Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Official TN dude
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got an 03 Corolla AT.
Sometimes i like to downshift to 2nd Gear when i'm braking. I think it helps to stop faster. Does it hurt the tranny ?

·
still chuggin' along
1981 Corolla SR5
234 Posts
Not that I know of. I read in my brother's Camry's manual that it says you can to do "engine breaking" to help your brakes. Same thing as when you do it in a manual tranny.

·
Registered
129 Posts
oibone781 said:
Will i hurt the tranny if i rev the engine to about 3000rmp then throw it in drive?
What's the point of that? Run it up to redline then throw it in drive. Make sure the e-brake is on for best results.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
will it hurt the tranny if I go over the redline on my car??? hmmm.. I'm gonna try and see what happens. :disappoin

·
Registered
156 Posts
if you rev match it wont hurt it.
but i mean its kinda pointless unless your slowing down from highway speeds or something in that case i would just let out the gas and keep it in gear.

but wait you have an auto?

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
homeguard said:
if you rev match it wont hurt it.
but i mean its kinda pointless unless your slowing down from highway speeds or something in that case i would just let out the gas and keep it in gear.

but wait you have an auto?
It wont hurt your car at all, and its not quite so pointless, the compression of the engine is a much better brake than the foot brakes and e-brake could ever be... In fact in trucks you need to engine brake or you will never slow down in time

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Don''t be a fool and use the engine braking as a means to brake. The engine is meant to propel the car forward while the brakes are meant to slow the car down. If you shift from D to 2 even at reasonable speeds, it will cause the car to over-rev and hit the red line once you downshift like that since you might not know but, you might do a straight downshift from overdrive(4th in D) to 2nd since I have an 04 Corolla S myself and I know for a fact that the new Corolla auto spends a surprising amount of driving time in the 4th gear. If you slow down sufficiently that you are confident the car would not over-rev( and had automatically downshifted to 3rd) then it would not do any harm. The only place where it is recommended to use engine braking is when you are going down a mountain grade and the normal brakes alone will not be a that effective. Keep the purpose of engine and the brakes clear in your mind.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Another way to put it, Engine wear and tear will cost far more than brake wear and tear could ever cost.

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
that is a good point in an auto... in a manual, you can go down progressively, allowing you to engine brake alot easier and safer.. Auto's you cant choose to go into 3rd..

*edit* oh: and silver04rollas.. just in case u wondering, i dont use it as a means of braking, i use it as a guide to help with braking.. like i said tho.. if you dont engine brake in a truck (i'm talking semi's btw) and help the brakes out... you will burn them out and they will fail very quickly

·
Registered
156 Posts
the jake break is diff from downshifting. but any how it is easier and more cost effect to use your breaks then downshift. with breaks all you have to do is buy new pads but with a tranny(standard) you have to buy a new clutch(and then probably pay $300 to have it installed).
i dont know about downshifting with an AT wouldnt that just be putting it in low gear?

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
Use your brakes to stop. Manually shifting an Auto is pointless 99.9% of the time.
Don't rev up your auto then dump it into drive, that's dumb and yes it will hurt your tranny.
If you don't have a manual tranny, get over it, don't try and pretend.;)

Oh, and since when can't you select third on an A/T? You just turn off the overdrive button.

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
If it doesn't have O/D then it's a probably a 3 speed in which case D would select 3rd. (This is for Corollas and Camrys excluding the newest Camry which I belive has a 5-speed Auto which I don't know about.)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Those 5 SPD Camrys you can select every gear. with O/D on ur in 5th, O/D off ur in 4th, and there are gates for each of 3, 2 and L.

Automatics are cool. When you coast it selects the tallest gear...then when you accelerate it will down shift if needed...No bogging as in a manual car. I miss drivng auto sometimes. :confused: :hammer:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I primarily use my brakes to stop, but while on the highway I found that pressing the OD button is a better way to slow it down. Is there any harm in this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know if ur responding to my post, but what I meant was on a 4 spd auto with OD, I turn off the OD immediately when I need to slow it down. I leave it on when I am accelerating.Does that clear it up?

·
BANNED
1,497 Posts
HLF corolla said:
I primarily use my brakes to stop, but while on the highway I found that pressing the OD button is a better way to slow it down. Is there any harm in this?
OD = less gears/higher RPM

1 - 20 of 45 Posts