Toyota Nation Forum banner

DIY Interior Lights (Map, Dome, Shifter, Courtesy Doors, Trunk, and License Plates)

40546 Views 51 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  XLE2011
Hey guys. I was able to shoot video for the installation of the map, dome, shifter, courtesy doors, license, and trunk lights. This is from the 2007 Toyota Camry Generation 6. I changed them all to LED. Videos below:

Map Lights:
Requires: 194 Wedge Base Bulb

Dome Lights:
Requires a Festoon 3022 Bulb.

Shifter Lights:
Requires a 74 Wedge (Instrumental) Bulb

Courtesy Door Lights:

License Plate Lights:

Trunk Light:

Reverse Light:
Requires: 921 Wedge Bulb
I recommend getting the most LEDs with the highest output available (20 high powered LED bulb).

LEDs are bought from www.superbrightleds.com and www.v-leds.com
Here is my invoice from www.superbrightleds.com.

PRODUCT INFORMATION--

(Dome Light)
Quantity: 1
Product: 3022-x9 LED Festoon bulb $ 2.95 (each)
Options: White 3022-W9 2.00

(Courtesy and License Lights)
Quantity: 4
Product: WLED-xHP5 Wedge Base Bulb $ 5.95 (each)
Options: White WLED-WHP5

(Map Lights)
Quantity: 2
Product: WLED-xHP6 Wedge Base Bulb $ 4.95 (each)
Options: Cool White WLED-CWHP6

(Trunk Light)
Product: WLED-x5 LED Wide Angle LED bulb $ 2.99 (each)
Options: Cool White WLED-CW5 0.95

(Shifter Light)
Product: 74-xHP3 Wedge Base LED bulb $ 3.49 (each)
Options: Cool White 74-CWHP3

Invoice from www.v-leds.com
Quantity: 1 Pair
Product: V-LEDS HID WHITE 19 M-SMT 8W HIGH POWER BULBS 917 918 920 921 922 923
Price: $59.99

Any comment or feedback is greatly appreciated.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,681 Posts
nice video. should help out those who dont know how to read the instructions already out there.

· Rainier
Toyota Camry 2007 LE
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the trunk, there is no need to remove the whole liner. Just the top clips and maybe the one in the middle. Just enough that you can get your hand in there and get to the plugs.
Haha I know. I just thought it would be easier to take the whole thing off so the camera can see the linings of the car. By the way, I have posted links to your DIY section in the forum. They can be found in the video descriptions.

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
hehehe yes and they will have it on stock 6/9/09
well this mod will wait another week :D
I use this and its just as good

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

No bulbs are designated specifically for any application. So as long its the right size bulb, it will work. These will also work

and a bunch of other 194's

· Rainier
Toyota Camry 2007 LE
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No bulbs are designated specifically for any application. So as long its the right size bulb, it will work. These will also work

and a bunch of other 194's
Actually I would disagree but just by a little. Some LEDs, like the ones picture above are narrow and shoot light out while there are LEDs that are designed to have a wide angle or are placed evenly around a bulb.

Another factor you might want to consider are lumens. Some LEDs are brighter than others. High-powered LEDs are give off more lumens than standard ones.

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
Actually I would disagree but just by a little. Some LEDs, like the ones picture above are narrow and shoot light out while there are LEDs that are designed to have a wide angle or are placed evenly around a bulb.

Another factor you might want to consider are lumens. Some LEDs are brighter than others. High-powered LEDs are give off more lumens than standard ones.
Yes. True. But I was referring to size. Like for the courtesy, you can get a flank bulb that is aimed only on aimed on the side. This could also be used for other one directional locations such as rear reading lights.

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Majority of LEDs will cover 130° or more or something like that. Also, you have to see if the inside light has a metal plate. This can help disperse light as well.
One thing I wanna ask though, is, are LEDs "brighter" than regular? I can't remember the site, but one site said that LEDs aren't brighter than reg. Had me puzzling.
Depends on the lumens you purchase. You may notice that some leds may cost the same but one has more leds than the other. It could be that the lesser led may be a higher lumen.

My LED turn signals and reverse lights arent as bright as filament bulbs but still visible during the day. The light doesnt scatter and has a cleaner look when it flashes. My interior seems brighter. But it all depends on how much you want to spend and which ones you buy.

· PaintedHubCaps
94 Posts
damn. i opened the shifter panel and i tried to pull it out and it slipped and dropped into the darkness haha. now i NEED to buy lights =( but hey for the shifter lights, do you have to pull the whole thing out including that black part or just the bulb? (all clear with green rubber on it)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.