought from "mrlousstuff" which is a top-rated seller (I have no connection with this business whatsoever). The lifts fit directly on with no modifications required, and they included the replacement ball-head bolt which bolts into hood. They've been on for a week or so, and work just fine.

The total price with shipping was $53.80 USD ($54.26 CAD - loving the current exchange rate!). What's annoying is the lifts were only $14 USD each, but the shipping was $25.80, whereas many of our American friends get free shipping. Still, it was by far the cheapest option and they arrived very quickly -- 7 days (not 7 business days) after placing the order.

PS - As these supports come with new bolts, I wouldn't bother trying to remove the old strut from the ball-head bolt on the hood. My struts were VERY difficult to remove from the ball (there was no clip to loosen the grip), and I bent one of the bolts while reefing on the strut trying to get it to pop out. It is much easier to simply unscrew the old bolt from the hood with a box-end, with the support still attached.

ND

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just a quick heads up for Canadians looking for replacement hood support lifts / struts. Canadian Tire doesn't carry them, and Lordco wanted $51.99 per support, so that would have been about $115 with tax. As our American friends can buy them for as little as $12 each stateside, I ordered them off eBay. For my 93 Camry (LE Sedan, 4 cyl) the item description was:

StrongArm 4217L 4217R L&R (2) Front Hood Gas Lift Supports/ Bonnet, Struts

which I bought from "mrlousstuff" which is a top-rated seller (I have no connection with this business whatsoever). The lifts fit directly on with no modifications required, and they included the replacement ball-head bolt which bolts into hood. They've been on for a week or so, and work just fine.

The total price with shipping was $53.80 USD ($54.26 CAD - loving the current exchange rate!). What's annoying is the lifts were only $14 USD each, but the shipping was $25.80, whereas many of our American friends get free shipping. Still, it was by far the cheapest option and they arrived very quickly -- 7 days (not 7 business days) after placing the order.

PS - As these supports come with new bolts, I wouldn't bother trying to remove the old strut from the ball-head bolt on the hood. My struts were VERY difficult to remove from the ball (there was no clip to loosen the grip), and I bent one of the bolts while reefing on the strut trying to get it to pop out. It is much easier to simply unscrew the old bolt from the hood with a box-end, with the support still attached.

ND
Great update!!! When I bought my replacement sometimes in 2010 or earlier, there is no direct replacement with the ball connection. It is a lot easier.

So this is great except I don't have the Camry anymore. Sold it to a friend but just in case they need it, I know the replacement.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
The cheaper hood struts look to have thinner center pistons than the OEM ones. They can lift the same weight of hood because they have inner gas (not hydraulic fluid!) at a higher pressure than the OEM. This higher pressure gas has a tendency to leak past their seals sooner and not last the 15 years the OP saw.

Of course if we have these cars in another 15 years the hood will be the least of our concerns...:cursin:

·
抵抗は無駄で&#
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,079 Posts
last Spring or so I also used OEM hood support replacements on my V6, because I was getting tired of getting my head bumped by the falling hood lol and using a car snow brush to hold the hood open just wasn't cool enough hehe

took me like 10-15 mins to swap them out, mounting is a bit tricky, but once you do one (I think bottom needs to get attached first by the hook and few turns of a bolt) then it goes easy and second one takes no time.

also on my model at least there is sort of a tension clip that holds the "ball joint" thingy, it releases it once pried off, and I think this part needs reusing as new ones don't come with it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I knew they were cheap and if they wear out I will use the free replacement program. I guess I will see how many more years I get out of them but $120 vs $21 gets a lot of return shipping. If it costs $5 to ship broken ones back. I get 20 returns to break even and as I said I have already gotten two years from them so at that rate the $120 would have to last over 40 years to be a better value.

I don't know though. There wasn't any obvious difference between these and the ones I took out.

·
Registered
'96 Camry LE & '13 ES350
37 Posts
I spent ~45 min last night replacing the factory hood struts on my 1996 Camry LE: ~5 min to remove old hood struts and install new ones, and ~40 min to separate the electric cables from the driver-side hood strut.

I suggest using a flat head screwdriver to first pry up the top-side of the plastic fastening clip, and then using the flat-head to push the clip loose.

I paid $23 for aftermarket ones on Amazon. They looked to be the same size as the OEM ones, though I wouldn't be surprised if they're not of the same quality.

·
Registered
1995 LE
2,405 Posts
I spent ~45 min last night replacing the factory hood struts on my 1996 Camry LE: ~5 min to remove old hood struts and install new ones, and ~40 min to separate the electric cables from the driver-side hood strut.

I suggest using a flat head screwdriver to first pry up the top-side of the plastic fastening clip, and then using the flat-head to push the clip loose.

I paid $23 for aftermarket ones on Amazon. They looked to be the same size as the OEM ones, though I wouldn't be surprised if they're not of the same quality.
I have had an aftermarket set on mine (Amazon

Maxpow 2PCS Gas Charged Hood Lift Supports Struts Compatible With Toyota Camry 1991-1996 SG329004
for about eight years. No problems at all.
W95c

·
Registered
'96 Camry LE & '13 ES350
37 Posts
I have had an aftermarket set on mine (Amazon

Maxpow 2PCS Gas Charged Hood Lift Supports Struts Compatible With Toyota Camry 1991-1996 SG329004
for about eight years. No problems at all.
W95c

That's great to know, esp. since I put on these same hood struts (MaxPow).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts