Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my Hybrid and I would think they do but mine aren't lighting up.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, to get these buttons right you just gotta do it by feel. Feel for the two buttons and hit the right one for the ECO and left for the gas, so you don't hit the gas cap on accident. Kind of annoying but you get used to it real quick.
Odd the print on the gas and ECO button doesn't light.Not a big deal but you would think Toyota would have the buttons light up.Cost savings.
A small square does light up on the ECO button when the ECO mode.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does the ECO button only work when the air-conditioning is turned on? Reason why I asked is mine does not though I have the heater on. I switched on the air-conditioning to test the ECO button but it still does not light up although the user manual says that the air-conditioning unit may not function when the outside temperature is close to freezing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The ECO button will not engage if the system is set to any defrost setting.

The ECO button does have a function in the winter as well as the summer.

In winter, withe the ECO ON, the ICE is much more willing to shut down as long as the interior temp is set to ~20C / 70F or cooler.

·
Super Moderator
9,406 Posts
really? as i tried that, and mine is set up to 71, and ECO does diddly squat, unless a/c is on, and i do not turn it on, as it takes more gas, than little economy possibly done by eco button.
and yes, i was chastised place else that i am jeopardizing safety by not turning a/c on as it clears fogged windows faster, and i have simple response - WINDOW VISORS. excellent substitute for a/c almost all year long.

to make sure i am understood corrctly - eco mode does not turn on, unless a/c is engaged. regardless of cabin temp settings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Decided to check out the ECO button again. After a few tests, found out that for ECO button light and ECO symbol to come on,
1. AC switch needs to be activated AND
2. Air flow mode can be set to either pointing to face or to legs or both BUT not pointing to windscreen.

·
Registered
115 Posts
to make sure i am understood correctly - eco mode does not turn on, unless a/c is engaged. regardless of cabin temp settings.
ECO will turn on with or without AC, it will not engage if the system is set to blow onto the windshield.

The ECO button is not magic, it just loosens the parameters under which the hybrid system will engage (engine stop or EV mode).

·
Registered
10 Posts
ECO will turn on with or without AC, it will not engage if the system is set to blow onto the windshield.

The ECO button is not magic, it just loosens the parameters under which the hybrid system will engage (engine stop or EV mode).
Yes u are correct. Just checked that it does not matter if ac is on or off. ECO can be engaged as long as air mode is not set to blow into windscreen.

·
Still lovin my Hybrid
23 Posts
Yes u are correct. Just checked that it does not matter if ac is on or off. ECO can be engaged as long as air mode is not set to blow into windscreen.
Yup!

The ECO button designer screwed up badly. It should work as follows:
1) If turned off manually, it should stay off (it does)
2) If turned on, it should turn off if front defogger is on (it does) but TURN BACK ON when defogger is turned off if it was on when defogger activated.
3) ECO button should stay on if air is directed to windshield and A/C is not turned on nor defogger button depressed.

I spend more time checking whether the ECO has turned itself off than I do checking to see if there is a pedestrian I can silently run over or silently come up from behind and scare to death with my horn. The latter is, of course better as there are no marks left on the victim.

·
Super Moderator
9,406 Posts
i rest ashamed. ECO does turn on in floor/in your face/in your face + floor mode. i apologize for doubting.
why it can't work in floor/windshield mode, i dare not to ask.

is there any particular super high tech mileage saving enhancing reason "auto" climate control will work in "floor" mode only? as it does this on TCH and on my wife's 99 RX300? is that some sort of cultural Japanese thing that it will not work in auto mode in any other setting?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.