Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Camry XLE is approaching 60,000 miles. I have not done any 15,000 30,000 or 45,000 services.

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
For the 2007? No. Follow the manual recommendations.

Reactions: tzeshan

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I would.

·
From H to T
'08 Camry
728 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember the car salesman saying that you never need to change the tranny oil

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
For the new toyotas....if you have a tranny dipstick that you can't open up or don't have one at all then you don't need to change it. If it's red tipped, change at 60k. If it's black tipped, change at 100k. Toyota's tranny fluid seems to get black awfully quick but even still they recc. waiting til 100k if you have that color tranny dipstick.

·
Registered
271 Posts
For the new toyotas....if you have a tranny dipstick that you can't open up or don't have one at all then you don't need to change it. If it's red tipped, change at 60k. If it's black tipped, change at 100k. Toyota's tranny fluid seems to get black awfully quick but even still they recc. waiting til 100k if you have that color tranny dipstick.
If the dipstick is black, wouldnt it be more of a reason to change the fluid?

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
From what I heard the fluid getting black early is normal for Toyota tranny fluid. Personally, I think it's a lame duck excuse. All I know is, if you want to change your fluid at 60k go ahead. It won't hurt at all and it gives you peace of mind.

·
FLIP'N THE G-5 WHIP
2005 Black Camry
895 Posts
drain and refill tranny fluid every year and your tranny will last 500,000 miles, never flush, just drain and refill.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
That's a little excessive.....on my old 98 Sunfire with the 3T40 3 speed automatic (no overdrive=a lot of wear and tear!!!), I would do it every two years, along with the tranny filter. At almost 160k the trans was in perfect shape, no slipping or anything. Like people always say, "Don't over-engineer the car".

·
Registered
2008 Camry hybrid
610 Posts
The Camry XLE is approaching 60,000 miles. I have not done any 15,000 30,000 or 45,000 services.
What are the operating conditions and your driving style?

Aggressive driving, in high temps, with frequent shifting, especially at high throttle opening all would indicate a need for more frequent service, as they drive fluid deterioration. On the other hand, if you have a 'relaxed' driving style with many miles at a constant throttle, and in moderate temps (< 80F), a 100K mile + change interval is likely OK. Another factor is the ownership duration goal - if you want to drive the car beyond 200K miles, then the more frequent fluid changes will pay dividends. If you bail out of a car at < 100K, not so much.

So, by all means, follow the manual as a MINIMUM maintenance requirement. But also tailor the recommendation to your car's operating conditions and goals.

·
Toyota | moving forward
1,534 Posts
I don't buy the 'lifetime fluid' thing. I do a drain/refill every so often, probably every other year.

·
2GR FTW
2007 Toyota Camry SE
1,543 Posts
Meh, why not, if you have the money and time, it wouldn't hurt, if it's a car you want to keep, then change it, at the same time you can flush power steering and brake fluid also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts