Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a link to an in depth tutorial on how to paint your car yourself? I was thinking of either bringing it to maaco for the $250 paint job but heard about the bad job they do, so i started thinking about doing it myself. If i do it myself will it cost more then $250? Also i would like to know what type of paint to use and what tools i will need to do this project, like an airbrush etc. Hopefully you guys can help me out with this. thanks

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
hm.. my friend spray painted his car black. decent job. you can tell he sprayed it. there are runs. total cost for him... just about 70$ he double coated parts.

·
TN's furry friend
1995 Toyota Camry LE
4,472 Posts
bowlofturtle said:
hm.. my friend spray painted his car black. decent job. you can tell he sprayed it. there are runs. total cost for him... just about 70$ he double coated parts.
wow, i give your friend props for having the guts to attempt that :thumbup:

-If your gonna try it, i guess basic tools would be:

1. Sandpaper (Coarse and Fine grits)
2. Paint stripper
3. Primer
4. Spray paint
5. Clear Coat
6. Masking tape/Newspapers etc.
7. ALot of time and luck

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
WhiteR said:
wow, i give your friend props for having the guts to attempt that :thumbup:

well he was in need of one anyways. everything was fading and other junk. In a way after the paint job its about the same as before but just some things are nice and smoother. but he has a lot of runs on the fenders

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
I was in a little accident a lil while ago. Im gonna take an assload of pics doing the body work. Im gonna take those pics and try to get a lil DIY.

·
nice guy
191 Posts
first of all, you have to sand your body down. Then, i would put a light coat of bondo on to fill in pinholes. Then, sand it down with like 400 grit sandpaper. Then put on a coat of primer. Then sand the primer lightly with 800 grit sand paper. I would take all of the removeable parts off to paint them. (bumpers, doors, hood, fenders, trunk/hatch). Then you have to paint them with your paint. Make sure that you get an even coat on all the parts of the car. If you don't get too close and spray one spot too much you won't have runs. But it is very easy to fuk up. You can get paint and clearcoat from car quest or maybe other places.

If you take all the parts off then paint them, you can mask off the whole front end. Therefore your job will be easier.

Tools:
Air compressor $300
Paint gun $100
Paint $100
Clearcoat $50
time, luck, and patience= priceless

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
You should start sanding with 400, then 600, then finish with 800.

·
Registered
14 Posts
To do it right with spray cans would cost a bundle. You can buy a spray gun for $20-30 at places like Harbor Freight, Cummins, etc. Borrow or rent a compressor regulated around 60 PSI. Spray it with an initial tack coat first. Make sure the gun in your hand is moving before you squeeze the trigger and release before you stop, or you will have a run. Don't worry about getting smooth coverage as this coat will just set up and become tacky to keep the finish coat from running. After going around the car with the tack coat and it has become tacky, follow up with a second coat and this time go for good coverage. Good light is important. You can use a trouble light to reflect off the paint to see if you have complete coverage. Check as you go and hit any spots with light coverage again until it looks almost glassy. The last bit will flow into the other paint and look smooth. Inexpensive tools are available to check for proper thinning. Or you can do trial and error on a piece of cardboard to get the gun pattern right and the right amount of paint. Don't get too close with the gun until you get the feel of it. When done and the paint has cured out, any rough areas can be wet sanded with 1500 or 2000 grit wet or dry paper - assuming you have a thick enough coating of paint.. Then buff it back with polishing compound.

I just restored a John Deere 111 with spray cans using this method and it looks like it could be judged in a show. Lotsa work to do it right though. Still wanna try it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
last summer I got my HVLP setup going, built a paint booth with a simple ventilation system (i also had a fancy resperator, dont worry), bought a 30gal 6hp compressor and a nicer grav feed HVLP gun. Just for practice i striped the hood of my wifes old car (89 shadow ES turbo) and re-primed and painted it. I used dupont centari (Single stage paint) with a acrilic enamel hardener.

Took awhile to get good with the gun but it turned out well.. The following pictures are of the hood before it has been buffed (i havent done that yet) and its also a little dirty, but still looks fine. I would call it a 5-foot job, in other words you cant tell its non-pro from 5 feet.

After I buff this it will look perfect.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just restored a John Deere 111 using the method I described above. The result is almost show quality. BTW, this was done with spray cans.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
^If you treat spray cans like a real spray gun, you will get pretty good results. It just wont last as long. Maybe 2-3 years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
^ You're right, if, the paint is too thin. However, you can build it up as much as you like. You wouldn't beleive how much I sanded this down before I buffed it back out, and there is still plenty of paint thickness left. Don't sand if the paint is too thin.

·
Shit Disturber
249 Posts
what if you lay down many layers of etch primer with the can? is that still as good as the gun?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, the gun is the best choice. If I'm using the spray cans, I use the Bondo filler in a tube sold everywhere for <$1.50. Very easy to sand. I undstand that there is now a primer for guns with like polyester fiber in it that is good for filling imperfections.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the reply's guys, but after reading everything you guys had to say, do you think im better off going to maaco and getting the camry painted for the $250 special? How long will the paint last if i paint it from maaco? And if i do get it painted at maaco what things should i do to the paint after i get it back? Like should i wet sand to ensure it lasts longer and what not? ALso what shoul i do to prep the car before bringing it to maaco? I plan on painting my bumpers, which are currently not painted, so what should i do to prep those? What about the existing paint? What should i sand that down with? thanks guys

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the reply's guys, but after reading everything you guys had to say, do you think im better off going to maaco and getting the camry painted for the $250 special? How long will the paint last if i paint it from maaco? And if i do get it painted at maaco what things should i do to the paint after i get it back? Like should i wet sand to ensure it lasts longer and what not? ALso what shoul i do to prep the car before bringing it to maaco? I plan on painting my bumpers, which are currently not painted, so what should i do to prep those? What about the existing paint? What should i sand that down with? thanks guys

1 - 20 of 21 Posts