Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there know how many catalytic converters are on our trucks? I was going to have my exhaust done this weekend and some custom headers made for it too, but was told by the exhaust shop that the california tacos have 5 catalytic converters and if any were removed ie: to make headers for it, then it wouldn't pass smog here in Cali. Sumfin' to the effect of "you can add cats, but you cant take them away.. it has to have the same number smog control features as it does from the factory.. you can modify them, or get hi-performance parts to replace them.. but you can't just remove them or it wont pass"

is that what's really goin' on with our trucks.. cause i was stoked on gettin' headers made

so what i'm told now is that all i can do is replace the muffler and get high flow cats in there if i want it to pass the california smog check.

:confused:

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
there are 2 cats that are monitored by o2 sensors..then a few inchs after that there is a resonator in line on each side but are not monitored by anything.
both the cat and resonator are about little more then a foot down from where the manifolds bolt to the block.
So tehre are 2 cats and 2 resonators

·
short beds are ghey
495 Posts
To add to that, they're far enough down that you can run a set of shorty headers and still retain them (or replace them with hi-flows if you're making headers at the same time.) That's true with almost every car, really - as long as you make the headers and put as many cats as it had, you're good. The only car I've seen that was a problem is the '03+ Accord V6 - the damn exhaust manifolds ARE the primary cats. It's the damndest thing. I don't know if they've beat it yet, but when I had mine nobody had been able to make headers and stick cats on them without tripping a CEL - I guess the ECM was calibrated to have the O2 sensors exactly where they were in the flow of things, and didn't dig being any farther downstream. I'm sure someone has figured out how to beat that by now, though.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys.. i guess the shop said that the tacos that were made for the california market were different tho.. more cats because of our emissions guidlines out here... or somethin' like that.. anyone know if that's true or not?

and.. so you guys are tellin' me its possible to have headers made and still keep everything legal?

05XRunner said 2 cats.. and Gadget2317 said 4 cats.. which one is it? do any of you guys have different headers on your trucks? just curious

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anyone???

·
short beds are ghey
495 Posts
drummerguy1584 said:
anyone???

Take Gadget's word for it - he's a vendor that makes stuff for the trucks, his job is being under them poking on stuff. Or just climb under your truck and count them if you're still in doubt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts