Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a Multiple Spark Discharge ignition system Help my 3S-GTE, I am not runninng it with stock turbocharger pressure, about 1 bar. And Will it effect the strength of the signal form the magnetic pickup?

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
there's no need to upgrade the OEM ignition system. it's been proven to 500whp in some cases. just get colder plugs and undergap them slightly.

-Mike

·
BRAKE/STEER/THROTTLE
nothing but Toyotas
1,420 Posts
if you have one, put it on there. doesn't hurt, that's for sure. it's just more fire in the chamber...don't expect $%^ horsepower, though.

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
no.

-Mike

·
BRAKE/STEER/THROTTLE
nothing but Toyotas
1,420 Posts
stock engines already idle smoothly (for the most part).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so if the msd burns more fuel, the exhaust temp might incress decreasing turbo spool time right?

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
who told you the msd burns more fuel? the msd will produce the exact same spark as your OEM ignition coil under the same conditions (boost, fuel mixture, plug gap, etc...) until you start getting into REALLY extreme conditions.

-Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was told the MSD (Multiple spark discharge ignition system) make about 3 sparks over 20 degrees of the crank up to 3000 rpm. After 3000 rpm making one intense spark at about 30,000 volts and a maximum of 45,000 volts. The multiple sparks will burn mor fuel, and the big spark will cause fuel to reach flash point quicker and burn more fuel. I know the oem coil only produces 14,000 volts maximum. All this is based on information i collected for user reveiws and data from toyota and MSD. So my theory is that if you burn more fuel, the exhaust will be slightlyh higher and your turbo may spool a millionth of a second quicker maybe but i got a box and coil so i am gonna connect it. Lets see what happens.

·
BRAKE/STEER/THROTTLE
nothing but Toyotas
1,420 Posts
3-5

·
Registered
500 Posts
Any chance you've dyno'd the car? I wouldn't expect it to, but it would be very interesting to see if it makes any difference.

·
I love Cin
91 Turbo MR2
2,312 Posts
I would not bother with aftermarket ignition components unless you are going well beyond 350 rwhp.

Although the OEM stuff has proven to be able to hold up to a 400+ dyno, it seems to fail under real-world racing conditions at those levels.

... and if you go with some sort of multi-spark unit, expect to be killing ignitions wires even faster. :(

·
BRAKE/STEER/THROTTLE
nothing but Toyotas
1,420 Posts
and spark plugs. i like mine. i don't troubles. i don't have 350+ whp.

·
BahaMR2
1992 JDM MR2
225 Posts
yes i too doubt its necessary to upgrade the igntion even with higher boost on stock motor the gains are too minimal at that stage.

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
please don't take offense to any of the following. i'd just like to explain my point of view on this subject.

the OEM coil max output is more than 14KV. i'm not sure where you got that number from, but a number closer to 55KV is closer to the max coil output.

the three sparks over 20 degrees seems rather pointless to me. after the initial ignition, the flame front moves away from the point of ignition. there is no fuel behind the flame front. the spark plug is behind the flame front. what is it going to ignite?

the firing voltage is not determined by the coil. it is determined by the sum of resistences of the secondary ignition circuit. coil wire + dist cap + air gap + dist rotor + air gap + dist cap + plug wire + plug + plug air gap (compression included) = total resistence. the coil produces only the voltage necessary to jump the plug gap after going through all of those resistences. if a coil is capable of 30,000KV, and the required voltage to produce a spark is 5KV, the coil will put out 5KV.

since you have the parts in hand, go ahead and put them on. i'm interested to see the results. :)

-Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts