Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DIY:LED door handles

Hello everyone.Here is a DIY on the LED door handles on the gen6 camry.I figured since others have helped me in the past, i should give back and share this to the gen6 community.This was done on a gen6 XLE V6 with sunroof so there might be differences on those that don't have sunroof,or with models that come with smart key feature,but i hope it's not too much.The handles have other functions too like yellow LED turn signal light capability and some other stuff.I did tap the turn signal capability combined with the white LED but when i did,i lose the white LED function.I believe that there is a certain way of wiring it up so that one function doesn't cancel the other.But since I already have an LED turn signal mirror,i didn't really care much for it.Still when i get the time to figure out all the functions and how it should be wired,i will update this DIY.This is my first DIY so please be gentle with me on the comments.This mod took about two weeks for me to do:lol: mainly because either i had to stop and do some other stuff,it was raining or just plain lazy:facepalm:.Anyway if you have all the materials and tools, i would say one whole day would be good if you really take your time to do it.So here we go:

Where i got the handle.It says Camry on the link but on the website it says Rav4.contact them to make sure.
http://www.autosignalparts.com/toyota-camry-keylighthandle-upon-unlockturnsignal.html

Materials:
solder
wire taps
16-22G spade quick disconnects
electrical tape
little 3M double sided tape squares
shrink tubing
red,blue & black 22G wiring(about 40 feet for each color)

Tools:
wire crimper
wire stripper
soldering iron
wire coat hanger(for snaking wires)
at least a 12inch zip tie(for snaking wires)
T30 Torx socket screwdriver
Phillips screwdriver
flat head screwdriver
and your two hands:lol:

PART 1:REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION OF LED DOOR HANDLES

It's a good idea to start with the front drivers side first.Follow the instructions on how to remove door panels

then remove this and the other connectors to completely remove the door panel

Follow this to remove speakers

Then do this

Remove screws 1,2 and 3 so the door lock assembly can drop down but don't remove screw 4 just yet

Reach around on the inside to disengage the door lock rod.Try to feel where the rod ends and just push down on the part where it's engaged to

Unscrew number 4 torx screw.It doesn't totally come off so when you feel the outside door handle cover wiggle,you can pull it out.Then do this after to remove the actual handle

After removing,installation should be the reverse which is,install the door handle,the door handle cover,screw no.4 torx,reengage the rod to the door handle assembly then screw the other 3 torx screws.Test to make sure door opens and closes.It is also a good idea to use the grease that came from the old door handle and apply it to the new one so it slides in and out smoothly.After installing the handle and all the hardware,it's up to you if you want to go to part 2 and start with the wiring portion or remove and install the other three handles.

PART 2: WIRING INSTALLATION
2A:FRONT DOOR WIRING

Using electrical tape,route the wire on the back side of the door like so

Further down,route the wire behind the tube on the door.This is to make sure that the wires do not interfere with the operation of the windows.Tape the wires as much as you can on the door.

Use double sided tape to mount the module onto the backside of the door like so

Test your windows to make sure the wiring doesn't interfere with it.Next,cut about 7-8feet of each color of wiring.It's always good to give a little slack but it shouldn't be any longer than 8 feet.Use electrical tape to tape the three wires with the coathanger so you can snake it all the way to the other end of the kick panel.

Snaking the wire through the rubber requires some patience.Believe me when i say that I've wanted to kill myself many times when the wires won't pass through because of the limited space to work with:headbang:.Once you do get it through,keep going and hide the wiring like in the pics below.

Now take a flat head screwdriver and gently pry the dome light assembly, and once you have enough room,use your hands to gently pull down on the assembly.

Continue routing the wire like so

On the dome light assembly,disconnect the black molex and white molex connectors.You will only be tapping the wires on the white molex connector.Follow instructions on the pic.

Now at to the other end,either tap or solder(your choice)the wires to the handle wiring.On the pic,the blue wire coming from the handle is too thin to tap with the 22G wire that i bought and it would always slip out so i soldered it.This seems to be the only connection that really requires soldering.Don't forget to slip in the wire shrink tubing before soldering.If you do,you can always use electrical tape.

Now test to make sure handle lights up when you unlock and fades when you close the door just like the dome light.

2B:REAR DOOR WIRING

Now on to the rear doors.Push front seats all the way to the front to have more room to work with.Then remove these.

Then remove the door panels and route the wires behind the tube so it doesn't get in the way of the windows.And just like before,use double sided 3M tape to mount module onto the backside of the door.

Like before,cut about 6-7 feet of wiring for each color.Then route it using the zip tie like so.

Disconnect the molex connector by following instructions on the pic.As you can also see from the pic,this is only way for the three wires to go through.

This is how it should look like after routing it through.

Now like earlier go to the other end of the wiring and either tap or solder the wires to the handle wiring.Put back the door panels and route the wiring to the front like so.

Then tap it to the front end wiring like so.

Now test to make sure both front and rear LED handles light up.If so then you can do the passenger side.Now everything should be the same and the only difference is the front passenger wiring is gonna tap the drivers side wiring like so.

That's it.Hopefully if anyone else wants to do this mod,hopefully they will find this DIY useful.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is.But seeing it light up at night when i unlock the car and other people going WTF,PRICELESS!!!:lol:

·
Baby's got a new skirt
2,333 Posts
Nice job on the DIY. Thanks for contributing to the DIY section.

Depending on what this looks like in action, it has peaked my interest.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.I recently ordered the JDM mirror switch assembly so i might have another DIY since i don't really see one for the turn signal mirrors.This is what i ordered.

Ordered this one too.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the power folding turn signal mirrors.Want to go OEM look inside for the switch.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try to post a video tonight:thumbsup:.

K

·
0 Posts
I have the power folding turn signal mirrors.Want to go OEM look inside for the switch.
oh i misread it thought u lol thought u want to relocate yur mirror adjuster :D
clean work man, seem like i want to keep everything nice and clean

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Good job, very good write up. I was trying to wire up my puddle lights today, and now my dome light, map lights and door lights don't work. I'm stuck.

K

·
0 Posts
Good job, very good write up. I was trying to wire up my puddle lights today, and now my dome light, map lights and door lights don't work. I'm stuck.
check the fuse, happened to me be4 :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here's the videos.Enjoy:lol:

Third video shows you why you should make sure your connections are good.:facepalm:
First time i post a video and this is what happens.Oh well,enjoy guys.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
19 Participants
Ayotrav
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing