Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone takes their Camry to the track. I have thought about doing it for fun, just to see how the car would do.

·
Registered
98' Camry
428 Posts
i have not and i dont plan on it either =P

·
Registered
98' Camry
428 Posts
haha because its not the fastest thing ever plus i wouldn't want to break anything =P. if i had a audi turbo id be on the track everyday haha

·
Nostalgia Member
6,609 Posts
it would do okay on short courses like AutoX, but anything with big straights like an HPDE or Time Attack it would be game over

·
Registered
98' Camry
428 Posts
i wouldnt mind going on some type of rally course im more of a fast driver than fast car kinda guy

·
Needs more TRD...
98/00 Camrys
240 Posts
I prefer canyon roads more than the track...
I like the curves....hehe

·
slowamatic noob
1996 Toyota Camry
3,857 Posts
at the drag strip...no, at the track (with turns) = yes :)

cant wait till I'm v6, manual, and supercharged... :cool:

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
I prefer canyon roads more than the track...
I like the curves....hehe
i think hes talking about circuit tracks anyways.

i would track my car if it werent my DD. its kinda silly to go through all that work for a car i dont track but i guess im just an irrational kinda guy. would love to track mine though.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
at the drag strip...no, at the track (with turns) = yes :)
cant wait till I'm v6, manual, and supercharged... :cool:
Now thats what I am talkin about!!! Hey a94autoCamry what mods do you have done? Mine looks just like yours only with bronze wheels!

Mine is a DD too, but I have another car at home, so I guess its not as much of a worry for me.

I think tracking a Camry on HPDE would be just fine. Your there to learn the car, its not about speed. Besides you would have an instructor in the car giving you help along the way! Time Attack, on the other hand would be a loosing battle.

All in all, I just think it would be fun. I run my car on local roads and it does fine, I would love to open it up now!

I have Road Atlanta, Roebling Road, Barber Motorsports Park somewhat close by. Maybe I should see what I can get on!

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
i took my coupe to the drag trip(1/8th mile) and it did ok. i beat a s/c mini and stayed with a 3.8 pontiac granprix.

but i would love to autox my car........yes the wagon also :lol:

·
vL
92 Toyota Camry
849 Posts
havent took my car to auto xing but i took it to the drag strip. One thing i can say is, it sure is slow at the track, but on the street, its something different.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
yup...my supercharged solara (auto) w/ eibachs and kybs, and 18" rims w/ kuhmo 712s- it did decent. The automatic sucks ass, and the supercharger (ironically) makes it worse since the car is then fast enough to get out of second gear on a couple of straights, so I can't just leave it in second.

Also, the lack of engine braking puts a lot of strain on the stock braking system with such a heavy car. If I tried to drive hard on the first lap while the tires are cold, the car slides all over the place and the brakes can start to fade.

But overall, not too badly- I was passing rsx's, civics, and a couple of subies and bmws. Couldn't hold up to the powerful cars though, like the sti's, m3, m5, is350, etc.

Can't wait to take my camry to the track- lighter, faster, better brakes, better tires/wheels, suspension, 5-speed, etc etc. Come june my track days will start for the year :thumbup:

·
Old fogey
1,429 Posts
I track the vette. Haven't done the Camry yet, but I've been considering it for shits and giggles. There's definitely plenty of slow drivers in fast cars in the beginner groups that I could probably take down in the Camry. It would probably just be a hoot. Plus I suppose it'd be an interesting opportunity to put the coilovers to real use.

I know instructors who rent Buick Lucernes when they fly to an away track... a Camry should definitely be do-able, albeit nowhere near as fun as a car that has some real get up and go.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I track the vette. Haven't done the Camry yet, but I've been considering it for shits and giggles. It would probably just be a hoot.

I know instructors who rent Buick Lucernes when they fly to an away track... a Camry should definitely be do-able, albeit nowhere near as fun as a car that has some real get up and go.
See I think it would be a blast too. There are plenty of newbies in Vettes and Porsches that with my experience I might be able to have a lot of fun with on the track! I am thinking that I am going to need a TRD rear sway bar with my Tokicos and H&R's I should be good!

I had a friend 2 years ago who tracked his Saturn Aura V6 that he rented from Enterprise. It was so funny to see him throwing that thing around the track. The car did quite well too!

·
slowamatic noob
1996 Toyota Camry
3,857 Posts
Now thats what I am talkin about!!! Hey a94autoCamry what mods do you have done? Mine looks just like yours only with bronze wheels!
sparco speed racing seat, 5 point corbeau harness, 16x7 adr gt sports with 225/45/16 bf goodrich kdw2 tires, trd rear sway bar, front strut tower bar, kyb gr2 struts, h&r springs, rear disc conversion, upgraded front v6 camry 2 piston brakes, goodridge ss lines

yup...my supercharged solara (auto) w/ eibachs and kybs, and 18" rims w/ kuhmo 712s- it did decent. The automatic sucks ass, and the supercharger (ironically) makes it worse since the car is then fast enough to get out of second gear on a couple of straights, so I can't just leave it in second.
I can leave it in 2nd since the car is slow on the straights, getting to 80mph takes awhile :lol:

but I have acquired various parts from milt so leaving it in 2nd gear will no longer be a problem and will have more power at the same time ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts