Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Toyota Addict
2018 Camry XSE
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Note: If you find this helpful please use the thanks button under this post.

1st Order (2) 12V 24cm flexible LED lightstrips (waterproof)

I ordered this exact one -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250465176194

You will need some 3M double sided tape, 4 wiretaps, 4 butt connectors, wire stripper/crimp, flathead screwdriver, and maybe an extra foot or 2 of some ~22 gauge wire (speaker wire works well).

1st use the flat head and remove the push clip in the fender skirt and pull it back. Then reach in and remove the parking light (make sure you get the one that only has 2 wires. I then used a razor to slice the black tubing about 1" that covered the wires to make accessing them easier.

Now use the wire taps and a foot of the extra wire and wire tap into the parking light wire.

Not the greatest picture but this is with the wiretaps in the parking light.

Now strip the other end of that wire and connect your LED lights to test for proper polarity by turning on your parking lights. (If the first try doesn't work just reverse the polarity and it should work.)

Now that you have proper polarity use the butt connectors and connect the wires.

Snake the LED strip through to the engine bay so that you can now mount it with the double sided tape.

You can now put your parking light bulb back into the lamp, and replace the fender skirt.

Now you need to apply the double sided tape to the LED strip. The thin double sided tape from 3m fit the width perfectly. **I made the mistake of putting the double sided tape on them first and one of my LED's wires go towards the grill instead of the parking light which left excess wire in the engine bay and 3M tape is a pain in the ass to remove.

Now you can pull the backing off of the 3m tape and apply it the way you want it to your headlight. I followed the etched line in the headlight with my LEDs because it flows perfectly with the hood.

Wire tie any excess wires under the hood and repeat for opposite side.

Sorry all pictures were taken after.

I will have a night time picture up this evening hopefully!

Now I just ordered super white headlights and fog lights because you really notice the yellow in your stock lights and I am not an HID type of guy.

·
Boy Wonder
2009 MG Corolla S
949 Posts
I'm really impressed with the surge of DIY's lately. So many new ways to customize our cars besides the standard intake, exhaust, tint, rims, and a drop.

Can't wait to see a night shot of this.

Also, be careful with sylanias whiter headlights if that's what you're planning on getting. They all burn out really fast. I always check amazon reviews on stuff before I buy it and Sylvania has some pretty bad reviews.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
Nice work, added to the DIY sticky. :thumbup: Keep em coming guys.

Remember, if you have another one to add, PM me letting me know in case I miss it.

·
Registered
09 Corolla Matrix
665 Posts
tasty

·
Registered
101 Posts
I always though the top of the 10th gen's headlights were missing something. This uses that space perfectly, and it's such a cheap mod as well too.

Great work.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Maybe it's me, but if you're looking for a "sporty" look, you don't want pin stripes. It's a little to 70's in my opinion.

Also, it ought to be a riot trying to clean the bugs and crap out of those LED strips.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I like the idea, but I wish the strips were longer to run along the entire top of the light, right now it just looks kind of "universal".

·
Registered
2009 Corolla XRS
250 Posts
I was thinking of doing that but I would have put them farther back so they are hidden. Up agains that little back ridge of the headlight lense...

I'd like to see that that looks like. I would rather have them out of plain sight and have a glow emitting until you were head on.

·
Toyota Addict
2018 Camry XSE
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like the idea, but I wish the strips were longer to run along the entire top of the light, right now it just looks kind of "universal".

This just feels in the gap between the light and hood entirely. Nothing is stopping you from getting a longer strip and doing that though I guess.

·
Boy Wonder
2009 MG Corolla S
949 Posts
I think I might do this, but Id rather have them as DRLs instead of the high beams. Or do you think thats not possible since theyre adjusted depending on lighting conditions?

·
Registered
09 Corolla S
2,598 Posts
I was thinking of yellow high beam DRLs w/ a yellow stripe...going for a mad look...not sure though...what do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 110 Posts