Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Toyota Lifer!!!!
2014 Corolla S Plus
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone
was wondering if anyone has hard wired a radar detector into their 11th gen Corolla and if you have advice on the install. I'm having trouble with the fuse box and using one of the open fuse slots. Input welcomed!

· Premium Member
2014 Corolla Sport
3,253 Posts
Hey everyone
was wondering if anyone has hard wired a radar detector into their 11th gen Corolla and if you have advice on the install. I'm having trouble with the fuse box and using one of the open fuse slots. Input welcomed!
Do you have an add-a-circuit? If so, use that, and then run the power wire from the radar detector to the thick red wire from the add-a-circuit.

· Premium Member
2014 Corolla Sport
3,253 Posts
Where would I find the add on circuit? I'm not sure where to be looking...
You can use an add-a-circuit so that you don't have to splice into the factory wiring. You will basically turn 1 fuse slot into 2 without splicing. You can get them at many auto parts stores but they will be more expensive. You can get like 5 of them from amazon for like $8 while a auto store would probably sell one for like $12 or $15.

· Toyota Lifer!!!!
2014 Corolla S Plus
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can use an add-a-circuit so that you don't have to splice into the factory wiring. You will basically turn 1 fuse slot into 2 without splicing. You can get them at many auto parts stores but they will be more expensive. You can get like 5 of them from amazon for like $8 while a auto store would probably sell one for like $12 or $15.
I checked out the ones on Amazon and saw they have the space for fuze, and I saw the connector wire coming off the add a circuit. Would I need to tap into that wire or can I just use the open fuse spot on the adapter? It seems I would have to tap into the ACC fuse spot since all the other open fuse spots are always on.

· Premium Member
2014 Corolla Sport
3,253 Posts
I checked out the ones on Amazon and saw they have the space for fuze, and I saw the connector wire coming off the add a circuit. Would I need to tap into that wire or can I just use the open fuse spot on the adapter? It seems I would have to tap into the ACC fuse spot since all the other open fuse spots are always on.
I am not sure if the ACC is on all the time or if it is on momentarily once you turn the key. The red wire from the add a circuit is the power wire you connect the accessory power wire to. Just crimp.

· Registered
111 Posts
Let me know how it goes, I've been thinking of hardwiring my dashcam, but it's crazy hard to work down there on that fuse box. Unless there's something I'm missing and there's another fusebox that's not behnd the knee airbag area?

· Toyota Lifer!!!!
2014 Corolla S Plus
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I'm doing a lot of trial and error because I want the radar to have its own dedicated circuit without sharing one. I had it like that on 05 scion xa and it was awesome because it was on its own circuit and only turned on when I turned the car or ACC on...

· Premium Member
2014 Corolla Sport
3,253 Posts
Yeah I'm doing a lot of trial and error because I want the radar to have its own dedicated circuit without sharing one. I had it like that on 05 scion xa and it was awesome because it was on its own circuit and only turned on when I turned the car or ACC on...
Another option would be to run the power directly from the battery to a switch to the radar.

· Toyota Lifer!!!!
2014 Corolla S Plus
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So after discussing the hard wiring deal for the radar detector, I'm going to be doing the add a circuit deal to the car. Basically like already mentioned piggy backing off the ACC circuit so that it only turns on when I turn the key on. I'll post some pics of it when its' done and we'll go from there. It's seems the easiest route to go without too much of a hassle!!!

· Toyota Lifer!!!!
2014 Corolla S Plus
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Installed the radar detector today using the add a circuit. It was a walk in the park and only took about 20 mins. The toughest part was finding a good ground. Now the radar turns on when I turn the car on.

· 2002 Ford Focus SE
6,045 Posts
For anyone else considering this ...

Not all radar detectors are 12V, some have a transformer in the cigarette lighter plug. On these, if you just cut the plug and splice to the add-a-circuit, you will fry the detector.

Best solution is to wire in an additional cig lighter socket behind the dash - this also allows you to use the detector in another car if needed and doesn't void the detector warranty.

· Toyota Lifer!!!!
2014 Corolla S Plus
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found the ground on a bolt near the fire wall and it worked. I have a buddy of mine that grounded his to the radio behind the dash. It was completely hidden and out of site. Looks good on his set up too. I'll probably try and find another ground somewhere more out of site. On my xA it was a little easier since there was already an open circuit available and the ground was right under the steering column. The ground bold I found under this steering column wasn't suitable for a good ground exactly why I moved it to the firewall.

· Toyota Appliance Driver
159 Posts
which detector do you have and which fuse did you use? any pictures of how/where you wired everything will be helpful to others in the future.

· Toyota Lifer!!!!
2014 Corolla S Plus
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
which detector do you have and which fuse did you use? any pictures of how/where you wired everything will be helpful to others in the future.
I have a mid grad cobra and I used an add a circuit into the ACC 7.5 amp fuse. The max rating on the add a circuit was 10 amp. I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how to post them from my phone! LOL

· Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone
If you have over hear lights above your mirror, You can fish the wires up to the headliner and then to the light. You will have to use a 12v tester to find a hot wire, I used small aligator clips and the other to ground on the metal frame of the light. This was done on my 2019 highlander. Easy short and sweet 20 minute install.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.