Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: Use this guide at your own risk! I assume no responsibility for any damage to your vehicle or personal injury as a result of following this guide. Any comments to improve this DIY will be gratefully appreciated.

Parts\Tools Needed:

• Jack Stands
  • Hydraulic Jack
  • Oil Filter Wrench
  • Drain Container
  • 5qts of Oil
  • Oil Filter
  • 14mm Wrench
Step 1: Engage the parking brake and block the rear wheels.

Step 2: Position where the jack stands and jack need to go.

Step 3: Jack up the car then set it on the jack stands.

Step 4: Remove the oil filler cap.

Step 5: Remove the drain plug and crush washer.

Step 6: Clean the drain plug.

Step 7: Replace drain plug with new crush washer and clean the remaining oil.

Step 8: Hand tighten then a 1/4 turn with a ratchet, do not over-tighten.

Step 9 Place the oil filter wrench on the filter

Step 10: Attach an extension and remove the filter with a ratchet.

Step 11: Then use your hand and quickly remove the filter to try to avoid inevitable oil spills.

Step 12: Place the filter on the drain pan to allow the fluid to drain.

Step 13: Clean the oil filter ring and make sure no gasket is remaining.

Step 14: Clean areas that oil spilled on.

Step 15: Lubricate the gasket and thread of the new oil filter.

Step 16: Attach new filter and be careful not to cross thread.

Step 17: Hand tighten the new filter.

Step 18: Clean Dipstick and re-insert.

Step 19: Add 5qts of motor oil.

Step 20: Replace the oil filler plug.

Step 21: Start the engine and check for leaks.

Step 22: Lower the car carefully, test drive and check for leaks.

Step 23: DONE!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
very nice DIY, that purple plug makes me think it needs some Royal Purple in there, lol

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can we add this to the "Multiple DIYs" sticky thread?
I think a moderater has to do that.

very nice DIY, that purple plug makes me think it needs some Royal Purple in there, lol
:lol:, thanks. It runs much better on syn blend, but there has been a drop of oil every time the car sits for some time. I haven't checked today, hopefully it is just residual oil.

·
Registered
145 Posts
whoever designed the filter location on these engines should be shot lol. mine "leaked" for 3days after doing an oil change next time ill take er streight to the car wash after change lol

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^Agreed, the leaking stopped. I just put a shit load of newspapers under the filter and around the exhaust to catch the spilling oil. The faster you spin off the filter the less oil that spills.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Wow, that is a clean engine bay!!! I use pure synthetic vs. a blend and always quality filters like Wix or Mobil 1. Gloves are a good idea...not just to aid cleanup, but because motor oil is carcinogenic.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks, it to some work to get it clean. All the oil gunk on the block was hard to get off. I used a combination of Lysol All Purpose Cleaner, Simple Green and a Pressure Washer. The hard work paid off.:thumbsup:

This was before I cleaned it, disgusting.:facepalm:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow, that is a clean engine bay!!! I use pure synthetic vs. a blend and always quality filters like Wix or Mobil 1. Gloves are a good idea...not just to aid cleanup, but because motor oil is carcinogenic.
i have the synthetic nitrile gloves... they give extra grip i got em from rite aid 50 in a box $9

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
If you have access to it, Brake kleen does a WONDERFUL job of cleaning up the residual oil on this type of engine. And it dries up in seconds, no mess, no fuss!

Reactions: pmesfun

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just 2 items to add to it.

1) Wipe and clean the oil and debris off from around the drain hole with a rag BEFORE you install the new crush washer and drain plug. You will get a much better seal.
2) Use new gloves or make sure your hands are wiped down, clean of old oil and debris BEFORE you lubricate the new seal on the filter.

Otherwise good write up. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have access to it, Brake kleen does a WONDERFUL job of cleaning up the residual oil on this type of engine. And it dries up in seconds, no mess, no fuss!
Yeah it does, I'll add it to the DIY.

Just 2 items to add to it.

1) Wipe and clean the oil and debris off from around the drain hole with a rag BEFORE you install the new crush washer and drain plug. You will get a much better seal.
2) Use new gloves or make sure your hands are wiped down, clean of old oil and debris BEFORE you lubricate the new seal on the filter.

Otherwise good write up. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the info.
I'll add it to the DIY.;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts