Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1.1996 Toyota Camry V6 LE Auto 2.2004 Infiniti G35 Sedan RWD 6SPD
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been literally calling suspension companies for a while now and it seems nobody makes complete front struts for my 96 Camry 3.0 Le.I contacted companies like Monroe,KYB,Gabriel and they all seem to offer struts only but I want the complete assembly.Is there any other models like a 97 Camry/Es300 struts that could be installed on my Camry? I only found one complete assembly from Gabriel but it only says front strut assembly but doesn’t specify whether it’s for the front left or right.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,470 Posts
It can't be helped that they didn't make or stopped making quick struts for an 23 year old vehicle. They either make them or they don't, if they don't then you either gotta assemble them or pray you can find some at a junk yard if your vehicle is old enough.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It can't be helped that they didn't make or stopped making quick struts for an 23 year old vehicle. They either make them or they don't, if they don't then you either gotta assemble them or pray you can find some at a junk yard if your vehicle is old enough.
I guess you’re right but I don’t see why they still make them for 4 cylinder camrys but no v6.I just found a company called Detroit axle that makes them for a 3.0 Camry so I decided to maybe buy these.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
I guess you’re right but I don’t see why they still make them for 4 cylinder camrys but no v6.I just found a company called Detroit axle that makes them for a 3.0 Camry so I decided to maybe buy these.
V6 most likely requires beefier suspension to compensate for the weight of the 3.0.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
V6 most likely requires beefier suspension to compensate for the weight of the 3.0.
Do you think 97-99 Camry complete struts would be able to fit in my 96?? Since most of them were 3.0

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
It's a chance you may have to take because every so often for the Avalon there seems to be a "leap year" for suspension.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
That is the only assumption you can create other than contacting them (again) about it.

·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts
Yes I notice that too but doesn’t specify whether it’s for the front right or left unless they are both the same
I think the bracket for the brake hose is welded onto different sides for right Vs left struts.

Left side Monroe strut (pic from the RA catalog)...

Right side:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve been literally calling suspension companies for a while now and it seems nobody makes complete front struts for my 96 Camry 3.0 Le.I contacted companies like Monroe,KYB,Gabriel and they all seem to offer struts only but I want the complete assembly.Is there any other models like a 97 Camry/Es300 struts that could be installed on my Camry? I only found one complete assembly from Gabriel but it only says front strut assembly but doesn’t specify whether it’s for the front left or right.

I recently replaced all 4 of my struts/coil springs on my 1997 Toyota Camry V6 LE. It's not worth saving a few bucks to buy just the strut assembly and have to swap out the coil springs. Buy the complete cool spring/strut assembly. Look for manufacturer's special offers. Monroe, KYB, and other's always run specials. I purchased all 4 assemblies ftom Rock Auto. I went with KYB as they cost me about $500.00 for all four, but offered a $150.00 Visa Card rebate on a set of 4. They were super easy to install and the difference in both ride quality and ride height was unbelievable. My fronts were so shot my tires had barely any clearance and it was getting dangerous to drive. I'm so glad I installed all 4. Drives like a new car. You should be able to get the full assemblies for your 1996 from Rock Auto.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I recently replaced all 4 of my struts/coil springs on my 1997 Toyota Camry V6 LE. It's not worth saving a few bucks to buy just the strut assembly and have to swap out the coil springs. Buy the complete cool spring/strut assembly. Look for manufacturer's special offers. Monroe, KYB, and other's always run specials. I purchased all 4 assemblies ftom Rock Auto. I went with KYB as they cost me about $500.00 for all four, but offered a $150.00 Visa Card rebate on a set of 4. They were super easy to install and the difference in both ride quality and ride height was unbelievable. My fronts were so shot my tires had barely any clearance and it was getting dangerous to drive. I'm so glad I installed all 4. Drives like a new car. You should be able to get the full assemblies for your 1996 from Rock Auto.
No they do not offer complete assembly for my 96 V6.They do however have complete Gabriel struts but I just can bare that price tag of 99.99 each

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
432 Posts
They are easy to assemble yourself, with the rented/borrowed spring compressor from auto parts store. Also, a neighborhood garage can do it using their wall mounted compressor for a few bucks.

The appeal of buying the parts separately is you can use OEM Toyota top mounts (there are lots of threads on here of folks who had clunking noises and other issues with poorly made aftermarket top mounts, resolved by fitting Toyota ones).

Then you can buy the bare struts from whomever, and the cheapest Rock Auto springs and related fitting parts.

Norm

·
Registered
'98 Camry
268 Posts
I'd like to add that I had a terrible experience with Monroe struts. I put on the backs and they made noise and seemed to handle funny. I replaced the set and same issue. I then tried KYB in the back and have been happy ever since. My fronts are cheap Ebay "Unity" brand and those haven't had a problem either.

Also, Monroe sells struts through auto parts stores with themes like "Shocktober" and promises rebates. Yet they don't give you the rebate. When you call to complain they say you waited too long, etc. Screw that company.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd like to add that I had a terrible experience with Monroe struts. I put on the backs and they made noise and seemed to handle funny. I replaced the set and same issue. I then tried KYB in the back and have been happy ever since. My fronts are cheap Ebay "Unity" brand and those haven't had a problem either.

Also, Monroe sells struts through auto parts stores with themes like "Shocktober" and promises rebates. Yet they don't give you the rebate. When you call to complain they say you waited too long, etc. Screw that company.
Yes I will be going with unity struts for the fronts.I found a pair new on eBay for $60 for both.I know it’s a too good to be true price but I honestly don’t want to spend $200 for a set on a 23 year old car and a daily driver.My job is in the city and a 15 min drive with no highway time at all.I only take the highway once a month so I hope the struts will last at least a year and a half

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
828 Posts
For $60 bucks, you're either going to get a great Deal, or a return / "someone else's headache". ... For that price - I suspect the latter - Buyer Beware.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
  1. For $60 bucks, you're either going to get a great Deal, or a return / "someone else's headache". ... For that price - I suspect the latter - Buyer Beware.
    Yea my fronts struts are pretty shot and honestly anything else is will be better.I went to my local junkyard and I noticed most Avalon’s,Es300s and V6 camrys all ran unity struts so I decided to give them a try.I don’t want to buy pricey struts for my daily as it’s my winter beater.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
432 Posts
uh oh, all of the unity struts ended up in the scrap yard? That sounds like the "Jeep curse" (every company that owns Jeep has gone into bankruptcy).

Just kidding.
I hope they work out well for you. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
uh oh, all of the unity struts ended up in the scrap yard? That sounds like the "Jeep curse" (every company that owns Jeep has gone into bankruptcy).

Just kidding.
I hope they work out well for you. Keep us posted!
Lol let’s hope not I just got them in from amazon warehouse deals in like new condition for $25 a piece shipped to my door.The struts came in looking brand new nothing bent or anything major thankfully.I brought them over to my mechanic today and I’m hoping for a good result tomorrow morning when I go pick up my car.Along with that a bought a pair of detroit axle lower control arms so my suspension should be on point.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
so called "quick struts" make their money by giving you crap shocks and crap springs:

I challenge anyone using these to replace the original OEM shock/spring to actually WEIGH the crappy "quick struts" I guarantee they use thinner/lighter shock pistons and spring gauges, thats how they make money, they save on raw material and shipping. They may ride better than the old worn out units initially but will also wear out in 1/4 the time; caveat emptor.

Because they are so light and thats where they make their profit they will NEVER offer a V6 version.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts