Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Camry
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how to swap out the serpentine belt on an '04 Camry 4cyl.?:confused:
I have looked and I cant see where to loosen the belt either by and adj bolt or by a tensioner. Does any one know. TIA.

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
I think these things have an adjusting bolt. Loosen all of the alternator bolts (usually 2), then rotate the adjusting bolt to move the alternator up/down. Look carefully at the alternator mounting bracket to see this setup. The bolt head may be on top off or under the bracket.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
you'll have to basically put ALL your weight on to it to make it budge sometimes

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Eye8Pussies said:
you'll have to basically put ALL your weight on to it to make it budge sometimes
Plus some, haha.

Maybe pick up a rubber mallet and tap it. If you have a lot of miles, it's probably siezed there, and just needs a few good wacks to get it to move.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
Eye8Pussies said:
Yup. I had to basically use all of my force on a breaker bar to get it loose enough to get it off. The easiest way to do it is to have a friend pull the belt off of the crank pulley (down inside the wheel well) while you get a workout in with the breaker bar and the tensioner bolt.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
^ lol

try some penetrating oil for a couple of days

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
What are you using to move the bolt? I used an 18" breaker bar and 19mm socket and the tensioner moved with some force. But it did not feel like I had to break any corrosion loose. I pulled back on it and my brother slipped the belt on and off.

The easiest way I found was to stand in front of the car and pull the breaker bar and have someone standing on the side slip the belt on and off. The alternator should be the easiest since it's the smallest pulley and it's right there on top. Though the water pump should be easy too since it's slick.

I tried pushing the breaker bar from the side and the other person standing in front slipping the belt on. But I couldn't hold it long enough for my brother to put the belt on.

·
Registered
2004 Camry
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm, cant remember now. But I had both the top and bottom alt bolts removed.
But looking at that diagram I was doing it wrong. :eek: According to it I turn the bar clock wise. But it appears that it will hit the wp pulley but I will try again this weekend.
YOu would think they would have made it easier.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
CLIFFJONES said:
Hmmm, cant remember now. But I had both the top and bottom alt bolts removed.
But looking at that diagram I was doing it wrong. :eek: According to it I turn the bar clock wise. But it appears that it will hit the wp pulley but I will try again this weekend.
YOu would think they would have made it easier.
Yes, you have to turn it clockwise, and use a pretty long bar, it'll make it easier. And try and get the socket on the tensioner as far vertical as you can get the bar because you'll want all the room you can get to pull down on it.

·
Registered
2004 Camry
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, guys. It took awhile but I finally figured it out. Geez, I cant believe it took me as lomg as it did to chg that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts