Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Rolla Rider
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay guys, I've been getting a lot of pm's about my lights so I figured I'd post a DIY about them.

First off, I nor anyone else on this forum takes responsibility for your actions. We're all adults here, so lets act like it.

That being said, onto the DIY:

Dash Lights:

For the dash lights I followed a thread I can't seem to find so I'll try to talk you through it.

1) First you need to remove both the top and bottom pieces of silver trim on the left side of the radio. They just pull off.

2) Grab hold of the gauge bezel and just pull towards you and it will pop off. Hint: if you can put your steering wheel down and towards you so you have more room.

3) You should see two screw. Take them out and the gauge cluster should be free. Unplug the gauge cluster in the back and it should now be free.

4) There are tabs holding the clear plastic piece on. Use a screw driver to undo them all and pop the clear plastic piece off. Hint: Try not to touch the back of the plastic piece to avoid finger prints.

5) Use a small screw driver to pop the needles off. It might take some force but they will come off. Hint: Take a picture of the position of each needle so you know where they go.
Hint: For the fuel gauge, turn the car to the "on" position but do not start the car. Use this position for the fuel gauge position. Do the same thing when putting the fuel gauge needle back on.

6) Now flip the gauge cluster over and undo all the screw. Then undo all the tabs as before and the back should pop off.

7) You should now have the circuit board. Plug it into the car and turn you lights on and see where the leds are. You should see something like this:

I sourced my leds from ebay, but you can get them here:

http://www.oznium.com/plcc-2

They are PLCC-2 leds. Get whatever color you want!
These things are extremely tiny so I recommend using a real small set of needle nose pliers or tweezers to handle these things.

When swapping the leds I found it easiest to hold the soldering iron to one side of the stock led and use needle nose pliers to pull back the led from the board. Then I would put the soldering iron on the other side of the LED and pull it off.

If you look carefully at the LED, you can see the diode. Use your best judgement to install it correctly.

*Only do one led. Test it in the car. If it lights up then you have it installed in the right direction and all the other LEDs will be installed in the same way. Also, it's easier to test each LED than to have to go back and do it all over again.

8) Once you are done, reverse the steps and you should have something that looks like this :clap:

You can also look here for more info:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318663

It's the same principle.

HVAC:

For the HVAC I followed this thread:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319869&highlight=hvac+corolla+led+swap+change

You will need these leds:

http://www.oznium.com/corvette-c5-led

and

http://www.oznium.com/led

One of each for each dial (so 3 of each = 6 total)

I am cheap *read broke* so I used 5mm leds instead of the 3mm. I had to do extensive grinding and I do NOT recommend this. It's a PITA. I also made my of led holder out of the stock bulb socket and used a PLCC-2 led instead of the corvette light.

Hint: You do NOT have to completely disassemble your HVAC to do this mod.

Here's what they look like:

Foot Wells & etc:

For the foot wells I made my own kit out of 5mm LEDs. It was a PITA and I will not do it again (until I get my show car hehehe). What I recommend is buying a kit of some sort.

I wired my lights so they would come on with the dome light, and the headlight (either or). This way I can see when getting into my car, the foot wells are only on at night, and I can control the lights with the dome light for car shows so I don't have to have the exterior lights on.

Here's the wiring diagram I used. It is my design and I do take credit for it, so don't claim it as your own, but by all means please use it:

Not shown in the diagram is the kill switch I added so the lights won't come on at all. The kill switch is located between the relay and LEDs.

The diodes used are IN4004:

The relay used is a 5 pin mini pc relay part number 275-248
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062482

If you do want to mess with running individual LEDs in your car here are some pics:

I personally think this method is cleaner looking, cheaper, and better than any kit, but you pay for it in labor (I spend 30 hours on the install). But I only used two LEDs for each foot well, and the light is nice and even. This is done by grinding the LED so it disperses light more evenly.

However if you don't want to run individual LEDs, you can buy a kit and hook them up the same way. The install would be a lot easier, but I like the one off way :thumbsup:

Front Drivers:

Rear:

The setup is the same for the passenger side and the rear. For the rear I unclipped the seat cover from underneath the seat and poked two small holes for the LEDs. Everything is attached by hot glue.

For the cup holders I simply flush mounted the LEDs in a place so as not to distract the driver.

The same thing applies for the other cubby holes.

Here's a link for some more info:

http://www.speedysgarage.net/sportrunner/index.htm

Glove Box:

For the Glove box I used the under side of the top lid for one led. For the bottom glove box I mounted the LED behind the top plastic piece:

Top:

It's not pretty but you can't see it and it works!

Bottom:

Key Ring:

For the key ring I used medical plastic tubing (4-5mm), two leds, and a tiny torch to soften the tube.

I took off the steering column cover (it just snaps off) and wrapped the tubing around the key ring to get a length. I then filled the tube with hot glue, inserted the two LEDs, wired them in parallel, heated the tube and held it in the correct shape until it cooled. You should have something that looks like this:

I then hot glued it to the key ring and ran the wires down the stalk:

Test it and you should now have a working key ring light (that comes on when you unlock the doors if you wired like I did):

A little more info on the wiring:

I tapped into the light that lights up the gear selector by the gear shift. This way the light come on with the other interior lights.

The kill switch I installed in the arm rest so it's out of sight but still close to the wiring:

If you follow the wiring diagram the lights will function as such:

Turn on when you unlock the car
Turn on when you open the door (with dome light set to door)
Turn on with headlights
Turn on when dome light is set to on

Turn off when headlight turn off
Turn off when doors are locked
Turn off when the dome is off (if headlights are off)
Turn of when dome light turns off when door is opened for extended period

With the kill switch off, the lights are off no matter what anything else is doing. When the switch is on, the lights function as listed above.

Anyway I think that's it. If you have any questions or something to add just let me know! Good Luck.

Oh, and I know some people were interested in the key ring. I can either make a kit where you do it yourself, or I can do it for you and send the assembled unit. I only have white and blue LEDs. Depending on how many people are interested I can figure out a price. The kit would be cheaper than the assembled unit, but prices will be low no matter what (I'm not here to rip anyone off). Thanks.

Oh, the first three pictures of the disassembled dash are not mine. They belong to their respective owners. The rest of the pics, however, are mine. :)

·
Boy Wonder
949 Posts
Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,304 Posts
That's some good info & you sure did spend a lot of time on it. I'm lucky, I like the stock orange color so I've been thinking of just adding some orange led's to various places like you did. I sure like that key ring too, job well done! :thumbsup:

·
PLAYER 1
8 Posts
Holy smokes. Attention to detail and great documentation. Not for the faint of heart though eh?

·
Registered
10 Posts
a few questions about this mod, i'm fairly mechanically inclined and wiring is basic logic and i have been successful in the past with it so i plan on taking on this mod myself. the problem i see is where the LED's are tied into the headlight is at the bulb under the shifter, but i have a 5 speed. is the outlet or at least the wiring still there or close? does anyone know? also I was wondering what you used for a relay? lastly i saw you mentioned grinding down the LED's to distribute the light more evenly. how did you go about doing this? what did you use? is it possible to get LED's that are designed to do this already?

sorry for all the questions but i want to make sure that when i do it, i do it right the first time. thanks

·
Rolla Rider
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Holy smokes. Attention to detail and great documentation. Not for the faint of heart though eh?
It's actually not that hard. The wiring is pretty easy. I was just mounting the individual LEDs that was hard cause I basically stripped out the interior so I could work on each panel on my bench instead of of working in the cramped car. If you get a kit, the wiring shouldn't be to bad. I don't mean for this DIY to turn anyone off.

a few questions about this mod, i'm fairly mechanically inclined and wiring is basic logic and i have been successful in the past with it so i plan on taking on this mod myself. the problem i see is where the LED's are tied into the headlight is at the bulb under the shifter, but i have a 5 speed. is the outlet or at least the wiring still there or close? does anyone know?
I'm not sure about the manual car having the same light plug as the autos do. Toyota might have wired it up the same but just never put a bulb in (kinda like how all the cars are wired for fogs, but some have them and some don't). If you pull out your HVAC, you could possible tap into the 12v wire going into it. You'd have to probe around with a DMM to find it, but it should work while still being in a fairly central location.

also I was wondering what you used for a relay? lastly i saw you mentioned grinding down the LED's to distribute the light more evenly. how did you go about doing this? what did you use? is it possible to get LED's that are designed to do this already?
The relay is a mini PC relay from radioshack, part number 275-248
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062482

Here's what I was talking about concerning the LED grinding...

Here's a stock vs modded LED:

The silver, metal thing in the middle is the diode. You can grind the LED on all sides just don't get too close to the diode. I have to do a lot of grinding to get these 5mm LEDs down to fit where a 3mm LED went, so they can be modded a good bit.

Here's a comparison of the output beam (shots take about 4 ft away)...

Stock LED:

Modded LED:

You can see how the modded LED has no hot spots.

You can buy LEDs that have inverted lenses, but I now find these overpriced and inferior to just grinding a regular LED.

sorry for all the questions but i want to make sure that when i do it, i do it right the first time. thanks
It's no prob. I'm the same way lol. It much easier to do things once.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Questions about wiring

I'm a newbie here but i know the basic wiring stuff. I was trying to wire the lights just like you did, but came across some problems. The main problem is that I don't know where to wire the lights to, I know that you used speaker wire, can you tell me what I should do next? I took apart the shifter covers, steering column covers and etc. I took some pictures hoping to get some help.
1. mirror adjust cover

2. closer look

3. under the glove box

4. does anybody know what these connectors are for? I'm assuming one of them is for the LED light for AT shifter

·
Unofficial TN Member
1,429 Posts
Theres a light bulb under the gear shift that illuminates the gears (P,R,N,D,3...), twist it out from underneath and tap into those wires.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 5 speed manual, so there's no LED under the shifter so i don't know which connector is which. plus i want key ring light too, and i want to wire it to the dome light so i can see where to insert the key instead of scratching the surrounding area of the key hole. as far as foot well, glove box and the cup holders lights, i want to wire them to the headlights, so they come on whenever the headlight is on. anybody know how to trace the wires from the headlight besides opening every single wrapper and tape? I did a little research on google and found out that the service manual cost 1200 dollars and i can't afford that.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I have a LED series light. One end with the LED is a probe. the other end is a length of wire with a alligator clip. I just clip to the body(ground) and start probing the wire terminals to find the wire I want to connect to. I'll post a picture of it tomorrow if I remember.

·
Unofficial TN Member
1,429 Posts
I have a 5 speed manual, so there's no LED under the shifter so i don't know which connector is which. plus i want key ring light too, and i want to wire it to the dome light so i can see where to insert the key instead of scratching the surrounding area of the key hole. as far as foot well, glove box and the cup holders lights, i want to wire them to the headlights, so they come on whenever the headlight is on. anybody know how to trace the wires from the headlight besides opening every single wrapper and tape? I did a little research on google and found out that the service manual cost 1200 dollars and i can't afford that.
Then I think the best way to go is through the HVAC wires, If you have a multimeter, turn on the headlights and test all the wires and look for the HVAC illumination wire.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts