Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Lexus IS350
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DISCLAIMER: I, nor TN, are responsible for any damage you may cause, or any tears you may shed, while following this DIY.

My old flip style rear view mirror was getting a little bad looking on the bottom of the mirror, so I decided to go pick up an OEM auto-dimming one. I did not care for homelink as I have no need for it, nor do I need temp since thats on the car already, so I wasn't interested in a non oem mirror. Plus I like simplicity, so plug and play is always nice. I paid $70 for the mirror, you can expect to pay around that as well.

Anyways, from my understanding, our Camrys should come prewired for the auto-dimming mirror, or at least the sunroof equipped models should come prewired. The plug sits in the overhead console near the drivers side sunvisor taped down. It's just a little white plug with a black sheath around the wiring.

Tools Needed:
-Your hands
-A smallish hex key (I don't know the exact size) or a smallish torx screwdriver (again, sorry, don't know the size!)

From start to finish, this shouldn't take you longer than 10 minutes to do. Let me emphasize first that you should make sure you're prewired for the auto-dimming mirror before you go out and buy one unless you prefer to hardwire things, or return things.

Here's a look at my old mirror:

Step 1: Check if you're prewired for the mirror. Start by pulling down the overhead console. Push on the sunglasses holder to drop it down, grab on with both hands, and pull down. Don't worry, you shouldn't break anything, but don't pull down insanely hard otherwise you may pull some wires out of the harness attached to it. Now check near the drivers side sunvisor and see if theres a plug taped down, if there is, fantastic!

Step 2: (if you're not prewired for the mirror, you can stop here)
Push that plug through the hole near the windshield to get that out of the way. You can now put the overhead console back on.

Step 3: Behind your stock rearview mirror, theres a little screw holding it on. You'll need either a hex key, or a torx screwdriver to remove it (although you can probably use a flathead to get it out if you want). DONT LOSE THAT SCREW. Once you unscrew it, pull up on the mirror to get it to slide out of the little metal mount its sitting on.

Step 4: Now that the old mirror is out, get the new mirror. Get the plug you pushed out of the overhead console and plug it into the mirror. Now, slide the mirror back onto that metal mount and then screw it in.

Step 5: Turn your key on, or to acc, and the mirror should now turn on. Easiest way to tell is if the compass comes up.

Step 5.5: Admire your hard work and your fancy new mirror!

·
Premium Member
2008 Lexus IS350
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the numbers on the back of it is 8781006050, which Googling that provides results, although it seems the sites that pop up want 500 for it? :eek:

·
Premium Member
2008 Lexus IS350
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I was watching that one a few days ago. Found another one on eBay that was selling locally so I went and picked that up instead and they took 70.

Thanks for 70 this is a cool mod. My mirror has the peeling as well. so i will be looking into this shortly.
Yep. Def worth it, IMO anyways, already came in handy tonight.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,605 Posts
Did you look specifically for a Camry mirror? I imagine most mirrors from other models will work as well (Prius, Highlander, 4Runner, Avalon, etc.).

·
Premium Member
2008 Lexus IS350
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you don't mind doing a little wiring these can be had for about $20 at the pick and pull type junk yards.
That'll work too. :wink:

Did you look specifically for a Camry mirror? I imagine most mirrors from other models will work as well (Prius, Highlander, 4Runner, Avalon, etc.).
I only looked for the Camry one originally, I'm assuming as long as the plug is the same for the others, it'll just hook right up to the Camry's.

·
Registered
2013 Camry XLE
1,901 Posts
I don't mind wiring so I just got what ever was available, I think it was from an Escalade or Suburban. It had compass and temp. So I also got the temp. Sensor, now I have both interior and outside temp. Just had to run switched power, constant ground and a reverse trigger so it doesn't dim if you are in reverse.

·
Premium Member
2008 Lexus IS350
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2011 LE Camry with no sunroof. Would this have the connector? I don't want to start it if it doesn't have it. How would the overhead console come out?
Nice little upgrade, I would like to try it.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
2008 Lexus IS350
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a 2011 LE Camry with no sunroof. Would this have the connector? I don't want to start it if it doesn't have it. How would the overhead console come out?
Nice little upgrade, I would like to try it.
Thanks for sharing.
Take a look at step 1. ;)

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,605 Posts
My 2009 LE without sunroof is not prewired. I will also note it wasn't prewired for fogs either. If your car was prewired for fogs, then maybe check to see if there is a correlation.

·
Registered
2013 Camry XLE
1,901 Posts
Why is every one so scared of running wires? It isn't rocket science. You only need 3 wires. A switched power, a constant ground, and a reverse trigger.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,605 Posts
Nobody is acting scared. It's just a lot nicer to be prewired and point it out.

I just popped out my overhead console and looked for a wire.

You wouldn't go out of your way to make a harness if you had a convenient plug taped to your headliner would you?

·
Premium Member
2008 Lexus IS350
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why is every one so scared of running wires? It isn't rocket science. You only need 3 wires. A switched power, a constant ground, and a reverse trigger.
Nobody is acting scared. It's just a lot nicer to be prewired and point it out.

I just popped out my overhead console and looked for a wire.

You wouldn't go out of your way to make a harness if you had a convenient plug taped to your headliner would you?
+1.

If you don't mind paying the extra money for the OEM solution with the harness already there, why not do it? Not everyone likes playing with the wiring, I personally don't mind myself, but I did it as per what I said above.

·
Registered
95&01 rolla 07 camry
316 Posts

07 Camry LE, J Vin, made in Feb,07, no sunroof, no bluetooth have no prewiring for auto dim rearview mirror

But i do believe my car come with pre-wiring for foglight? the yellow plug?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts