Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just purchased a 2001 Toyota Corolla and just found a problem that my headlights will not turn off when the car is turned off. I figured it was a problem w/ a short fuse but upon taking it to a mechanic he states that I need to get the DRL module replaced or some switch to bypass it.

I was wondering, as I have read some other forum posts, do you need to have the DRL module on the car? I think yes because the way to disable the DRL function is to cut just one of the wires on the DRL module.

Anyway, I have to go again to the mechanic tomorrow and any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I can't handle this expensive repair for something so dumb right now.

·
Registered
'2017 Camry XLE 4cyl.
739 Posts
Have your mechanic look under the dash, but I can't remember which side. There a junction connector that all the grounds go to.
Then that connector is grounded to body ground. Either left or right kick panel area.
If he has access to diagram, that'd be great.
That connector melts and causes all kinds of DRL problems. I've seen new DRL relays only last a day until the real problem is discovered.

Reactions: doof

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks dward3 and Tech1984 for your quick responses! :D

I will try removing the drl relay and will be extensively talking to the mechanic a lot more tomorrow about all the issues. The horn has also stopped working on the car which probably suggests maybe a more underlying problem with the grounds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never tried this before, but try removing the DRL relay under the front hood and see what happens.
So taking that relay off successfully cuts off the drl but I am not able to control the headlights after that. I was not able to talk directly to the mechanic but they gave me an estimate to fix my horn which suggests a new combination switch and horn switch. I know this is a dumb question but the combination switch has nothing to do w/ my drl problem correct? Anyway, at least the car is operable right now as far as not worrying about the battery getting drained.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.