Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who do your own oil and filter change on a 2005-2009 Taco 4 banger...

What is the part number of the Toyota OEM filter for our trucks? My dealer service sheet shows 90915-YZZG1... but Frank Toyota sells these in bulk on Ebay as part number 90915-YZZD1.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=2&item=140265722795&category=33661&viewitem=

Anyone know if there is any difference? I want to start doing my own changes and want to make sure I get the right part as I plan on buying them in bulk to save $$.

Would I need any additional items, such as crush washers, etc.? Any other advice is also appreciated as it has been some time since I changed my own oil.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out. I'm just tired of paying $35 for a dino oil change at the dealer. :headbang:

·
Registered
82 Posts
On my I4 I use Purolator filters and 6 qts of Castrol 5w20 Syntec oil.

Change the oil/filter every 3,800 to 4,000. Cost ~$34.

The only problem I had when I began to DIY is getting the filter off. The dealer must have really torqued it down. I had to get one of those filter removal tools and it was hard to get leverage on it due to the shroud around the filter, but I finally got it broke loose and got it off.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can anyone tell me the correct filter part #?

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Toyota does have several different part numbers for their filters because the part number changes based on where the filter was made and by the company that made it. For any given size, there are several part numbers.

Based on what I've read elsewhere, the G1 and D1 are both compatible in terms of fit. They both cross-reference to the same Wix filter. The D1 is made by Denso in Thailand, and it's a nice filter. The G1 is made in U.S.A., but not sure who made it.

·
Completely Numb
TRD Sport
824 Posts
I was browsing around on TRDparts4u.com, and they only list one type of filter for the tacomas running from 95-07 4 bangers. If I were you, I would go to the dealer, and see which one they give you. I think the part number was D1...see here.

http://trdparts4u.com/PD-90915-YZZD1-CASE10.aspx?MakeID=1

·
Registered
2 Posts
Use A Cup

A Tip For Neater Changes. Grab Old Filter And Barely Turn Filter. Take A 16 Oz Sour Cream Container And Slide Over Filter. It Just Happens To Be Slightly Larger In Diameter And Taller Than The Filter . Squeeze The Cup( Filter )and Spin The Filter Off. The Excess Oil Will Run Into The Cup Instead Of All Over You, Your Hand And The Floor. If This Is The First Oil Change , Plan On The Wrench That Fits On The End Of A 3/8" Ratchet Driver. When You Rotate The Wrench Counter Clockwise It Bites The Filter. I Think I Had To Use An Impact Wrench The First Time It Was So Tight. Good Luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts