Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
So it's been a few weeks since I cranked it up: too many other things getting in the way. Today I cut a few more pieces and did another run at some fillet welds.

For sure practice is needed. Lots and lots of practice. MAX - 1 setting, wire speed about 5. I set up a little LED light to try to help see the seam better, and it did help some but I still need some better light in there. It is hard to see the seam. This is pretty raised up, so lots of material on top but it does look like I got some penetration. Same metal stock. I need to setup a bunch of these and spend an hour just getting my posture and movement dialed in, the speed of drag, all that. And better lighting. I am tired of using my angle grinder to cut stock so going to look for a metal wheel for my 12" Dewalt chop saw, and start looking to buy a metal saw. I tried to cut some tube stock off some trash table legs and it was abysmal. The cutoff wheel was too eaten up so did not go all the way through, and I wound up with uneven and jagged edges. Sigh.

·
Super Moderator
12,602 Posts
You’re getting better. Looks like you need to move in more of a zigzag or overlapping circular pattern, and perhaps move down the bead path a bit slower. I like to alternate having the wire hitting one plate, then the other in a zigzag pattern. Make sense?

Are you pulling or pushing the puddle?

·
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
You’re getting better. Looks like you need to move in more of a zigzag or overlapping circular pattern, and perhaps move down the bead path a bit slower. I like to alternate having the wire hitting one plate, then the other in a zigzag pattern. Make sense?

Are you pulling or pushing the puddle?
Thanks, and yeah I am working to make the C motions or zig zags. I am dragging the slag, so moving left to right with the wire on the left and the tip laying towards my right (power line to to my right). Next time I will do the small circle kind of thing to get more of that stack of dimes look. But I can see I went South of the seam there - again just can't see it real well.

·
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Aw Jeeze, no wonder. I DL'ed a light meter for my iPhone. Not sure how accurate it is, but I get about 147 lux in the garage. Max was about 180, after several readings it was saying around 125 average. Time to pull those two fluorescent housings I put in years ago and put in some bright LED panels.

·
Super Moderator
12,602 Posts
Ah, so you’re “pulling” the puddle. That tends to make the bead taller. If you push it, the bead tends to be flatter. But your zigzag motion and speed has a large effect on that too. There’s really no right or wrong, pushing/pulling. You need to find what works for you. Which means experimenting like you’re doing. Have fun!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Ah, so you’re “pulling” the puddle. That tends to make the bead taller. If you push it, the bead tends to be flatter. But your zigzag motion and speed has a large effect on that too. There’s really no right or wrong, pushing/pulling. You need to find what works for you. Which means experimenting like you’re doing. Have fun!
Sometimes I just hit straight on, and by moving right or left it flows in that direction. I say that, because sometimes you can't always go in the same direction due to something being in the way (try welding under a car that's on jack stands for example). Sometimes I'll start welding right to left, then switch to left to right depending on which direction the sparks are flying. ;) I also have a tendency to move around, as I'm trying to keep the localized heat down in some spots.

·
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Just wanted to bump this thread to see if you've had any more opportunity to work with that new welder. :)

Not yet. Most weekends are full with either family parties, out of town trips, or other house work. I was eyeballing my trailer yesterday as I had to go to the dump and was thinking I need to start welding soon. This coming weekend is shot, but maybe next weekend I can play with the welder some more.

·
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
For those that saw/read the home improvement thread post, we are planning to build our own travel trailer. Since the wife is insisting on steel framing, I said the only way was to allow me to buy a "real" weld rig (my startup one has a 10% duty cycle and is only FCAW). She agreed, so ohhhh yeah. I am thinking of buying this setup:

60% duty cycle, and seems like a solid setup. Anyone have suggestions in the $700 range?

·
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
A non-welding question is posed: Does your wife have any unmarried sisters?

:lol:

LOL, she does actually. But, I think those thought processes do not run that direction for the one older unmarried sister. Let's just say different financial pathways :eek:

·
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
My wife's patience with my toys, I mean tools, rarely exceeds half a "large" (a large is $1,000 for you non PIMP MOFOs out there!!!) So if I come to her with tools exceeding $500 she gets cranky. In this case she knows there is no way to get what she wants unless I get what I want. Woo hoo! One day I may get into the multi-large wled rigs, but not today. Not today.

·
Registered
808 Posts
For those that saw/read the home improvement thread post, we are planning to build our own travel trailer. Since the wife is insisting on steel framing, I said the only way was to allow me to buy a "real" weld rig (my startup one has a 10% duty cycle and is only FCAW). She agreed, so ohhhh yeah. I am thinking of buying this setup:

PrimeWeld TIG225X 225 Amp IGBT AC DC Tig/Stick Welder with Pulse CK17 Flex Torch and Cable 3 Year Warranty

60% duty cycle, and seems like a solid setup. Anyone have suggestions in the $700 range?
Unless you want a really large learning curve, I'd probably get a 220V Hobart from Tractor Supply. Since you're going with steel wall beams, a nice mig welder will be helpful here.
I only say that, unless you're going to do a bunch of stick welding. I have a Miller stick/TIG machine, and I hardly use it. But my 110 MIG sees more use, because I seem to do more steel welding. It's perfect for fabrication work. TIG welding is a lot like gas welding, in that it requires 2 hands, and no breeze. You also have to clamp it securely in position to tack it. With a MIG welder, you set it up against a jig, hold the piece in position, and just zap it, then move onto the next upright or piece.

Of course, there's nothing that doesn't say you can't get a MIG unit to go with that welder (using it as a power supply). At 1 shop I worked at, we had several of them set up like that (the Miller welder unit below was the power supply, and the MIG unit sat on top of it). We also had a couple of dedicated MIG welders there too (that's all they were for).

·
Registered
808 Posts
Looks like a 220V machine. Nice. Keep in mind you'll want an extension cord of some sort, even if it's 8 or 10 gauge romex. That's what I run my TIG machine on, since it draws 150 amps (supply side). Something like that could also be converted to a tig machine, or even a stick welder.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
12 Participants
SFCamry
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing