Toyota Nation Forum banner

DIY: Install Footwell Led Accent Lights in GEN 6

20235 Views 17 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Musicmansell
I know there is a DIY for installing ccfl in the footwells that turn on with the dome light. But this DIY i will show you how to install LED strip lights that light up with your headlights as an accent light looks great. check it out and bare with me this is my first DIY. I took pics with my iphone i hope they came out good and please let me know what you guys think. Here we go..................:D

!!DISCLAIMER!!
I'm not responsible for any damage done to the vehicle while installing these led strips using my DIY. Using my steps i successfully got these led strips to work. If you have never taken apart your vehicle interior or installed any type of alarm or radio or dont have any experience in car electric i would recommend getting someone who knows.Also i would like to add that these leds are bright and may cause distraction while driving. so you can cut the strips where indicated by a white line.

These are the LED strip lights i purchased from the wonderful v-leds (http://www.v-leds.com/Strip-Lights-LED/6-inch/sc244686-1-3//page/1/checkForLanding/true) website.

TOOLS:
*Screwdriver
*Pliers
*Crimping tool
*SPLICE VAMPIRE TAPS
*10mm socket
*electrical tape or heat shrink (I prefer)
*4 feet of double wire.
*and of course you will need the led strips

First off you want to remove the center console storage area in front of the shift knob which is really easy.

Then you will want to remove the glove box compartment to access the light because that will be our power source for these led strips on both sides.Now you will have to remove the whole frame that is around the glove box. there are a few screws on the top and a bolt on the side and just work your way around it is very easy took me 10 min.

There is bolt hole on the top where the dash reaches to.

Ok now you should see the light bulb harness. just tap into the wires DO NOT CUT, make sure you get your + and - correct. what i did is i basically got the 4 foot wire connected to the glove box light harness and made the 2 led strips share the whole wire, so i tapped into it for the passenger side led strip. then finished off running the rest of the wire towards the driver side.

ok once you have tapped into the glove box light then you are set. all you have to do is run the wire to the driver side.

at the end of the wire just connect the second led strip it with extender crimps. and after that just to be safe i used heat shrink to cover the crimps.

To be honest this is the part that took me a while, to decide where is the best place to put the led strips. to get a better effect cut the strip so that only 2 leds are on the strip and try to make the strip face inwards to direct the strong light inside and it will give a better effect.

on the passenger side there is a crease on the glove box frame where the white insulator is at.

this was all done during the day but i will be sure to put some night pics tonight. these following pics are during the day after the install.

They look bright but i was under a canopy and there was sunlight. but these are perfect for night accent lights they are dim. again i took the pics with my iphone which is not really good at taking pics but not bad. I hope you guys enjoy the DIY and find it really easy as i did.

I will post night pics when i come back tonight.
please let me know what you guys think.;)
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the idea from riding in my friends lexus. the led strips are no big distraction at all. like i said they are pretty dim. but thank you for posting it into the master list. "im also working on the cup holder led and the armrest storage led".

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cup holder and armrest I am definitely interested in! Plan on installing with switch or without?

Hope you're using the coupon code in the master led list for v-leds.
that will be a good idea. the led strips i believe can be cut to make the light dimmer if you find it too bright for accent.

Oh ya and i defiantly did use the coupon code. ;)

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
that will be a good idea. the led strips i believe can be cut to make the light dimmer if you find it too bright for accent.

Oh ya and i defiantly did use the coupon code. ;)
A friend ordered the same LED strip. They can be cut down to size so as long you cut where its indicated. I wonder if the part you cut off can be used again. May require some tinkering to gain access to the leads.

· ConeKiller Camry
2010 Camry LE
1,088 Posts
Weird, I never knew that they had 6" versions. I have the 12" version coupled with a 194 base for a very bright trunk light. Just something else these strips can be used for ;)

· JDM420.com
464 Posts
I just ordered the same 6" strips today for my front and rear footwells. Can you take higher quality pics from a distance to show how bright they are? I am planning to run this with my dome light since I think it may be too bright for night driving.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just ordered the same 6" strips today for my front and rear footwells. Can you take higher quality pics from a distance to show how bright they are? I am planning to run this with my dome light since I think it may be too bright for night driving.
they will be too bright for regular night time driving. what i did was i cut the strip on the white line so that i will have 2 leds on the strip which will be 2". then i put electrical tape on half of each led so only some light can go threw. and now it is perfect for night driving i dont even notice it, only when i actually look down. i will post some pics soon just havent had the time.

· ConeKiller Camry
2010 Camry LE
1,088 Posts
Hey Snake, just wanted to give you this tip if you didn't already think about it. Put 2 of them in your trunk but solder them to a 194 base so its a direct connect like a normal bulb. It makes it just as bright as any 12" CCFL set up. Its fun to see the area behind the car light up when the trunk pops open :)

· Workin' on it.
2007 Camry SE V6
493 Posts
I have had some fun myself with those led strips:

I went with blue tied to a switch to the left of the steering wheel under the change dish.
I also took the exact same strips you used and wired them into my headlights:

LEDs are fun, aren't they?:clap:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.