Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
PICKLE GANGSTER
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could have sworn that 96 camrys had clear coat, but now when i am polishing, i always come away with my towels stained red. So what up, secret repaint, wore through it, never had it? Thanks. ( i need to know so i can tailor my car care stuff to the finish)

·
PICKLE GANGSTER
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ mine has a really nice shine with the zaino, but i'm using the Z-2 for clearcoat and am wondering if i should be getting the non clear kind. I always thought with clear you don't get massive color coming off with buffing.

·
幻影
673 Posts
My car's body clearcoat is fine, but I've noticed the same thing polishing my bumpers. I'm not entirely sure if my car had body-color bumpers from the factory or if they were painted later, but since we've owned the car, the bumpers have a matte, less shiny finish.

·
PICKLE GANGSTER
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ yeah, i know for a fact that my bumpers are not clear coated. And a slightly different color, but but body is shiny so i'm not sure if its not. Even claybarring my bumpers turns the clay deep red. I just want to know if i have either worn through my clear somehow or if i only ever had a one step enamel paint.

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
bumpers will always be slightly off-colour than the body because they're plastic. Even on our 02 Camry, the bumper isn't quite the same silver as the body's silver.

·
I don't sugarcoat!!
1995 Camry LE Coupe
393 Posts
Rdizzle, is your car bright red like mine? I have the same thing happen but only on certain panels because most of the car has been repainted and clearcoated. And my bumpers are a different shade of red than the rest of the car.

Some companies didn't clearcoat their red. I had a bright red 1996 Miata that was not clearcoated and paint would stay on the rag.

·
Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,156 Posts
Some manufactors didn't clear coat Red or black, because of the fading under the clearcoat when they did, not sure if Toyota did or not...doesn't seem your were, or you wouldn't be getting the red on your towels! Minds clear coated for sure, and I kinda wish it weren't

·
PICKLE GANGSTER
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DarkSideCelica said:
same thing happening to my red 92 celica too.... i'd wax it, and my wax applicator and towel would trun red!! madness!!
Truly madness man. I'm just gonna assume i don't and go from there.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
I doubt you have a clearcoat. Don't get too agressive if you polish with a buffer. Keep it waxed and use good washing/drying methods, so that you don't cause swirls and have to polish more often than necessary.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Don't say ALL ^. My Black Sand Pearl has a clearcoat.

·
Klaatu barada nikto
'06 XR4WD Cosmic Blu
54 Posts
8legs said:
It has a metallic in it. I said all metallic paints are clearcoated. ;)
How about '06 Cosmic Blue?

Is there some source on-line where you can find out the specifics of the composition of your cars paint lay-up?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts