Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ukrkoz hadspreviously stated this in a post (I can't find it), but WARNING: DO NOT IDLE EXCESSIVELY IN NEUTRAL. The traction battery does NOT recharge while idling in neutral, but it DOES recharge while idling in Park.

I learned the hard way: while waiting/driving through a car wash, I heard a warning alarm (ding?), and saw a warning, something like "Traction Battery Charge Too Low". I don't remember the exact wording, but I remember Ukrkoz' warning about this. Fortunately, I was able to get out of the carwash, drove the car, and within a mile or two (it seemed to take FOREVER) the traction battery gauge went from 1 purple bar to 2, and then ultimately to green bars.

We just returned from an extensive road trip, FWorth-VA-FWorth-Tampa-FWorth. We inevitably had the car sit idling, in Park, A/C on (dogs in the car, always with a human!) and had no issues.

·
My first Hybrid
73 Posts
I guess Toyota didnt' think about the "N" case for car wash places. They want it in "N" to move it by the system.

I moved your other question to dedicated thread. This is N thread.

·
6,164 Posts
Nothing will happen to your car in car wash 10 minutes in N. Just turn off AC, heater and all other appliances and don't really go in with only 2 bars left on hybrid battery.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing will happen to your car in car wash 10 minutes in N. Just turn off AC, heater and all other appliances and don't really go in with only 2 bars left on hybrid battery.
Problem is, I never have my gauges showing hybrid battery capacity. If I had checked it first, I would have driven around enough to charge it up.
I find it curious that there would be a difference between N and P.

·
6,164 Posts
It's how PSD is made. None we can do about it.
But I have a better question.
Not that I am frequenting car washes, as I have water, hose, bucket soap and am able bodied, but I do not recall a single car wash I been to, that REQUIRED my car to be in neutral. I was in P or turned off, while brushes moved. I am sure, there some fancy ones that tug your vehicle through washing paces, or are there?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All the hi-end car washes are tunnels, with a mechanism that pulls/rolls the left wheels along a channel. Length of time depends on how long you have to wait in line.
In my case, I'm sure it was purely coincidental that my battery was low when I started into the tunnel. I won't do THAT again.
I hand washed/detailed my cars for 55 years (I'm 65). It's time for someone else to do the work, as I have better things to do!;););)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts