Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have been thinking of changing the oil on my own for my new (1999) Tacoma. Is this any easy process? Something I could do in my garage? What is the recommended oil for the v6 of this year?

I used to change the oil in my old Volvo, so I have some experience in the general knowledge of oil changes, but I want to know if there is anything I should know about do this with a Tacoma.

P.S., I also did a search before I posted this, but if there is another thread that addresses my questions, please show me.

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,676 Posts
Do it yourself, you should have no problems. I have the 3.4 in my 04 and it takes 5w-30. I run Mobil 1 but before that I ran Castrol GTX and never had a problem. Purolater makes a good and cheap filter. I dont know about the 99's but I assume you have the same cumbersome skid plate--just remove it and dump the oil, the filter on the other hand is a pain in the butt but once you get the right hand positioning you'll have it down pat.

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?page=index_v2&id=4&c=8

^^^^^^For oil filters and viscosity

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/tacoma_4runner_30k/maintenancep2.html#oil

^^^^How to change it. Note--this website tells you not to remove the skid plate and peel back the fender liner--I've never done it it sounds too easy lol

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dana, for the help. And the website with pictures works great. My old Volvo was easy to do this on, the Tacoma looks like work, but is not an impossibility -- plus I like working on cars myself and this wikll help pass the weekends now that football is done. :)

Oh and Dana, I aprrecaite this coming from you, as now it looks that both our NFL teams have gone down the tubes. :sosad:

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,676 Posts
No problem. I didn't want to bring up the Bronco's debacle on Sunday, I know exactly how you feel, both teams should be back. As for your oil change it should be no problem, that website, 4x4 wire, is extremely helpful and insiteful. While your under the truck, if you have a grease gun you might want to hit the driveshafts(if its the same my 04). In my 04 those are the only grease joints on the entire truck. Another good oil change is the rear differential fluid (and T-case and front dont remember if your truck is 4x4) I put Amsoil synthetic in all 3 of mine but Toyota sells the stuff right at the dealership and you dont need a pump with their diff oil. I changed mine last year in the rear and it was nasty, it was black and crappy, yours being a 99 who knows when it was done last and it only costs you less than 20 dollars. Good luck.

P.S. Your not a Colorado Rockies fan are you??:lol:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dana_15 said:
P.S. Your not a Colorado Rockies fan are you??:lol:
You'll probably laugh even more when I say... I am a Chicago Cubs fan.
However, I like the Rox too. At least their games are a fun thing to go to in the summer. Coors Field is awesome and they brew their own beer there too! (Microbrew, not Coors)

I was going to ask if you are a hockey/Bruins fan? Judging by your location.

ON TOPIC:
Is it easy to change the differential oil too? Perhaps I will tool around 4x4 wire and hunt for some other maintenance stuff to do.

Gotta get back to work though.

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,676 Posts
Changing the differential fluid is real easy--if you can get the plugs out you need a 24mm socket a wrench wont work. Really simple to drain pull both plugs real easy to fill--put drain plug back in and pour in new fluid in fill plug until it comes out put fill plug back in--done. But like I mentioned some brands have a pour spout on the container some dont-the ones that dont you'll need a pump for it . This stuff here is awesome:
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx

I wish I was a Cubs fan. The Red Sox winning was actually bad-now I don't care anymore, the whole Bambino curse, Buckner, etc added to the mystique. Last year when they lost in the playoffs I honestly didn't care. I am a Bruins fans yes:ugh3: . They are awful. Have to be the most mismanaged team in the league for years now. We traded Joe Thornton, the captain, for nothing. Its bad around here the Bruins have rabid fans but there front office takes it for granted. Same with the Celtics. The Red Sox and Patriots spoil us because they are committed to winning and put a competitive team on the field EVERY year. The Celtics have incredible fans but they are mismanaged also. I'm a huge sports fan as you can see.LOL

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,676 Posts
Yeah the Canadiens have fallen on hard times but not as bad as Boston. Even when Boston is good they suck. The problem with the NHL is too many teams make the playoffs and Boston will probabley sneak in even being in last place right now. I think the Canadiens bounced the B's two years ago (or maybe 3?) when Boston had the top seed and Montreal had the low seed--go figure--I hate getting my hopes up. They need to clear the front office and sell the team to Robert Kraft (Pats owner and local hero)!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've always changed my own oil. I probably change fluids long before it is necessary, but I figure that changing oil/transmission/power steering fluid is much cheaper than replacing the respective units. I've even went so far as doing a complete exchange of transmission fluid by pumping out all of the old fluid via the cooler lines, putting new fluid in and changing the filter after the new fluid suspends some of the particles clinging to inside of the tranny. I read about this on one car manufacturers site. It probably has some validity to it. As far as how beneficial it is, probably minimally. But it makes me feel better.

Now what really drives me crazy is the sealed tie-rod ends and ball joints. I think everything needs fresh lubricants after 10,000 miles. But as you can tell, I'm obsessed with this kind of maintenance.

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,676 Posts
Fomhoire said:
Now what really drives me crazy is the sealed tie-rod ends and ball joints. I think everything needs fresh lubricants after 10,000 miles. But as you can tell, I'm obsessed with this kind of maintenance.
I hear ya on that. I remember when I first got my 04 I crawled under the truck that weekend (my wife thinks I'm crazy) to hit all the grease joints (just in case one was missed) and to my surprise there was none! The only ones I found are on the driveshafts and depending on the position of the shafts some are hidden, thankfully I found forums like this to help me out. I dont know why they sealed the tie-rod ends and especially the ball joints. My 03 Silverado had I think 12 grease joints on either side, but there must be an advantage to sealed fittings besides the lack of maintenance

·
Registered
22 Posts
dana_15 said:
there must be an advantage to sealed fittings besides the lack of maintenance
There is an advantage. The car makers take advantage of the opportunity to sell new balljoints, which are often integral steering parts costing $100's on some vehicles. The dealers take advantage of the opportunity to not only replace the balljoints, but a brake job as well. And the most important advantage of greaseless balljoints is the carmakers have another opportunity to sell another vehicle after some people are shocked at the cost of replacing ball joints.

So you see, it is a win-win situation for all parties involved, except the consumer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts