1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DNA Motoring Muffler vs Megan Racing OE-RS

Hi all,

I will be having a Megan Racing OE-RS exhaust come in soon for my 08 Camry with the 2AZ-FE. I currently have a DNA Motoring muffler installed. I plan on making a video of how they sound for people who want to hear how they sound like before buying them because I know how hard it is to find a video. I will also get some video on how my K&N cold air intake sounds like too as a bonus.

If anyone has a request on the "script" for the sound that I will follow, let me know as soon as possible as I will only make one video.

If anyone is interested, I might be selling my DNA Motoring Muffler starting at $75 with shipping (because I do not know how much it will be it will be included) after I install my Megan Racing exhaust.

All videos will be recorded with a Samsung Galaxy S7 Active
Sound Script at Normal Operating Temperature
  • Engine start
  • Idle RPM
  • Low RPM
  • High RPM
  • Mid RPM
  • Mid RPM
  • Redline RPM
  • Redline RPM
  • Low RPM
  • Mid RPM
  • Idle RPM
  • Engine stop
DNA Motoring
This muffler is a simple bolt-on design except the original muffler tip is more of a oval and it does not sit straight and the tip actually hits the bumper. I cut off the tip and had my uncle weld a muffler tip to it instead so that it would look better.
https://www.amazon.com/DNA-Motoring-CBE-MU-TCA07-Catback-Exhaust/dp/B01N7B0BOS

Megan Racing
This exhaust is a "simple" bolt-on assuming you do not live in the rust belt. This is bolted after the secondary catalytic converter flange all the way to the muffler. Sweet and "simple".
https://meganracing.com/mr-cbs-tca07l4.html

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the new exhaust in. It has a nice deep sound to it compared to the ricey sound of just the muffler. Maybe video and pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've waited about seven years to listen to the Megan Racing OE-RS Exhaust but only two people did it. One person had his at idle and the other was actually a V6... apparently. CAUTION Video is louder than expected most likely because I am maybe an inch or two closer than in the DNA Motoring video. Otherwise, while it is louder in the video the Megan Racing has a nicer humming sound compared to the DNA Motoring weed wacker. The humming is more... sophisticated for the type of car the Camry is while the weed wacker is... for a ricey Honda Civic. Enjoy!

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, any way to rename the thread to just: DNA Motoring Muffler vs Megan Racing OE-RS

If anyone want to hear what the silencer sounds like, I might be willing to make a video with it. Let me know here.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,649 Posts
I've waited about seven years to listen to the Megan Racing OE-RS Exhaust but only two people did it. One person had his at idle and the other was actually a V6... apparently. CAUTION Video is louder than expected most likely because I am maybe an inch or two closer than in the DNA Motoring video. Otherwise, while it is louder in the video the Megan Racing has a nicer humming sound compared to the DNA Motoring weed wacker. The humming is more... sophisticated for the type of car the Camry is while the weed wacker is... for a ricey Honda Civic. Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nq-151uSZ0

I like this sound better than the DNA. Is the silencer already on it, and you would remove it? Or is there another part to bolt on that is the silencer?

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like this sound better than the DNA. Is the silencer already on it, and you would remove it? Or is there another part to bolt on that is the silencer?
Both are bolt-on, only difference is $80 vs $400 (eBay prices). Otherwise this is without the silencer, I find that without the silencer it is relatively "quiet" so there is no real need for it. Otherwise where you see those two bolts, that is how the silencer is held in the muffler. I would think three bolts would hold it better but most of the silencers I've seen on Amazon and eBay only have on bolt hole so...

I think with the 2AZ (maybe 2AR too) in the Camry (not the TC), as long as it has the resonator the Camry will stay "behaved" until you make it not behave. I've heard some loud TC's and... it's pretty bad...

It is hard to say how it really sounds because the video is just the video. At the very least, this shows the difference between DNA Motoring (and other copies) and the Megan Racing.

If you do plan on buying anything off of eBay, I recommend waiting for the xx% off nearly everything coupons that happen. I could've saved $60 but I was impatient so I ordered mine before the 15%off coupon came out. My loss so no big deal.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Figured I would record another video:

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like it's flatulating. Who in their right mind would want all that racket?
Just me but as far as I can tell, it is really "well-behaved". The sound in the video is also not as accurate compared to being there. If you check out my R9K Tuning thread you can compare how they sound like since in these videos I place the camera pretty close to the rear while in the dyno run I am back pretty far. Listening to it downshift is also "a nice touch" and I still enjoy cracking the windows down a bit and listening to it. In comparison to the DNA Motoring (generic eBay) muffler, it at least does not sound riced out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts