Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: My 2002 Highlander V6 AWD needs some transmission fluid, The owner manual says I must use Toyota Genuine ATF type T -IV only. Can't I used something else without harming my transmission and volding my warrenty? They said other fluid may cause deterioration in shift quality, locking up of your transmission accompanied by vibration, and damage to transmission.:disappoin :disappoin :disappoin Can I use something else beside toyota fliuds?:sosad:

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,073 Posts
Yes you can use other "EQUIVELENT" Fluids, any fluid designed for Asin-warner transmissions that meet the 3309 standard is accepted.

Toyota Type TIV is such a fluid but being available at the dealer it is at a premium.
look for
< http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_ATF_3309.aspx>

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
if it needs fluid it is probably leaking somewhere. IF it is still under warranty take it to the dealer and let them fix it. I know when I was working for Toyota the pan gaskets were notorious for leaking. However they were covered under the 5/60 powertrain warranty. SO you can probably take it and have it fixed.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
Stick to the Toyota T-IV. It's good shit. :thumbup:

·
The Regenerator
2018 Prius Two-Eco
599 Posts
Be thankful you don't own an Infiniti (we've got a Toyota, and a G35). Nissan/Infiniti seems to have almost as many flavors of ATF as Baskin-Robbins has ice cream. The "Nissan Matic-J" ATF for my G35 costs $12 per quart at the stealer. Manual is full of dire warnings of transmission destruction if you dare use the wrong stuff. One of those details I wish I'd looked into before I bought. . . Live and learn.

·
Registered
132 Posts
for how often you actually have to change the stuff, I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like an oil change, where you are changing it 3-4times a year. SKJ69NYC, You drive a fairly new Highlander, get over the fact that once every 4 yrs you have to put $60 (or however much it actually is) worth of tranny oil in it, and ekpolk same goes for you. My thereoy, if you can afford the vehicle, you can afford the gas and the maintenence, or else you shouldn't own it at all. Just my opinion tho

I realize you were just asking about your options, but still, might as well stick with what factory recommends, especially when it is high quality to begin with. changing to something else is not always an upgrade, or cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
667 Posts
SKJ69NYC for the type T-IV fluid I would stick with Toyota brand fluid.

Mobil makes a 3309 compatible fluid, but I have never seen it on an auto parts store shelf
Amsoil folks make an auto trans fluid that THEY claim is good for EVERY trans (I have a hard time beleiving that since the fluids are different)

DO NOT use a Dexron compatble fluid, bad bad bad!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts