Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Can you kill a toyota?
94 Toyota 4x4
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a brake job on the front of my 94 4x4 and I was wondering if four piston brake calipers were standard on all 4x4s or just specific models? Thought is was ironic that my slow speed pickup has four piston calipers when my high speed car has only two piston calipers.

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
yes, the 4x4's do, all years 79-95.5

the 79-85 calipers are thinner because on the solid axle 4x4's they have a solid rotor.

on the 86-95.5 ifs 4x4's they have a wider caliper to accomodate a thicker vented type rotor.

you can use vented rotors from an 81-up landcruiser fj-60 on the 79-85 solid front axle trucks and then bolt on the calipers from the ifs trucks (86-95.5) for an improved braking system.

now the 88 or 89 (cant remember when the 3.0 v-6 was introduced) and up v6 ifs 4x4's use a larger caliper than the 4cyl 4x4s. supposedly they are a bit stronger calipers.

on the later model 4 runners (with the rear coil springs without abs) you can use the master cyl to beef up your brakes a bit also, it is a larger 1'' bore and can move more volume. i believe the one im using was from a 94 4 runner v6 w/o abs. that is on an 84 sfa 4x4 though, you may have a different setup.

if your really looking for a bad ass setup check with downey off road , all pro off road or skys manufacturing for a rear disc brake conversion...

·
Can you kill a toyota?
94 Toyota 4x4
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for all the info. it could use a little more stopiing power. i w ill lookm for a master cylinder.

·
One with the farce
3,139 Posts
The difference with the V6 4x4 calipers is that the pistons are a larger diameter, which increases the pressure on the rotor. For extra braking in my 350 powered '81 1-ton, a 1" bore master cylinder from a '90 V6 4x4 bolted right up to the stock booster, no modifications needed. Toyotas (for the most part) are awesome that way.

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
91celicagt-s said:
I did a brake job on the front of my 94 4x4 and I was wondering if four piston brake calipers were standard on all 4x4s or just specific models? Thought is was ironic that my slow speed pickup has four piston calipers when my high speed car has only two piston calipers.
That's because your high-speed sports car doesn't weigh 4,000 lbs & have a 3500 lb towing capacity...:D

·
rookie
796 Posts
haha! 3500lbs. Yeah I was pretty impressed to see 4 piston pee_heads clamping down on that bad boy.

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
oddly enough, I came ascross a full setup from the front of a 94 4runner (sans calipers), and after installing the spindle/disk combo, my original 93 4x truck calipers would not clear the rotor.........And everywhere I have looked so far have different part numbers fro the disc and/or caliper for 4runners and trucks.... just a cautionary note from experience. :)

·
Can you kill a toyota?
94 Toyota 4x4
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I guess the sports car doesn't have as much weight to stop. I was happy to see 4 piston calipers on the front of my pickup. Makes me not worry about getting a brake upgrade with the bigger tires. Thanks for all the replies an info.

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
Roger (4crawler) did a nice writeup on his site where he switched the master cylinder and vacuum booster from a Chevy truck into his truck with good results. The cylinder in that MC was better than twice as big as the stock unit.

I'll see if I can turn up a link...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Can the 4wd calipers be swapped onto the 2wds? Or is the hub completely differnt?

·
Can you kill a toyota?
94 Toyota 4x4
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ovrrdrive, I got a question. Why do you hate 22re?

I think that would be a common swap considering the physical size of the chevy truck compared to a toyota "mini" truck. A link would be interesting to read if you can locate it.

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
I hate 22re's because I can't seem to get a rebuilt one to last long enough to pay it off...

Once you lose your stock factory motor the replacement engines you get are junk and too damned expensive.

But anyway, I found the link. ;)

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/4runner/brakes/

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
if you want something done right , do it yourself, i used the machine shop that rebuilt your engine that broke a timing chain after 15k miles. when i inspected the block i found a ridge in the # 4 cyl and they didnt plane the deck enough and there were ridges there too. i had to fight with them to simply fix there fuck up and after he finnaly told me he would fix it i told him that id just take it to a machine shop that would do it right the first time and not argue with a paying customer if the machine work was clearly fuked up.

:deadhorse

·
One with the farce
3,139 Posts
Was the Chevy booster the vacuum type or the hydro-boost type?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts