Toyota Nation Forum banner

701 - 707 of 707 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
You'll have to excuse the silence. As the number of owners of this era Tacoma has declined, the number of eyes on the question has reduced, and the time of responses have slowed. I still get here, but since its not my daily driver, I'm not here every day anymore. Suspect that is true of a lot of us anymore.

·
Premium Member
2016 Corolla S Prem
3,616 Posts
My silence was because I simply don't know. Mine was an '08 automatic... I put an Audiovox cruise in my '94, but instead of using a clutch safety, I programmed the setting that automatically canceled if engine RPM jumped by 500rpm.

·
Registered
08 Taco DC 4x4 6spmt
9 Posts
i appreciate the help, i realize that had sounded facetious before. I totally get that this is less frequently visited now that that new models and toys have come out. life has a way of getting in the way

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
so to be clear, the first photo with my hand is the clutch switch..which is i believe wired to the clutch start cancel switch.

second photo is a connector 90 degrees to the left on the fender side, what the foop is this?

i guess the real question is can you run cc with that clutch cancel?

The clutch start cancel switch and clutch switch you note have nothing to do with the cruise control. There is yet one more switch and it has everything to do with the cruise control. Located high in the dash on the driver's side near the top of the clutch pedal mechanism is an adjustment for the clutch pedal travel. It serves two purposes: adjusts the clutch travel and as mount for the cruise control cancel switch. The bracket there has a plastic stop piece (try looking for a little green plastic dot/pad little thing) for the clutch pedal, and on the opposite side of that there is a vertical bolt that has a stop nut to adjust the travel. The switch is installed here as follows:

What you do is take that clutch travel adjustment bolt out and replace the bolt with the cc cancel switch. The bottom of the switch has a long threaded neck that takes the place of the threaded steel bolt you removed.

DIY Tip: The switch is high, and I mean high up behind the dash panel and real easy to miss. You can reach real high up and find it by feel, knowing you have found it when you hand starts bleeding from the sharp metal cuts, and I have done it this way, or you can remove the lower dash panel(s) for better view and ease of replacement. I prefer the later.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Tacoma Reg Cab Manual 2.7l 4X4
2 Posts
I appreciate the silence, it has given me a greater opportunity to scrutinize the sheer stupidity in my question.🤦 I was thinking the clutch cancel switch WAS the clutch switch required for the cruise...as it appears this is not the case.:cursin: I have answered my own question. Thank you to all that helped haha. :raar:

in my defense my wife was out of town and I was catching up on discovering the local beer scene..sooooo...wasnt thinking in the clearest of states..
Hi RimfiredUp

Were you able to get your cruise control working with the "clutch cancel" switch? I have a 2008 Tacoma Reg Cab Manual 2.7 4X4 and planning to hook up the OEM stalk. Been running through the thread and haven't seen any info on the "clutch cancel" switch. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
As Taco 09 said above, there are two switches in play normally, as others have noted, and a third added with cruise.. The official "Clutch Start Cancel Switch" on the dash is so you can easily start the truck without depressing the clutch, often used for wheeling I'm told, may only be on the OR versions. The next one (Clutch Start C8) is the switch on the top of the clutch pedal, telling you the clutch is fully depressed, so you can start the truck without lurching. There is another switch added (Cruise Control Clutch SW c14) to say you have pressed the clutch down just a bit, and thus to disengage the cruise so you don't over rev the engine.

I have an AT, so can't go look at reality.

C14 is your choice. The pic RimFired showed of a switch is the C8 switch. (clutch all the way down)

The C14 switch is supposed to plug into a Light Blue with Black tracer on one pin, and a light green on the other. The second pic that he showed of a connector should not be the correct one, it is supposed to be in the left kick panel next to the drivers foot,a nd a 42 pin connector (IA1, uses pin 40, light blue /black tracer)

CB91710 said his switch was already installed, and Taco09 said it was REALLY high. Follow your clutch all the way to the top. The very first post, last two pictures attempt to show what the bolt looks like, and where it is, although fuzzy. Most of the early posts say you don't get the clutch switch.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Tacoma Reg Cab Manual 2.7l 4X4
2 Posts
Thanks RTFM! I ordered all of the parts today and plan to install them over the weekend. Hopefully, my '08 is prewired, and I don't have to purchase one of the Rostra Kits.

I was reading that around 2008 - 2009 is when Toyota began to remove the pre-wired connections.

701 - 707 of 707 Posts