Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i recently installed a reman starter (i crashed and burned at rebuilding my own). things have been working great, but ever since we had a good cold snap here in the bluegrass state, i have had trouble getting my '99 tacoma 2.7 4x4 to start. on a cold start the starter sings out and there is the terrible grinding crunch of the teeth on the starter plunger slipping off the teeth of the flywheel. then on the second crank i get the same result. but usually by the third try it engages cleanly and starts right up. i mean the engine in running great, it has nothing to do with that. so i guess what i am wondering is if anyone has had this problem before. i have a one -year warranty, so it's no big deal to take it off and return it for another one. but that's not gonna do me any good if it's related to plunger length. does anyone have any suggestions. i couldn't find anything related to this problem in any of the searches i've done. thanks in advance!

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,861 Posts
The reman starter has a weak solenoid, it's strong enough for warm weather but the cold is too much on it. Return it for another and hope you get a better one.
Another suggestion is get a used one from a salvage yard that is OEM and not covered in oil/grease/mud. Put the contacts from the reman starter in the salvage unit and vice versa. Then return the starter to the parts store for refund. A used OEM is better than a parts store unit that is most likely made in china or india.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah , that makes sense. but the only thing is that i can here the starter plunger spinning because its grinding on the teeth of the flywheel. it's almost like the starter plunger extends too far or not far enough. would that be due to a weak solenoid?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.