Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before reading please note that I am talking about only 8 seater Highlanders. Not the captain chair models...

I am in the market for a Japanese V6 5 seat crossover and was looking at the Honda Passport and the Nissan Murano. Looking at the Highlander I notice that the 3rd row is so small as to be useless. Does anyone use their Highlander as an exclusive 5 seater with the 3rd row folded flat most of the time? I dislike the CVT on the Nissan Murano and I dislike the frustrating touch screen controls on the Honda Passport. The Highlander has better ergonomics than the Passport and more cargo space than the Murano (with the third row folded). I wish the Rav 4 came with a V6. What do you all recommend for a V6 crossover that can seat 5 and have 40+ cubic feet of cargo space?

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited
91 Posts
Yes, I do. I went all over town to find an 8 seater Limited Hybrid. The 3rd row is down all the time. However, its cargo space is still smaller than the 4Runner.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
351 Posts
I use it purely as a 5 seater. For me, the bench seat was a non-negotiable. Otherwise, I'd essentially be limited to a midsize SUV with 4 seats given the non-functional 3rd row.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Platinum - Moon Dust
225 Posts
The 3rd row for me right now is sticking all my wives Chinese friends until our baby grows up! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would definitely not say the 3rd row is unusable for my family, but others we've tried out are definitely more comfortable back there, which is why the Telluride is still one of our choices. We still prefer the 2nd row bench though, and the Toyota has the advantage as you can get a loaded up Limited with that seating, but if we match the other options in a Kia, it eliminates the 2nd row bench in the equivalent trim level. E.g., 20" wheels and LED headlights only come in the top two levels of the Kia (SX or EX Premium) but both require 2nd row captains chairs. Getting the bench in the EX necessitates smaller wheels and non-LEDs.

We haven't had much luck finding a Limited Highlander with a bench.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Granted I have a Venza rather than a HL which eliminates the possibility of a 3rd row, but if you have no regular need for it there may well be times it is handy to have. We've had a Honda Odyssey since 2005 and never got past having 1 child. The 3rd row has always stayed folded down unless we needed it several times a year for several little league team mates or the like. The rest of the time the extra cargo area is always handy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I am interested in a XLE or Limited Highlander with the bench seat. I was also looking at the Telluride & Palisade but prefer to wait and see how those do when they are at 200,000+ miles. The price and features of the 8 seat XLE appeal to me but I am not sure how the softex seats hold up. I live in Houston, TX and it is very hot & humid here. The ventilated leather seats with memory on the limited sound nice. I have never owned a vehicle with ventilated seats. I guess I will need to test drive both models. So far I have only test driven the RAV4 XLE Premium which felt overpriced for a 4 cylinder crossover with fake leather. I wish I could add driver memory and leather to the XLE.

·
Registered
Highlander Hybrid 2020
367 Posts
Does anyone use their Highlander as an exclusive 5 seater with the 3rd row folded flat most of the time?
Yes, all the time. I raise the 3rd seat when I want to hold something in the cargo area (and not have it move around). Or when I want to separate the 2 children so they don't fight (it has not happened yet...) or to push potential covid people as far as possible from the driver (happened once, it was negative).

As mentionned by someone else, I come from the Venza, which was good (can tow 2500 lbs with the I4). Sadly, the old Venza is no longer available. The new one can't tow 2500 lbs (and was not available when we needed it). So the Highlander Hybrid was the lowest fuel consumption available that can tow at least 2500 lbs and has as much space as the Venza.

Rav4 Trail Edition (Advanture in the US) can tow, drinks less fuel than the Venza bus is a little bit smaller (feels like that).

New Rav4 Prime (AFAIK) drinks less than anything else and can tow 2500 lbs.

jf

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
560 Posts
The vented seats are marginal! Not like a US car. The vented function is pathetic.

The HL is a soccer mom, T baller mobile. So the target audience for the rear are munchkin size. The captain's chair split has allowed my daugther to crawl back there to sleep. I can not see any body above a small child sitting on the bump in the middle of the bench seat for any length of time (much squirming and unpleasantness potential.)

In this size class there is simply not that much room back there. My third row really never gets used. I got to many toys / groceries / etc to haul around......

This is a typical Toyota mobile that is reliable but does not have an over abundance of extra creature features.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I opted for the bench seat as well. I would rather have a larger battery/power and larger gas tank than a 3rd row seat.

·
Registered
'18 HL Ltd (SOLD), '19 GMC Acadia Denali, '02 Honda Civic EX
1,048 Posts
Does anyone use their Highlander as an exclusive 5 seater with the 3rd row folded flat most of the time?
I've driven 3 row mid size SUVs/CUVs exclusively for 17 of the last 25 years (the other 8 years were 2 row SUVs) and only once in all that time have I actually used the 3rd row - the rest of the time it's been folded for additional cargo space.

Reactions: KCHiker

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've driven 3 row mid size SUVs/CUVs exclusively for 17 of the last 25 years (the other 8 years were 2 row SUVs) and only once in all that time have I actually used the 3rd row - the rest of the time it's been folded for additional cargo space.
Same. I owned a Lexus LX470 (similar to a Landcruiser) for 20 years and I only used the 3rd row maybe 3 times.

·
Registered
2021 Highlander Limited w/12.3 Display.
27 Posts
Before reading please note that I am talking about only 8 seater Highlanders. Not the captain chair models...

I am in the market for a Japanese V6 5 seat crossover and was looking at the Honda Passport and the Nissan Murano. Looking at the Highlander I notice that the 3rd row is so small as to be useless. Does anyone use their Highlander as an exclusive 5 seater with the 3rd row folded flat most of the time? I dislike the CVT on the Nissan Murano and I dislike the frustrating touch screen controls on the Honda Passport. The Highlander has better ergonomics than the Passport and more cargo space than the Murano (with the third row folded). I wish the Rav 4 came with a V6. What do you all recommend for a V6 crossover that can seat 5 and have 40+ cubic feet of cargo space?
I specifically asked for my Limited with 12.3 inch screen and the Bench seat. While I do have grand children my Highlander at most will probably hall two adults in the front and 2 youths in the back. It's possible however I could have as many as 7 or 8 people. But the percentage would be 1 or 2 percent of the time. I specifically bought it for that 1 or 2 percent and the cargo space that an extra 3rd row vehicle brings. Like you I wanted a Japanese made Car even though I looked at everything for months, including Volvo, Mercedes, and Audi. You just can't get away from Toyota's legendary quality. Too many different complaints on the Honda Pilot and i believe the interior in no way matches the Toyota.

·
Registered
683 Posts
When my Highlander Hybrid Platinum arrives, it will spend 99% of the time with the third row folded. It kind of bugged me that such a large vehicle would effectively become a 4-seater with the 2nd row captain's chairs, but I rarely have more than one passenger in the vehicle anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

RAV4 Prime was an option for me, as was getting another 4Runner. I didn't really consider the new Venza (owned a 1st year 1st gen one), but saw one in person and thought it looked good.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited
91 Posts
[QUOTE="RAV4 Prime was an option for me, as was getting another 4Runner. I didn't really consider the new Venza (owned a 1st year 1st gen one), but saw one in person and thought it looked good.[/QUOTE]

I need a car next year and want the RAV4 Prime. Not sure it will be available by then.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
683 Posts
I need a car next year and want the RAV4 Prime. Not sure it will be available by then.
Availability will likely be tough, but not impossible. Seems like a decent number are making their way here.

I actually had one on order that would have been delivered this month, but ultimately decided to go with a Highlander Hybrid, so I gave up my spot. The RAV4 Prime would have been more fun, but the Highlander just felt a lot more refined overall.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE
1 Posts

I am on my 4th Highlander and have used the 3rd row ONCE. It's made for a 5 year old. That said the rear cargo is a great space with the 3rd row folded down. I also have the bench 2nd row. Hate the captains chairs!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am on my 4th Highlander and have used the 3rd row ONCE. It's made for a 5 year old. That said the rear cargo is a great space with the 3rd row folded down. I also have the bench 2nd row. Hate the captains chairs!
I agree. I ordered a Limited only because it's the highest trim with a bench. I don't know why Toyota has a aversion to putting a bench seat in the highest trim. After all, a Highlander is really a glorified minivan.

·
Premium Member
2020 Highlander Plat, 2000 Camry LE
1,761 Posts

I have captain seats in the middle, but my 3rd row is flat and I’ll never use it unless I have a special case. It will fit adults in a short trip with the middle row moved slightly forward. I mostly got it for the comfort and space. We have owned many Nissan’s and if it wasn’t for that dreadful cvt I would have owned the Murano.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts