Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· Registered
2007 Camry LE
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I finally got around to doing a write up for this.
UPDATE: VIDEO ON PAGE 2

Here is what you will need.

1 set of 7443 sockets ( I got mine from autolumination.com/connectors.htm )
1 set of 7443 switchback LED bulbs
1 set of resistors or the LED blinker module

This is what the socket looks like up close (Notice how one tab is wider than the other.).

This is a top view of the socket and the square edges need to be rounded off.

The two wider tabs need to be removed with a dremel or whatever tool of your liking.

This is a top view with the edges rounded off.

Side view with the bigger tabs removed

The small plastic pieces need to be removed to.

Tap into the positive wire from the BLINKER and connect it to the RED wire on the new socket
Tap into the negative wire from the BLINKER and connect it to the GREEN wire on the new socket
Tap into the RED wire on the REVERSE LIGHT and connect it to the BLACK wire on the new socket

I dont have a video of the finished product but here is a video of when I was doing trials.
Sorry for the poor quality but I recorded it with my cell.

ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO ASK :thumbsup:

· Registered
Camry
10,019 Posts
Why did you get a module with all the emitters aimed to the side? LED light output is highly directional and you are losing most of the output.

The other thing is that looks too small to have proper cooling, but then again for reverse and turn signal you are probably ok. For front marker and signal, that is not a good design since the LEDs will be on constantly. On that note, I'm not sure how much current those LEDs are driven at so I could be wrong. I've only played with some high power LEDs, eg 400-2000mA some of those will output 100 to 500 lumens with that much current.

· Registered
2007 Camry LE
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why did you get a module with all the emitters aimed to the side? LED light output is highly directional and you are losing most of the output.
They only make the bulbs that way you cant get them with all the LEDs aiming forward.

· Registered
414 Posts
Ok so I finally got around to doing a write up for this.
Here is what you will need.

1 set of 7443 sockets ( I got mine from autolumination.com/connectors.htm )
1 set of 7443 switchback LED bulbs
1 set of resistors or the LED blinker module

This is what the socket looks like up close (Notice how one tab is wider than the other.).

This is a top view of the socket and the square edges need to be rounded off.

The two wider tabs need to be removed with a dremel or whatever tool of your liking.

This is a top view with the edges rounded off.

Side view with the bigger tabs removed

The small plastic pieces need to be removed to.

Tap into the positive wire from the BLINKER and connect it to the RED wire on the new socket
Tap into the negative wire from the BLINKER and connect it to the GREEN wire on the new socket
Tap into the RED wire on the REVERSE LIGHT and connect it to the BLACK wire on the new socket

I dont have a video of the finished product but here is a video of when I was doing trials.
Sorry for the poor quality but I recorded it with my cell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvTwB0aYW84

ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO ASK :thumbsup:
Nice write up. You should post a vid of the final product when you get a chance. After seeing you talk about doing this before made me think about doing it too. Now that you have everything setup I might have to do this to both of my vehicles.

The other thing is that looks too small to have proper cooling, but then again for reverse and turn signal you are probably ok. For front marker and signal, that is not a good design since the LEDs will be on constantly. On that note, I'm not sure how much current those LEDs are driven at so I could be wrong. I've only played with some high power LEDs, eg 400-2000mA some of those will output 100 to 500 lumens with that much current.
From my experience with theses types of LED's is that they don't get that hot so cooling isn't an issue. These aren't the really high powered LED's that are used to project at objects like the ones used for headlights, house lights, and commercial buildings. They're just accent lights that look bright like the LED lights for Christmas trees.

Reactions: Bills07CamLE

· Registered
2007 Camry LE
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Registered
2009 Camry SE
232 Posts
I'm looking for a very bright LED for my reverse lights without having to resort to HID's, i've tried 2 already (one with 25 and the other with 32 leds), not bright enough, if anyone found something really bright, please kindly show us where you got them from.

· Registered
Camry
10,019 Posts
I'm looking for a very bright LED for my reverse lights without having to resort to HID's, i've tried 2 already (one with 25 and the other with 32 leds), not bright enough, if anyone found something really bright, please kindly show us where you got them from.
Custom build a LED light. The light I use for my bike uses a single Cree XM-L LED and outputs around 500 Lumens when driven at 1.4A with a 3.7V battery, about 5W. It can even be driven at 2.8A, about 10.4W, to output about 800 Lumens. Both obviously require proper cooling. I opted for the lower power one to increase run time since my battery holds only 2.9AH.

A typical 9006 halogen headlamp, typically, outputs 1000 or so lumens per bulb for comparison.

· Registered
2007 Camry LE
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

· Registered
2007 Camry LE
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The problem with our lights is that are pointed down and at an angle to the sides. Not straight back so it will always be hard to see no matter what. Im working on turning the break lights to be blinkers and break lights and the blinkers as reverse lights along with the OEM reverse lights. Its not hard to do but I just havent had time to play around with it yet.

· must.resist.modding
'09 Camry SE V6
5,251 Posts
What people fail to know is that more does not mean brighter. Just because there is 32 LEDs, doesn't mean it's going to be bright. There are LEDs out there that can have 1 LED or up to 7 LEDs and it will be a lot brother than a 32 or 64 LED.

· Registered
Camry
10,019 Posts
What people fail to know is that more does not mean brighter. Just because there is 32 LEDs, doesn't mean it's going to be bright. There are LEDs out there that can have 1 LED or up to 7 LEDs and it will be a lot brother than a 32 or 64 LED.
That plus LEDs are highly directional. The drop in bulbs aren't good because they aren't aimed right and don't have the optics to make them work. Look at any light designed for LED and the LEDs are aimed so that the axis is pointed at least in the correct direction.

Also many people don't realize high power LEDs require heatsinking because they are used to seeing the low power indicator types that produce very little heat. My LED flashlight gets noticeably warm near the head due to a single LED.

· Registered
2009 Camry SE
232 Posts
See, thats the real reason why i'm here, to learn these things, talk about B-sh!tting when you go to someone's shop to have this done around my area. Thats why i need to do these myself, someone showed me one at V-Leds, i'll try that one next.

· Registered
2007 Camry LE
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
See, thats the real reason why i'm here, to learn these things, talk about B-sh!tting when you go to someone's shop to have this done around my area. Thats why i need to do these myself, someone showed me one at V-Leds, i'll try that one next.
In my honest opinion V-LEDs is a bit over priced. If you are justlooking for a reverse light just get your self a bulb with a front facing Cree led.

· Registered
414 Posts
Just buy a 194 cree led lights. These are the ones I got but haven't received them yet.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220829056259?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
I have those in my Camry. Definitely brighter than any other LED that I've installed in a car. I'd say they project a good 10-15ft, but you'll only notice them in pitch darkness. If you're backing up somewhere where there is descent lighting then you won't really see them projecting from the drivers seat. Oh and yes they do get pretty warm. It's a good thing that you don't leave them on long.

· Registered
2007 Camry LE
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When you do, post pics please. Making me want to get these. I'll wait for pics or if someone has them already, please post.
I will man Ive been waiting to see if anyone else would b4 getting them and nobody has so I just ordered them when they had them on sale.

BTW I think I figured out how to make that harness to turn ur LED break lights to you blinkers Without having to drop 75 bucks on it! Those other guys are a total rip off! I just need to make the time to try it out and do a write up but once I do you will be the 1st to know! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.