Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
HellaAverage
2010 Corolla S
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright guys so i know clintj did this DIY but im gonna show you how to install the LED strips in order to turn them on/off whenever(without the parking lights). I prefer this so you dont have to tap into any other wiring.

DISCLAIMER: PLEASE remove the ground from your battery before starting anything so you dont accidentally fry anything.

First i Purchased these LED STRIPS

I have a photo of the Rocker switch i purchased but cant seem to find the exact link on Autozone.com
the switch i purchased has 3 prongs as shown in my drawing. the 3rd one(if you prefer) goes to another ground ONLY if you want the little led bulb inside the switch to light up. but it still works fine if you use these exact schematics

this is how i placed the LED strips along the bottom on the headlight.

I ran the two wires through the slit where the headlight and end of the front bumper meet

from there i met the two redwires in the middle, twisted them together, and ran them to a single red wire using THESE
(you can refer back to the SCHEMATIC)

i connected the black wires from each LED strip to THESE
and then put them each to a ground like in the photo
(NOTE: sand a little bit of paint off so you make a good connection from the ring terminal to the chassis)
here are pictures of where i placed them.
LEFT SIDE

RIGHT SIDE

NOTE: i covered the red wires with a black cover so it looks cleaner sorry if its hard to notice.

i puchased THIS FUSE BOX and connected it to the positive battery terminal.

(you can see it in the middle left... right above the positive terminal)

NOW the wire coming from the fuse box and the single red wire coming from the LED Strips should run all the way through the firewall grommet (these two wires are going to the ROCKER switch)
the easiest thing i did was use a metal hanger and grabbed the two wires and PUSHED the wires through the grommet. NOTE: there is somewhat of a hole in the grommet already but i dont believe it goes all the way through. so use that as a guide.

you can see both red wires (COVERED with the black snake plastic cover) going to the grommet
(THE ONE CLOSEST TO THE TOP OF THE PHOTO)

farther to the grommet

the black snaked plastic cover ENDS and the red wires going through the grommet
NOTE:its at the bottom of the photo

this is the photo from the inside of the car under the steering wheel

going to the rocker switch. i drilled through the little plastic cover to place the switch and wired the two red wires to the rocker switch.

now reattach your black battery terminal. this will allow you to turn your LED strips on and off with the flip of a switch with the car off...car on...drls on...headlights on....WHENEVER! :cool:

IF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR WANT ME TO TAKE ANYMORE PICTURES OF SOMETHING SPECIFIC THEM LET ME KNOW. :)

·
Registered
09 Corolla S!
508 Posts
Has anyone thought about baking the headlights and putting the strips inside the housing? This looks sick, but the install (simply using adhesive and sticking them on the outside of the headlamp,) is kinda' rice. D:

·
HellaAverage
2010 Corolla S
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah theres definitely a few people who have baked the headlight housing open and placed them in there but thats a little bit too much of drilling and heating. haha going through that much work you might as well purchase a whole new set of headlights with projectors and LEDs installed already.
yeah ive seem a lot of cars who make them riced out around wrapping an LED strip around each headlight and under things. thats why i tried to make this clean and simple as possible.

i suppose you can use another DIY to open the housing and then use this to wire them! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
09 Corolla S!
508 Posts
Thanks none the less man, that's insane looking. I might just try to reverse the mounting to keep that black wire connector-thingy out of sight, then add a bit of light-black window tint to help them blend in.

·
Registered
174 Posts
hey man could you take a better pic of them on? they seem to be coming out purple.. when im sure they are white..

·
HellaAverage
2010 Corolla S
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey man could you take a better pic of them on? they seem to be coming out purple.. when im sure they are white..
haha yeah man as i stated above they are purple. cause im special!
but really i purchased white ones(as seen in my avatar) and then purchased purple tint off ebay,
cut it out in long strips, and placed the tint over the LED strip. i may have a pic with them white still let me see.

no I actually think it is purple :D
:thumbsup:

·
HellaAverage
2010 Corolla S
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here man!
and when i purchased them...out of the 3 white ones available...these had a weird slight tint of blue.
so if you get the white ones...they will be even whiter FYI :)

·
Mr. Roo
Lexus IS300
11,041 Posts
Looks good man, you know 7 years ago when I started, I had my mind on purple lights... this was actually my first mod ever lol

and it was sick LOL. But you can see I changed my mind and went with blue instead. But I had not seen anyone else use purple for 7 years until now!

They look nice, not very bright though? If you redo them, how hard would it be to reverse them, so that they start at the center of the car? Looks like it would install cleaner. But it looks like you did this without removing the head lights at all? Looks good bro, let us know if you ever get a ticket for em :thumbsup:

·
HellaAverage
2010 Corolla S
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Looks good man, you know 7 years ago when I started, I had my mind on purple lights... this was actually my first mod ever lol

and it was sick LOL. But you can see I changed my mind and went with blue instead. But I had not seen anyone else use purple for 7 years until now!

They look nice, not very bright though? If you redo them, how hard would it be to reverse them, so that they start at the center of the car? Looks like it would install cleaner. But it looks like you did this without removing the head lights at all? Looks good bro, let us know if you ever get a ticket for em :thumbsup:
haha yeah thanks. im trying to stand out amongst the vast array of blue and yellow cars now. meaning blue HID lows and Yellow fogs. I actually have 5000k lows and 12000k purple foglights and will put up a picture when i get a chance.

the LEDS are pretty bright at night but definitely not bright enough to drive. the install would look a bit cleaner if i reversed them but it was difficult sliding the wires under the headlight so i used that opening. but yeah its definitely possible to have them reversed for a smaller schematic.

ive driven with them and my white lows AND purple fogs next to state troopers, cops and a constable i think and ive never gotten a ticket. and i never ride with them by themselves at night though cause its useless and dangerous.

here in texas they arent too strict about it...only about crazy people that have bright ass pink HID low beams or green lowbeams and orange fogs and crazy things. i actually saw a truck with 30000k pink lows and fogs! crazy stuff right there haha

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks a lot for the tutorial . I have been looking at thread after thread, and it seems that most people forget to detail one of the most important things, the connections and wires.
I haven't bought anything yet but I have visually traced and placed where I want everything to be.

I am however still a little confused about the wiring. Is there like a fuse I can buy and just plug it into one of the empty slots in my fuse box to get 12v power?

I have read some treads about tapping the DRL wire, but no one actually shows which wire to tap. I am looking for the simplest solution that does not after the MINT condition of the Camry.

Thanks!

·
HellaAverage
2010 Corolla S
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a lot for the tutorial . I have been looking at thread after thread, and it seems that most people forget to detail one of the most important things, the connections and wires.
I haven't bought anything yet but I have visually traced and placed where I want everything to be.

I am however still a little confused about the wiring. Is there like a fuse I can buy and just plug it into one of the empty slots in my fuse box to get 12v power?

I have read some treads about tapping the DRL wire, but no one actually shows which wire to tap. I am looking for the simplest solution that does not after the MINT condition of the Camry.

Thanks!
yeah no problem! well i purchase a fuse holder like in the picture below and wired it from the battery to the positive wiring like in the diagram above.

im not really sure if you can just wire it to the original fuse box and place a micro fuse in its place under the steering wheel, i believe it would be a bit more complicated. :eek:

also there is another thread about taping it to the DRLs, my thread was created in order to not tap into that wiring. because as you can see in my signature, i really like the LEDs look without the parking lights on.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the response!
Now I am kinda of torn between the two options.

YOURS:
Simple clean install, as long as I can figure out how to pass the wire for the switch inside the car, that seems like the only trouble I would run into. Also its cool to be able to cut it off completely.

DRL Method
I kinda like this method , so i don't have to worry about a switch, but I don't like idea of tapping into anything, especially because , I am about to go crazy with the LED's and I don't want to overload anything.

here is my vision, lol, I hope it does not look too ????????. 3 designs below.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
DRL Method
I kinda like this method , so i don't have to worry about a switch, but I don't like idea of tapping into anything, especially because , I am about to go crazy with the LED's and I don't want to overload anything.
use a relay. it will be your electromagnetic switch. you'll still need to tap into something since i has to figure out if your drl's need to be on or off but you won't overload the circuit.

·
HellaAverage
2010 Corolla S
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
use a relay. it will be your electromagnetic switch. you'll still need to tap into something since i has to figure out if your drl's need to be on or off but you won't overload the circuit.
I agree with you on this one but the unfortunate fact about these LEDs is that they arent much use at all as literal DRLS cause they suck at being bright unless you pay for a specific DRL set.

I disabled my DRLs but honestly only use these at dusk and dawn times.

XUNDRE...i used a wire hanger to pull the two red wires through the rubber grommet. I KINDA like the look you're going for in the 1ST design, the other ones look a little bit too much.

I believe they have Longer strips now at autozone and pepboys i think 18in which is awesome and the RED ones are always crazy bright.

note: im not sure how legal having red ones on while driving though :ugh3:

as you can see in my SIG i changed the strip to some i bought on Ebay. these are pretty freaking bright. not sure if they have red in this form but yeah.

·
HellaAverage
2010 Corolla S
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RED LED STRIP

hey I found some like the ones i have on now but in red. they look pretty awesome. unfortunately they are in china...(long shipping :( ) and only 12" which i think might be a little too short for the looking you're trying to go for especially on the camry

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with you on this one but the unfortunate fact about these LEDs is that they arent much use at all as literal DRLS cause they suck at being bright unless you pay for a specific DRL set.

I disabled my DRLs but honestly only use these at dusk and dawn times.

XUNDRE...i used a wire hanger to pull the two red wires through the rubber grommet. I KINDA like the look you're going for in the 1ST design, the other ones look a little bit too much.

I believe they have Longer strips now at autozone and pepboys i think 18in which is awesome and the RED ones are always crazy bright.

note: im not sure how legal having red ones on while driving though :ugh3:

as you can see in my SIG i changed the strip to some i bought on Ebay. these are pretty freaking bright. not sure if they have red in this form but yeah.

Am still trying to figure out what a relay is, looked on Google, saw something that looks like a fuse, but.......a picture or perhaps explanation of what to do with it would help. As you can tell, I was asleep in my electronics 101 class :confused:

The first design it is then! ( I saw it on a Mercedes and it looked really good). I need to put a Patent on it, lol. pictures coming soon.

Just ordered some really cheap LEDS from Ebay :) including for the licence plate and door lights. So after the 3 weeks shipping time, I can start installing. In the mean time, this DIY project has got me really excited.

I will look into your hanger trick and also the relay thing.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
21 Posts
RED LED STRIP

hey I found some like the ones i have on now but in red. they look pretty awesome. unfortunately they are in china...(long shipping :( ) and only 12" which i think might be a little too short for the looking you're trying to go for especially on the camry

I am going to stay away from all colors but white. From what I have read thus far, they are illegal, at least in Georgia where I am. No point in paying $2xx fines just for a ride to the grocery store.

·
HellaAverage
2010 Corolla S
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am going to stay away from all colors but white. From what I have read thus far, they are illegal, at least in Georgia where I am. No point in paying $2xx fines just for a ride to the grocery store.
yeah well the white ones will look pretty nice! :thumbsup: if you need anything else just ask.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks! I do appreciate the help.

I also found something real cool today at Pepboys its a wireless 12v remote control! Can't find it online but here is a picture. Will most probably be using this! It also has that relay thing in it.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts