Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have any visible rust on your Camry?

Please indicate the year of your Camry and area/city you live in.

I'm trying to determine if rust will be a problem in the future for my Camry. I've seen a lot of older Japanese cars with rust problems, especially around the wheel well. If this is still an issue, I will do everything to prevent it, such as cleaning the wheel well throughly and put extra wax around that area.

Any way, your input please. State the year of your Camry, city, and if you have any rust.

·
Registered
374 Posts
1996 Camry, Dallas Texas.

Yes I have rust. The car was in Kansas for like 5 years then Dallas before I got it.

Is the rust around the wheel well? No. It's on the hood where gravel falls off trucks, chips the paint, and rust develops because of the humidity.

Yeah that's not a really big help. The rust isn't very noticeable either. Maybe 4 more years and you'll be able to see it from a distance. I'm considering getting a bra but that will only conceal the problem right now, not make it go away.

·
06 Camry LE I4
89 Posts
Rust on the exhaust manifold on a 2006 camry. I saw the rust at the first time i opened the hood. I think it is normal.

·
Registered
128 Posts
1999 camry LE, Hawaii

Its a small patch near the driver side rear bumper area. Its the area at the end where the body panel and the rear bumper meet up. I guess the paint scratched off, and now it's starting to rust.

·
Black since 1985
97 Camry
2,468 Posts
1997 Camry, very small like Pencil eraser size rust.. but it's like 2 or 3 and clearly where paint chipped off

Lanham, MD USA

·
Registered
110 Posts
man so today i was trying to unscrew the bolts that holds the strut .. boy those were rusted to the point i couldn't get it off. i gave up. and the bolts that hold my mounts. wow those were a pain in the ass to get out. but yeah.. rust is normal i guess. esp here in chicago. with all the snow+salt

·
幻影
673 Posts
1991 Camry, Detroit Michigan

Some rust on the right fender behind where the mudflap used to be. Other than that, no body rust at all, which is not bad considering that older camry's rust out like none other with salt exposure.

·
06 Camry LE I4
89 Posts
Ruffrydasean said:
1997 Camry, very small like Pencil eraser size rust.. but it's like 2 or 3 and clearly where paint chipped off

Lanham, MD USA
If you have a small area of chip off, you should fix it, because rust can concentrates and grows rapidly at the point where a big piece of iron with corrosion protection but with small area unprotected.

·
Registered
1 Posts
caleroad

I bought a brand new white camry last summer. Also bought the protection package. has less than ten thousand miles and there are tiny rust spots all over the doors. most likely my l
ast Toyota.

·
Registered
1 Posts
caleroad

I bought a brand new white camry last summer. Also bought the protection package. has less than ten thousand miles and there are tiny rust spots all over the doors. most likely my l
ast Toyota.

The little rust spots all over the doors are from rail rust/ metal fallout. All cars have this but it shows up on white most because of the color contrast. Typically it is seen more on newer cars because they become magnetized when they are transported on rail cars and then iron is attracted to the surface and sticks. It can be easily removed by using an Iron Fallout remover and clay baring the areas. This is not because of the car being a Toyota, it is because it is a white vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just hate when rust is on the bolts when I need to change the brake pads or do other engine work. That rust is annoying because sometimes it just gets worse unless you repair it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts