Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tire joints have a “tire disposal fee.”

I could save a few bucks by taking them to a dumpster or a used tire place to sell them for like $10 each.
It’s a horrible fee considering they can sell the tires to recycle the rubber.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,110 Posts
The tire joints have a “tire disposal fee.”

I could save a few bucks by taking them to a dumpster or a used tire place to sell them for like $10 each.
It’s a horrible fee considering they can sell the tires to recycle the rubber.
Discount charges $2.50 and Costco $1.00 per tire, Walmart's site say they don't add a disposal fee. They all charge installation fees plus those above. Every installer is different! The local recyclers in S.D won't take tires due to bulk and fire hazard. If you have access to sell them and a way to transport them then it's worth considering.

·
Registered
506 Posts
My town allows a person to dispose of 4 tires per vehicle registration per year for free at our transfer station. Might be worth checking in to...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Getting it sold for $10 sounds quite a good deal already. I have to check local tire joints what they offer for tire disposal.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the two worn out tires to a small business tire joint. They were too sun damaged with cracks.
They said just junk them. I asked if they can take them, and they did.

The new ones were only $30 each with $20 install each at discount tire. They tried to sell me the warranty ($4.50 per tire) and disposal fee ($3 each) which would’ve been about $15 more. I walked out paying $108.15.

It’s just that the previous times I’ve bought a tire with warranty, I never got around to using the warranty. I would just forget where I got the tire or just never remember it was under warranty.

$15 saved. Makes me want to catch a rose with my teeth and celebrate.

4CA8EDBF-F5AF-4B34-BEA5-038D9BB691BA.png

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
No tire hoarding at this address

My time and fuel are worth more than driving around and seeing if I can dispose of or sell a used tire.

I'll pay the disposal fee. If the tire is any good, they will be sorted and sold on the used market. If not, the local tire to energy plant will burn it as fuel.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No tire hoarding at this address

My time and fuel are worth more than driving around and seeing if I can dispose of or sell a used tire.

I'll pay the disposal fee. If the tire is any good, they will be sorted and sold on the used market. If not, the local tire to energy plant will burn it as fuel.
maybe throw on roof of an auto zone lmao

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

I just bought a couple new tires for $30 each, and took them to a mom n pop tire shop.

This shop installed them for $35 total. i
Asked the guy if he wants buy the older ones. He said yes and gave me $10 total for both.

I guess I could’ve pushed for more, but if he would’ve gotten upset and said no, it’s a waste of time to go find a shop to take them.

So I spent about $68 at the first tire shop, including tax and a “state fee” whatever that is.
Then net $25 to install.

Not the greatest come up in the world.
Just philosophically speaking, it’s a nice $16 swing in my favourite to go from posing someone $3 each to take them to getting paid $5 each for them.
Gonna spend that $16 on a jug of motor oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts