Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got around to changing the serpentine or "accessory" belt on my 2010 Corolla S with the 2ZR-FE 1.8L I4 engine a bit early at 50,000 miles.

I took pictures of the process and made a DIY tutorial to help out other 10th generation owners.

Here's the page hosted on my travel blog - http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/2009-2013-Toyota-Corolla-Serpentine-Accessory-Belt-Replacement-Guide/index.html

I hope you guys find it to be useful. It seems like there wasn't a really clear guide online for this procedure on the 2ZR-FE engine.

·
2002 Ford Focus SE
5,928 Posts
Great info - needs to be added to the DIY Sticky thread.

·
Registered
2010 Corolla S
15 Posts
I am a little confused as to what belt to install, I ordered a Good Year Gatorback 4060480 from Amazon. The belt came and it was branded a Continental- no big issue there, a little weird but whatever. It appears in the link that the 0480 belt is for Japanese manufactured 1.8 L engines, I have a Canadian model vin starts with 2.

I went on the continental website and their parts list shows the belt with AC as the 480 model.. has anyone installed a Continental Poly V 4060480 on a north american 1.8 L engine?

Your input is greatly appreciated

Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got around to changing the serpentine or "accessory" belt on my 2010 Corolla S with the 2ZR-FE 1.8L I4 engine a bit early at 50,000 miles.

I took pictures of the process and made a DIY tutorial to help out other 10th generation owners.

Here's the page hosted on my travel blog - Toyota Corolla Serpentine Accessory Belt Replacement Guide - 2009 To 2013 Model Years - 2ZR-FE 1.8L I4 Engine - Picture Illustrated Automotive Maintenance DIY Instructions

I hope you guys find it to be useful. It seems like there wasn't a really clear guide online for this procedure on the 2ZR-FE engine.

Paul - Do you have torque settings for your serpentine lock and pivot bolt? I saw a 2009 was set at 14/32 ft-lbs for the lock and pivot bolt respectively. Also, can you recommend a shop manual either online or in print that I could get my hands on?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,877 Posts
I replaced my serpentine belt last year on my 2009 Corolla S. It was very simple and straight forward and I didn't run into any issues. I don't remember the torque settings though.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Here's the page hosted on my travel blog - Toyota Corolla Serpentine Accessory Belt Replacement Guide - 2009 To 2013 Model Years - 2ZR-FE 1.8L I4 Engine - Picture Illustrated Automotive Maintenance DIY Instructions

I am getting the screech/grinding noise on cold starts these days in South Florida.. Also noticed this issue during our mild winter in Jan/Feb. After the screeching sound I get a quick squealing sound and engine starts with no noises after that. I am not driving the car much during the week due to the COVID crisis and working from home. I had the serpentine belt replaced almost two years back with a Dayco 485 for my USA made '10 Corolla LE. Is it the VVTi system or the belt needs to be tightened a little more? It's kind of a tossup on what the problem might be?

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,517 Posts
You can inspect the pulley for the alternator and water pump for signs of premature failure. Then pump the belt tensioner 3x. This should reset the tensioner. I just don't remember if it's reset without the belt installed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am getting the screech/grinding noise on cold starts these days in South Florida.. Also noticed this issue during our mild winter in Jan/Feb. After the screeching sound I get a quick squealing sound and engine starts with no noises after that. I am not driving the car much during the week due to the COVID crisis and working from home. I had the serpentine belt replaced almost two years back with a Dayco 485 for my USA made '10 Corolla LE. Is it the VVTi system or the belt needs to be tightened a little more? It's kind of a tossup on what the problem might be?
Your belt is loose or worn out. Tighten it first to see if it improves before replacement. Defective Vvti does not give screeching noise but slight vibration

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had the task of replacing the belt on a 2012 LE a couple of weeks ago when I replaced the alternator. That bracket with the long bolt is an unusual setup. I'm used to V8s on Fords and GMs. Much easier to replace alternator on them, but the belt is usually 3-4 times longer than the Corolla's and many more pulleys to negotiate.

Nice tutorial, BTW.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Your belt is loose or worn out. Tighten it first to see if it improves before replacement. Defective Vvti does not give screeching noise but slight vibration
The belt is about 2 years old and has about 18k miles on it. Just had the tension adjusted yesterday. I started the car at about 12:15pm on a rainy day in south Florida and the screech noise came back on the cold start. I suspect this could also be the VVTi issue or some sort of starter issue. Some people mention the starter as the culprit as it does not engage fast enough. It's been reported on the internet. Someone has a you tube video on it. I just don't want to spend like $130 and replace the belt with a new one and then running into the same issue.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This seems to help with the cold startup noise on the 2010 Toyota corolla Le.. Seems to be a known issue in many Toyotas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts