Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 89' toyota corolla, with just headers, no exhaust. i went to a muffler shop, and they said i need flex-pipe or i'll crack the manifold... is he serious, or just trying to sell me something?

he offered one for non-racing, and one for racing... if i get it, i'm getting the one for racing ;)

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
[Yoda mode on] Yeeeshh.... flex pipe you need... hmmm... a good one yeeesh [Yoda mode off]

It's to compensate for engine tilt during acceleration and when lifting your foot of the throttle

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
i never had one put on my ae86.....and every year i'd have to re-weld my headers due to cracking.....what a PITA that was.....may she rest in peace......

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
My Pacesetter header come with a ball joint type flex. Its not as flexable as the usual pipe but no problem with it.

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
Get one. I destroyed my Exhaust system without one. Sucked :thumbdown

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
It looks like there is a flex pipe, right after where the 4 pipes come together.... Is this a flex pipe? if not, could somebody describe or get a picture of one? Thanks.......

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
Nope... the flex pipe is the fat cilindrical looking thing where the two pipes become one (on the top portion of the exhaust)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey, thanks guys. the flex-pipe i'm getting is 2 1/4 in., so i should be good to go with that.

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
thanks lcarocha, that's what i meant, where the 4 connect to the 2 and become one, i had seen pics of what i thought was a flex pipe, but it wasn't already connected to the headers. thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts