Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'97 CE 256k miles

for 2 years i've known rack is leaking. estimates for p&l are $800+. CV have been clicking that long as well, and recently sounding really bad, along with some grindy/squeeky sounds pretty much nonstop when accelerating or turning. estimates for p&l (both axles) are $460 - $630 (upper end guy told me it was labor intensive on this model). mounts have also been bad for years, and doesn't really bother me, but might try it if i do the other stuff. estimate on that is $429 (right front and rear).

my experience is only with simple stuff like brakes, egr valve, sensors, etc. this seems like a daunting task but maybe we can do it? sure would like to save these hundreds of dollars, and could get a little help. but i get nervous dealing with such integral parts.

·
You asked for it...
407 Posts
You should be able to do the work, or most of it anyhow, but be prepared to grunt and sweat a bit. Take your time, have a repair manual handy, and keep your computer on this site, ready to look up stuff or ask for help.

You might have to buy some tools that you may not have in your toolbox, but nothing special. Make sure you can do without the car for few days in case you have problems.

I would replace the axles first. The mounts are pretty easy except for the one in the rear. While you're back there doing that one, it would be a good time to replace the rack.

Good luck to you.

·
TIEyota fighter ace
AE101, TE72
1,942 Posts
Check RockAuto for parts (maybe $100 for all four mounts), get a Chilton or Haynes guide, and go for it. The rear mount does require you to drop the subframe a bit but with a decent set of ramps (or really tall jackstands) it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

The one caution I'd have for you is with the CV axles. They're pretty damn sensitive to minor angle changes (bad motor mounts is the #1 cause of killing them prematurely, it seems) and unless you've got a great deal of confidence in your work, those may not be the best things to start experimenting with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts