Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. Didn't find a DIY on how to replace the bulbs on the instrument clusters and HVAC controls here, so I thought I'd make one for the Avalon as well. I made a similar one for the Gen 4 Camry less than a year ago.

It's really easy. Takes a lot of patience but any layman can do it.

Here are some stuff you need to do this simple job:

Tools

2 Flat-head screw driver. A small and big tip are handy.
2 Phillips Screw Driver. Need one big point and a small point for different sized screws.
Small pliers with rubber grommet head or grip to take out the small bulbs

So the first step. Knowing which type of bulbs you need.

For the gauge, they're 194 wedge bulbs. You need about four.

The rest are 74 wedge bulbs. There are about 23 if you want to swap out all of them. The glove compartment is a 74 wedge bulb, as well as the ignition light bulb. The door lights are also 74 wedge bulbs.

Here are the LED bulbs I've got. I bought these from superbrightleds.com.

These are the list of bulbs I've got:
4 blue 194 wedge with twist lock holders
1 blue 74 wedge with twist lock holder
2 red 74 with twist lock holder
1 Neo4 twist lock cool white
2 HP3 74 wedge LED bulb
3 aqua white LED components (For the AC/ECT Module)
4 Amber 74 Wedge
3 Blue 74 Wedge
3 White 74 Wedge
6 Red 74 Wedge
2 Blue Neo4 Twist lock

Pry out the plastic covers starting at the middle vent and center console. Gently pry them out starting from the ignition area to the right side of the panel.

After you've done that, unplug the hazard light module so that you can free it from the console.

Behind the console, you'll see that the hazard button are screwed in. Unscrew them and you'll be able to get access to the bulb inside. The bulb for this module is a Neo4 twist lock bulb.

Now you have access to all the screw points. Unscrew them all

After you have unscrewed them, you have access to the AC Control HVAC module. There are only two bulbs that lights it up. You can just untwist it from the back and pull them out.
They're a wedge type bulb so you just need to pull it out. I used the HP3 LEDs for these for maximum output of light.

You also have access to the bulb for the ignition ring. Just pull out the bulb and put in the new one.

The AC/ECT Module is attached to the stereo unit. You just need to unscrew the brackets that are holding it in. Pull out the black module out that is attached to it first.

After that, there are screw points, unscrew four of the screws.

Once you took it out from there, you now have access to the ECT module.

The AC/ECT module has two Neo4 twist bulbs and four LEDs that are soldered onto the circuit board.

You will need to solder in the LEDs for the indicator lights.

In order for you to get access to the instrument cluster/gauges, you need to take out the plastic panel on the left vent of the steering wheel. Starting from the bottom, use your flat-head screw driver to carefully pry out the brackets that are holding it down. After you took that out, you now have access to the four screw points that is holding in the gauge housing. Remember, there are also three more screws located at the top of the plastic housing around the cluster area. Also, unplug the dimmer module located at the top left.

After that, you need to unplug the heads-up display that houses the clock, cruise, and ect module so that you can free it from console.

The cruise/ect module uses 74 wedge bulbs. I decided not to replace these since there's no point in doing so.

After that, you now have access to the actual instrument cluster gauge unit. There are four screw points. Unscrew them.

Once you unplug them, you can now replace the bulbs with ease.
I've tried my best to locate which bulb lights up what.

Some of these bulbs are hard to pull out with your bare hands, so use a small plier with a rubber grip and gently pry them out. If you squeeze to hard, you will break the bulbs and it will be harder to take out the base of the bulb out. So be patient and take them out gently.

After you're done replacing them, put everything back in reverse order and that's it.

This is what it looks like after I replaced them.

I've noticed that for the HVAC knobs, there is a green film there. That's why it's not totally white like I expected it to be. I'm going to go back to it later and get that fixed. I'm also going to replace the indicator lights in the shifter as well.

Hope this helped you guys out and happy modding. :D

EDIT: I have posted more images in the last page since photobucket decided to go corporate.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,811 Posts
Very nice! I'll add a link to this DIY in the stickied DIY thread.

·
Registered
Black 95 Avalon XLS
300 Posts
Very nice job. Much easier to read than my thrown together thread from a few years back. Too bad that the quick plug and play LED replacement still creates the darker spots in the automatic HVAC and AC/ETC consoles.

I've been too lazy to fix it still.. I'm probably just going to have to resort to the way that Jigg did his.

·
Avarollin?
1996 Avalon XLS
923 Posts
The steering wheel is covering it.;)
Oh look at that, it is. You should probably take another picture to make me feel bad on all the time I spent on mine :D.

Groaning and moaning aside, I'm sure other members would like to see the full effect, too. ;)

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice job. Much easier to read than my thrown together thread from a few years back. Too bad that the quick plug and play LED replacement still creates the darker spots in the automatic HVAC and AC/ETC consoles.

I've been too lazy to fix it still.. I'm probably just going to have to resort to the way that Jigg did his.
Oh the AC/Defroster and ECT area I didn't even put the bulb in yet as I was still waiting for them. I just got them in the mail yesterday and I'll post up new pictures once I have them installed. That's why it's dark in the picture, and yeah, the steering wheel was covering the lower part of the speedometer.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A total of $90 for all the bulbs you see.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^ Sorry for the late response, but I bought them all from superbrightleds.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
This was a big help in replacing some burned out bulbs in my instruments. It's interesting how much bigger the replacement 74 bulbs were than the originals. It's like they were on steroids.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my 1999 the HVAC cluster is buttons instead of knobs to control fan speed and direction. What type of bulbs do i use for that?

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Yeah the AUTO climate control is the same from 95-99. I wouldn't put leds unless you wire a led for each button.

·
Registered
99 Avalon
100 Posts

I also did the hvac and all the buttons but forgot to grab a pic. Take the advice and get the brighter bulb for the hvac, I went standard 74 and should have taken the advice. Now I gotta go back and redo it because it doesn't match the other bulbs as far as bright.

·
Registered
1999 Avalon XLS
37 Posts
So for my 1999, I'll need the 4 194 bulbs (green) for the gauges, 5 yellow 74's (CEL, SLIP, TRAC OFF, REVERSE, ABS) 5 red 74's (BRAKE, OIL, BATTERY, SEAT BELT, DOOR AJAR), 8 green 74's (Igntion cylinder, PARK, NEUTRAL, DRIVE, 1, 2, and both turn signals) and one blue 74 for the high beam. I only intend on replacing the instrument cluster, I'm not touching the AC controls. I'd like to have green gauges like LouisvilleGuy32 has. Sorry that I really don't know about these things, but it looks really straightforward to replace, no soldering? Another thing I'm wondering about is the twist lock holders. Which areas need them other than the 4 gauges?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts