Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 93K on my 2010 S and about to get my 4th set. I bought the car at 28K miles and the dealer replaced the OEM tires. They lasted 32K miles with rotations every 5K miles. I cannot remember what they were. I replaced them with General Altimax RT43's and love how they handle wet and dry pavement but they are ow worn to the bars with only 33K miles on them. Anyone else having this issue with different tires wearing down to quickly? Also anyone having great success with tires that run less than $500 installed. I am on a tight budget now so Michelins are out.

· Registered
234 Posts
You might try NOT rotating the tires so often and then see if there is a wear problem. IMHO, rotating every 5k miles is the method recommended by professionals . . . to cover up problems! Cheaper tires, or performance tires (softer), or the way you drive (aggressively) are all factors, too.

I have Michelins with over 32k miles and they don't really show much wear. They will age-out before they wear-out.

· Registered
364 Posts
It depends on too many factors! 4 sets seems reasonnable if you dont switch to winter tires and use the same ones all the time... and if you drive hard : lots of city, fast turns and bunny rabit accels

you say you like your tires - how they handle - so i guess you have fun with them and take tight turns at speed with them so overall, normal wear :p I bought a see of preused ones, supposedly low mileage, I didnt measure the thread but ate the two front ones over 1 summer with barely 10k miles.Going to bring the rear ones to the wear marks this summer and get a fresh set.

The main factor in changing has been a crappy mech who always says everything is weared down. so in the future im am not bringing my car in for anything and will decide when to change them myself !

· Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It depends on too many factors! 4 sets seems reasonnable if you dont switch to winter tires and use the same ones all the time... and if you drive hard : lots of city, fast turns and bunny rabit accels

you say you like your tires - how they handle - so i guess you have fun with them and take tight turns at speed with them so overall, normal wear :p I bought a see of preused ones, supposedly low mileage, I didnt measure the thread but ate the two front ones over 1 summer with barely 10k miles.Going to bring the rear ones to the wear marks this summer and get a fresh set.

The main factor in changing has been a crappy mech who always says everything is weared down. so in the future im am not bringing my car in for anything and will decide when to change them myself !
By liking my tires, I mean they handle perfectly in wet and dry conditions. I drive a corolla not a mustang. No jackrabbit starts, no flinging around corners, no hard braking. Just very surprised they wore so quickly considering how I drive and take care of them.

2013 Corolla S
2,272 Posts
Mine does... the rear torsion beam is slightly out alignment spec and can't be fixed. It eats up the back tire even with rotatons.

· Registered
3,569 Posts
At 42,000 miles the wifes Rogue, with tires NEVER rotated, measures 6/32nds on every tread front and rear with 3 exceptions. The inner tread on both rear tires is closer to 7/32 and the outer tread on 1 front tire is closer to 5/32nds.
I usually rotate front to rear when the difference gets to a 2/32nds average, typically more wear in the front and less in the rear. Tires were 11/32nds when new, so they still have another 10k miles left to get to 3/32nds where they will not pass inspection in Virginia.
Last car she had was traded in with 55k miles and 4/32nds tread left with a single rotation, Kia Sorento. It had Kuhmo tires and the Rogue had Hankook Optimo HT tires.
I owned a 2006 Corolla that had a defective rear axle and it ate up tires. Axle was replaced twice to get one in specs. My 2015 Mirage also had a defective rear axle which was replaced at 31k miles. It had to much total toe in and was thrust angled to the left, very squirrelly to drive but they finally got it right and it is much nicer to drive.
I traded in a Scion XB with 25k miles and a Tundra with about the same miles and both had no bad wear and easily passed inspection at that mileage on their original tires.
Only the Sorento had it's tires rotated, when the rears had 2/32nds more tread than the fronts. It was around 31k miles.

Rotating tires at 5k miles is a waste of money AND will disguise uneven wear patterns if there are alignment problems from the factory. The wear pattern tells you what to look for and I measure mine regularly.

· Diehard Rams Fan
23,704 Posts
Mine does... the rear torsion beam is slightly out alignment spec and can't be fixed. It eats up the back tire even with rotatons.
You should be able to shim it to get it within spec. When I got my BC coils that is what the shop did to get it perfect.

· Diehard Rams Fan
23,704 Posts
I have 93K on my 2010 S and about to get my 4th set. I bought the car at 28K miles and the dealer replaced the OEM tires. They lasted 32K miles with rotations every 5K miles. I cannot remember what they were. I replaced them with General Altimax RT43's and love how they handle wet and dry pavement but they are ow worn to the bars with only 33K miles on them. Anyone else having this issue with different tires wearing down to quickly? Also anyone having great success with tires that run less than $500 installed. I am on a tight budget now so Michelins are out.
I can't say that mine eats tires and I drive it hard in the canyons and mountains. I just put my 4th set of tires on my 2009 Corolla S Turbo 5MT and it has 103K+ miles on it. That may sound like a lot but I only had my OEM tires on it for 8k miles so I've basically had 2 sets of tires over 95k miles and both where UHP A/S tires. The 2nd set were General Exclaim UHP 225/45R17 and my 3rd were Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires. I liked them so much I just replaced the worn out ones with a new set of the latest Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires in a 225/45R17.

I got around 35-40k miles on my Michelin and 50-55k on the Generals. I liked them both but the Michelin were softer and handled better which is what I want now with the extra power from the turbo.

· Registered
2014 Corolla, 1992 MR2
25 Posts
I replaced them with General Altimax RT43's and love how they handle wet and dry pavement but they are ow worn to the bars with only 33K miles on them.
Have you checked the treadlife warranty? That’s a good indication of how long the “should” last. If they’re indeed wearing fast and you like the tires, you’ll at least save some money on their replacement with a warranty claim.

· Registered
302 Posts
Here is an article that I referenced on another thread:
Weird tire wear
and a portion of the link:
The company I worked for supplied a car model that was built in 2 different plants. The one plant had lots of irregular wear complaints and the other didn't. The plants each credited (blamed) the tire brand (each plant had a different tire brand) - but the design team in Detroit wasn't so sure because the plants had different alignment statistics (how close to spec did they got the alignment.)

The tire companies said the problem was alignment, and that the wear would be aggravated by consumers not using enough inflation pressure.

So the vehicle manufacturer conducted a test. They tested 2 levels of each of these 4 parameters: Camber, Inflation pressure, toe, and tire brand. They conducted the test on a pulley wheel especially designed to test tire wear.

The largest contributor? Toe! Followed by inflation pressure, followed by the interaction of toe and inflation pressure, followed by camber, etc. The least significance was tire brand.

So I'm sticking with the cause being camber with excessive amounts of toe, where the toe was adjusted when you the vehicle was aligned.

-----------------------------
I run 43lbs air in the front, 35 lbs in the rear 215/55R17 94V 2016 Avalon Hybrid....rear toe as close to 0 as possible. All alignment specs have a range that is acceptable. Sidewall stiffness also affects ride V H T (stiffest first, less, less) When I buy tires next I am going to H tires from V. Look at the UTQG number on the tire, if it is 400, then x, if 800 expect more. It depends on what you want most out of the tires.... miles, fuel mileage, traction, noise? My next set is Hankook Kinergy PT H737 tires....90,000 mile warranty (hold your breath) UTQG 860AA 11.3/32 tread. We'll see...
Many threads already on best tires, best oil, best oil drain intervals...might as well recommend best underwear...beat dead horse some more....

Treadlife warranty is nearly a joke...very few collect...read the fine print. It is just a "yardstick" to compare.

· Registered
302 Posts
I forgot to add that the tires that came on my car are Michelin Premier A/S which were installed when the car had 34K, I bought the car @ 58K and now has 62K. Michelin Premier A/S tires come new with 8.5/32nds of tread. A good way to disguise poorly wearing tires, due to an alignment problem, is to rotate them every 5K. RR tire was not wearing correctly, so had it aligned and also noticed both tires on right side have less tread than left side. Right side tires will probably need replacing by 68K...on par with originals.

Point being, that starting out with only 8.5 thirty seconds of tread, is behind the "eight ball" already. So, many reasons why one does not get an "expected" amount of miles out of tires. If the tires won't pass inspection with less than 2/32nds of tread, then a "left handed" way of thinking about it is, when starting out with 8.5/32nds of tread, you can only use 6.5 32nds of tread...whereas starting with 11.3 32nds you can use 9.3 32nds. YMMV

Tires for my car (next size larger) on Amzon for Hankooks are 102.53, Michelin Defender T&H are 172. Similar for Wmart...so yes you can get 4 good tires w/mount/balance for about 500 or so. Hope this helps.

· Registered
364 Posts
I think you are right Diesel Man, the V tires will wear faster, they include those on new cars. theire rated for I think up to 120MPH, but the gum is more "performance" and softer, so you leave more of it on the road when rolling around.

The lower speed rating tires have harder gum, cant go as fast but last longer. Dealers sell the tires that wear down faster it must help them manage stock and sell more units ! Plus it ensures that customers fell like their new cars arent sliding all over the place with "cheap" tires they can drive it like they stole it a bit more safely :p

· Administrator
マズダスピード3
19,026 Posts
This has piqued my interest.

If any tire manufacturer claims the tires life starts at 9/32, but in reality it's smaller, then this comes to mind.

Why does the brand new set of tires wear out in under 60k from the factory? Are the suppliers actually not giving consumers 9/32? I bring this up because my first Corolla set of tires had run out in under 50k and the Mazda ran out in under 60k. I even had the tires rotated every OCI.

· Registered
302 Posts
As you can see, the "H" rating is out of logical sequence, and more is explained on the following page. My car is a Hybrid, so it is incapable of 149mph anyway, but in the interest of fuel mileage, I don't go over 70mph. The days of 1969 Chevelle SS 396 are long gone and never coming back. Comfort Trumps Speed.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

L75 mph120 km/hOff-Road & Light Truck Tires
M81 mph130 km/hTemporary Spare Tires
N87 mph140km/h
P93 mph150 km/h
Q99 mph160 km/hStudless & Studdable Winter Tires
R106 mph170 km/hH.D. Light Truck Tires
S112 mph180 km/hFamily Sedans & Vans
T118 mph190 km/hFamily Sedans & Vans
U124 mph200 km/h
H130 mph210 km/hSport Sedans & Coupes
V149 mph240 km/hSport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.