Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is related to my other question (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3348659#post3348659) that raises suspicion on a local dealership.

I'd like to get a second opinion from an independent mechanic about the problems that my local dealer found, but I can't possibly think independent mechanics carry sufficient parts inventory for all different makes and models. So, when they spot a problem with a car but don't have the parts to fix it, how do they deal with it? Do you have to go back in a few days when they get the parts?

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
They usually have a parts guy they deal with or they'll get it directly from the dealer. Time to get part, I would think, is less than one day. No need to worry I say. My independent mechanic can get any part for my cars within a couple hours.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
yeah, usually my mechanic can get parts within a few hours...if they can't, you'd have been waiting at the dealer anyway because that means the dealer didn't have them in stock, either.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
^^^ what they said.

In answer: NO they do not stock many parts but have them readily available.

·
straight cash homie
21,336 Posts
Better yet, you can probably get the parts yourself if you can get them cheaper and bring them to your guy (Make sure you know what part to get first). The Internet has helped the sourcing of parts to be much easier nowadays, with many suppliers being online (ie Rockauto), and forums such as this one to find them at great prices. Dealers even charge less online for parts than if you purchased over the counter. Obviously, you just need to know where to look and how to search for it.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
Considering your car is a Camry, most independent mechanics should be able to supply parts and their services to it. They don't have a warehouse but they have their sources to supply them with parts. Don't fall into the trap of just sticking with the dealer all the time, my sister's mechanic may have a puny shop but if requested he'll get OEM parts straight from the dealer(I even saw him there). Reading your thread I'd be suspicious about this dealer as it seems they want to upsell. Do get a second opinion if in any doubt it could save you money.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Better yet, you can probably get the parts yourself if you can get them cheaper and bring them to your guy (Make sure you know what part to get first). The Internet has helped the sourcing of parts to be much easier nowadays, with many suppliers being online (ie Rockauto), and forums such as this one to find them at great prices. Dealers even charge less online for parts than if you purchased over the counter. Obviously, you just need to know where to look and how to search for it.
Most mechanics will charge you if you bring your own parts, typically either an increase in cost on labor or by charging you diagnostic time/fees. Unless there is some strange circumstance to it, I know most mechanics don't really like this. Plus my mechanic's up charge for parts is minimal anyway.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
Most mechanics will charge you if you bring your own parts, typically either an increase in cost on labor or by charging you diagnostic time/fees. Unless there is some strange circumstance to it, I know most mechanics don't really like this. Plus my mechanic's up charge for parts is minimal anyway.
Time to get a new mechanic then.

They should give you a discount because you're saving them time and the legwork needed to get the parts.

·
straight cash homie
21,336 Posts

They should give you a discount because you're saving them time and the legwork needed to get the parts.
+1...most these guys would rather work on other cars than call around for parts. Of course they do make money when they try to source the parts for you as well, so at least give a bit extra for their work when you can find the part for less.

·
11,513 Posts
Right, It's all about money. Many independents mechanics have a parts supply truck, ie Carquest, etc, that visits their shop to sell and/or deliver parts to them.

·
11,513 Posts

Again, not really. Some of these folks have an agreement and/or contract with a specific parts supplier that provides the parts at a fair price for the mechanic (of course not for the consumer) so that there is more mark up room for the mechanic. Besides, in some states repair facilities can charge a service fee, which is either a percentage of the total repair bill or a set fee. This fee covers shop supplies, taxes for the shops and also can be profit for them. So, on a bill a person could have up to 4 charges.

·
Premium Member
14,754 Posts

We just don't offer any labor warranty when we install a customers part, if it fails they have to pay us to do it again. if our part fails within warranty we'll replace it for free. not fair for us to eat it if their Chinese eBay part is a piece of junk.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
Again, not really. Some of these folks have an agreement and/or contract with a specific parts supplier that provides the parts at a fair price for the mechanic (of course not for the consumer) so that there is more mark up room for the mechanic. Besides, in some states repair facilities can charge a service fee, which is either a percentage of the total repair bill or a set fee. This fee covers shop supplies, taxes for the shops and also can be profit for them. So, on a bill a person could have up to 4 charges.
As a consumer I could care less what the shop has to deal with on the administrative side of things. As long as prices are reasonable for the quality of parts and service I receive then I have no issues. The onus is placed on the owner or mechanic to disclose the fine print of miscellaneous charges to the customer to give them a choice whether to proceed or not. Unfortunately, the majority of are still out to make a quick buck and don't or won't disclose this critical information to the prospective customers until it's too late.

We just don't offer any labor warranty when we install a customers part, if it fails they have to pay us to do it again. if our part fails within warranty we'll replace it for free. not fair for us to eat it if their Chinese eBay part is a piece of junk.
That's a given. No one gets a free lunch. My point was leaning more towards the purchase of lower-priced OEM parts over the internet. Most shops I've seen around my neck of the woods tend to push their own brand of cheap aftermarket parts and charge almost dealer pricing for their services.

·
11,513 Posts
As a consumer I could care less what the shop has to deal with on the administrative side of things. As long as prices are reasonable for the quality of parts and service I receive then I have no issues. The onus is placed on the owner or mechanic to disclose the fine print of miscellaneous charges to the customer to give them a choice whether to proceed or not. Unfortunately, the majority of are still out to make a quick buck and don't or won't disclose this critical information to the prospective customers until it's too late.

I hear you there. Like you said, many don't. I did not know about the extra "service" fee until someone posed the question to Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers. On doing research, the fee is allowed here in Ohio. Some of the bigger chains, ie Firestone, Goodyear, tap out the fee at $39. This is again, on top of taxes, labor rate, and parts costs.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
I hear you there. Like you said, many don't. I did not know about the extra "service" fee until someone posed the question to Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers. On doing research, the fee is allowed here in Ohio. Some of the bigger chains, ie Firestone, Goodyear, tap out the fee at $39. This is again, on top of taxes, labor rate, and parts costs.
That's why I avoid chains altogether.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts