Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
So finally had the time to take some pics and redo my LED power folding mirrors with the JDM switch.Hopefully this will end all the questions about this particular mod for the Gen6 Camry:lol:.So here you guys go and hopefully it helps everyone.
PARTS NEEDED:
wire hanger
twist-on wire connectors
22-24 gauge wires
driver's side:5-6ft of wire for LED function and power fold function(x4)
passenger's side:8-10ft of wire for LED and power fold function(x4)
molex connectors(male & female)
molex pins(male & female)

This is where i got my LED power folding heated mirrors from so there might be differences with some other sellers.When i got mine,they did not offer the contol module that they are selling for $38.It is probably for auto folding when you lock and unlock the car with the alarm.You will not need it if you use the JDM switch as you can fold and unfold anytime with this switch.
http://www.autosignalparts.com/toyota-camry-powerfolding-signal-side-mirror-sae-rh.html
This is where i got the OEM JDM switch:
http://www.rhdjapan.com/toyota-oem-outer-mirror-switch-assembly-acv40-acv45-62980?nflag=1

remove door panel

After removing door panels,take out your old mirror assembly and put in the new one.Then do this:

Next we will need to modify the mirror switch panel a little in order for the JDM switch to fit as it is shaped a little differently since it is was made for RHD Camry and also it has a notch in the middle instead of the left.You don't really need to do the next two pics but i just wanted to show the notch more clearly.When you make the new notch on the panel though,make sure to not cut too much so the switch assembly will not be loose.Cut a little and then test fit each time.

Now we can do the wiring.First cut the necessary wires to their length and snake them through with a wire hanger so you won't have a hard time later.Four wires on each door.2 wires for LED signal and 2 wires for power fold function.

For reference,this is how the USDM driver side connector looks like

This is the connector that came from the LED mirrors

Can't connect them so i had to make my own connectors like this.Test to see all functions of the mirror adjust works and if you have heated mirror option,test it also.

For the LED signal,tap into the wiring by the driver's side door sill.This is a little tricky as some of them have the same colors on the wires.As you can see from the pics,i made a couple of mistakes too:facepalm:.This might change also with the 2008-2011 Camry but for the 2007 Camry that i have,the yellow with silver stripes is for the drivers side turn signal and the green with silver stripes is for the passenger side turn signal.From what i notice though,the wires were at the top of the pile instead of the bottom but you'll never know.Proceed with caution:lol:.Test to make sure they work.

Now for the power fold connection.We are going to need a different kind of molex pins than what we used on the other ones.If you can hunt down the exact same pins that Toyota used,then your all set.If not,then you have to get the best fitting ones for the connector.You can see from the pic that the one i used are a little bigger and i had to push them each time when i connect the connector to the mirror switch assembly because they get pushed out.As a result, i can't put the plastic cover that i took off from the first pic since the pins were bigger.

Finally,videos of the folding and LED function.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice diy bro, looks like alot of work. lol
Thanks.I've had it wired up for a long time with a momentary switch but not with the JDM switch.So mostly today was just taking pics and removing panels.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Nice write-up, detailed instruction!
I will choose this if the mirrors are the same to our OEM mirrors: flat, convex, and "Objects in mirrors are...". I wish Muth mirrors have the signal on the cover of the mirrors like this one, not the in-glass signal.

·
Paul_09WhiteV6
6,677 Posts
real nice write up. i'll prob get to this towards end of the year.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj181/hardogei/116.jpg
Alternative way is to just pop the rubber piece out from both sides and then squish it down until it's straight and a few inches long. Then you can feed wire in much easier.

It may be necessary to disconnect those wiring harness from the inside. I don't remember exactly. It's been a while since I've done the disassembly.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i forgot to say that if you could make a video showing your car from outside closing the folding mirrors would be great. again thanks
Put it up for you.Look back to the first post.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very nicely done. As a suggestion, for some of the pictures, the black text is hard to read on some images. If possible, redo it with white text
Which particular pics are you having a hard time reading?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Do you happen to know if the outer cover of the switch comes in black? I know for many SE owners who have that portion of their dash in black may also like to know. I browsed around and it seems like it didn't have it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you happen to know if the outer cover of the switch comes in black? I know for many SE owners who have that portion of their dash in black may also like to know. I browsed around and it seems like it didn't have it.
Anyone correct me but i don't think Japan has an SE version.I'm not sure either what the japanese Camry interior choices are but it might be harder to get it at a different color.Contact rhdjapan.com to confirm.

·
Joined the dark side. :D
5,745 Posts
nice write up, alot of work but looks pretty doable if you have time and patience.
I like mine none powered, i dont even fold them anyways :)
u r missing the main purpose.... it looks great and works great and most most of all very unique. :thumbsup: Though, I hardly use this feature on my car. Once in a while when driving I switch it for fun but find it uncomfortable unable to use the mirrors so I flip it back to normal almost instantly. :lol: I know it's purpose is for parking but if the space is that tight I wouldn't park there anyway.

See below

The last pic is the passenger text

Just making it easier to see and for those who want to print it out for reference
dc is right, basic rule for text is not to have it camouflage. :D Unless it's invisible ink. :D

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It is hard to find the mirrors similar to our OEM mirrors but have the LED outside. I am still looking for the whole mirrors assembly that:
- Driver-side mirror is flat; passenger-side mirror is convex.
- The words "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear" are on the passenger-side mirror subject to the DOT standard.
- Heating
- LED outside
Folding is not neccessary to me. Unfortunately, all of the mirrors I've seen do not satisfy the first 2 conditions, except Muth mirrors, but they have in-glass signal, not LED outside signal.

·
must.resist.modding
5,234 Posts
It is hard to find the mirrors similar to our OEM mirrors but have the LED outside. I am still looking for the whole mirrors assembly that:
- Driver-side mirror is flat; passenger-side mirror is convex.
- The words "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear" are on the passenger-side mirror subject to the DOT standard.
- Heating
- LED outside
Folding is not neccessary to me. Unfortunately, all of the mirrors I've seen do not satisfy the first 2 conditions, except Muth mirrors, but they have in-glass signal, not LED outside signal.
Considering all the turn signal mirrors are overseas, they will not have the DOT standard writing. If you wanted to, you can have custom vinyls printed and add it yourself or just spray paint it on with stencils or something.

driver side flat and passenger side is convex is available. Most places dont state it but you should ask them.

Go to eBay and search for "nabobery" as the seller. Mirrors are heated, LEDs on the outside and they ask you to state LHD or RHD when ordering. You can also ask him and double check about the mirrors whether driver side is flat and passenger side is convex for LHD.

Better yet, here is the link to seller - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350253777111&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT. He also has auto fold option which costs slightly more.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
About this Discussion
93 Replies
35 Participants
Robosphinx
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing