Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
WALKING AND TRAVELING SUX
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cuz i got like 16 mpg in the last week, and yes i did use the heat a lot, its cold here in nyc.

i thought maybe i need a tune up, new fuel filter, spark plugs.

i put gas treatment and fuel injector cleaner the last time i filled up.

·
Old fogey
1,429 Posts
The heat comes from the engine and is transferred to the cabin via a heater core that exchanges the heat from the hot coolant into blown air. You're not wasting any more gas to divert the heat into your cabin, with the exception of whatever juice is required to run the fans.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
You get crappy gas mileage when it's cold because the engine runs at higher RPMs to warm up the engine when you start it. It will also run richer at startup when cold because the richer charge is more stable than a lean charge. The cold cylinder walls will cause some of the atomized gasoline to condense on the cylinder walls where it will not burn. This fuel is then wiped by the piston rings into the oil (not good for several reasons).

You amp will cause a load on the alternator. If you have a sub also, that heavy sub box will also increase fuel consumption.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
your milage sucks due to the winterized fuel. i did a experament with that ...... i got like 20 here in florida then the next day i was getting like 16 in toronto.

·
'93 LE Wagon V6 '94 LE I4
'93 V6 wagon, '94 I4
1,062 Posts
umeshr85 said:
cuz i got like 16 mpg in the last week, and yes i did use the heat a lot, its cold here in nyc.
It's been cold the last week or so and you likely do a lot of stop and go in NYC. That will drop your mileage like a safe from a third floor window.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Do you get a winter blend gasoline with ethanol?
Here in OR, they add that to all gasoline supposedly to help reduce pollution.

It reduces the efficiency i.e. we tend to lean in more on the pedal in an attempt to get the same acceleration as we are used to. The engine is putting out less hp.

Consumption goes up, milage comes down by about 20% or more.

And I am not even going to start about ethanol carries water, etc etc.

·
Registered
98' LGT
1,113 Posts
Also, if you are like me and jsut leave your car running places to keep warm (i deliver pizza, so on a cold day it might run 6-8 hrs straight) your milage will go way down. During a cold week I've seen my milage go from 28mpg average to 20 mpg average just from idling alot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts