Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Acura Legend
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old 93 Camry LE V6 was like new, but at times when I would turn my A/C on high, it would blow out black foam from the vents. It would get on my clothing and smear black streaks on them when I would try to knock it off. I looked closely in the vents of my 90 Lexus LS400 and although it does not blow this out, I think I know what it was on my Camry. It seems as if during those years (at least early 90s) that they put that foam substance around the vent flaps- I guess to ensure that no air came out of the certain vents turned off when the blower was on. Perhaps there was too much foam on there and after time, it was breaking loose? Does anyone else have this problem with their Camry's? Does anyone know what years Toyota used this? I am wondering, because I am considering a 1997 Camry or a 1998 4-Runner, but will not buy another Toyota if they still have this. Thanks for any information.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
The foam was used on 1990 celica as well. I know what your talking about (its black and almost like a window airconditioning foamscreen). I think the foam came from drying out over the years. I've yet to see him problem on my gen4 camry, hope this helps!

·
Registered
1992 Acura Legend
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It does help - I too was thinking maybe it was just getting old and dry and that is why it was breaking loose. It seems as if all early 90s (at least new styles since 1990) Toyota products have it. Even my 1990 Lexus LS400 has it, but luckily, not coming out yet. It seems to be a bit sticky and clings to clothing. :mad: Hopefully the 97-up Camry does not have it. I do not think the Hondas have it, as I never seen it coming from the vents of my old 91 Accord.

·
Registered
1992 Acura Legend
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I am assuming since there was no replies from 97-up Camry owners, that it is no longer a concern on these cars.

·
Mitsubishi Diamante Owner
'03 Diamante
1,743 Posts
I remember my '89 Rolla had something like that. I never had a problem with it blowing on my clothes though. I haven't looked close at my 01 Camry. I will tomorrow.

·
Registered
1992 Acura Legend
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Would be interesting to know......

·
Registered
475 Posts
My gen4.5 2000 camry 4 cyl has this problem on the right side vent. Funny why the left vent and centre vents dont have this problem. I live in singapore and this is a RHD made in japan vehicle. The foam problem went on for about 3~4 months, but fortunately now the foam has stopped coming out. :D

·
Registered
1992 Acura Legend
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That is interesting. Seems as if they still used it at least on the 2001-older models. Still- I wonder if they also used it on other Toyota models in the late 90s thru 2000s. Who knows- they still may use it.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
I took a flash light and explored the vents on my gen 4, i think what i see is foam in the passanger vents. i think as a car ages the foam becomes dry and cracks up and blows with the air..if a car stays in the heat too long, the foam dries up more quickly.

·
mystery dude
51 Posts
That happened on my 2000. The foam is maybe 1/8" thick, and the pieces aren't very big. But they weren't too sticky and sure didn't leave streaks on my clothes. If it's because of heat drying it out, well, that makes a lot of sense for me because the first owner lived in Florida and I'm in Atlanta.

I didn't think too much of it because I don't close the dash vents anyway. *Should* I/we be worried?

--Mike

·
Registered
1992 Acura Legend
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Earthmike: I do not think it is cause for concerns. I am guessing it was sticky and leaving black marks on my shirts, because my car was older. It was a 1993 model. I think the more the vents are opened/closed, the more the foam comes loose. Also, it would not come of out my vents unless it was in "VENT" mode and the blower was on high speed and I would open/close a certain vent with the dial at that vent. Also, the possibility that the previous owner (was a 1-owner car) never used the vents, or always left them open and then when I started using them, all of that extra loose foam started coming out.

I checked the vents closely on my 90' Lexus LS400 and it also has this foam around the vent flaps, but none coming out yet, nor have I heard any other 90-up Lexus LS400 owners complaining. I guess the main reason for the foam is to ensure that no air comes out around the vents, when other modes are used. I have no idea what other car makes use (if anything). I think this is just an extra measure that Toyota takes to ensure precise control of the HVAC systems and even without the foam, the vents would work just fine.

I just find it interesting that Toyota still uses this even on models as late as 2001.

I also agree with "jhbhatia" - I think the dry heat, or areas where the humidity is typically low (deserts) dries it out more quickly than cooler climates (northwest, northeast) or areas where humidity is typically high (southeast)- which is where I am, but I since my car was a 93', I guess even higher humidity did not stop it, in addition, we have very hot summers here.

·
On The Street
268 Posts
^ like i said in my first post mine doenst do it and i live in Las Vegas (desert) and it still doesnt do it. we too have hot summers.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
Sorry to resurrect - cleanign my interior this weekend, i noticed a loose piece of foam on the passanger vent..so yes! its has NOW become a thing for my 97 camry!

·
Banned
352 Posts
i got 98 AND i never had this problem but i am surprized cause ive everything else go wrong with it

·
Registered
1992 Acura Legend
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have to update- my 90 Lexus LS400 did this once. It also appears to have the foam. I think it was an "extra" measure that Toyota took to insure that air went exactly where you wanted it. Too bad it was not a better grade of foam. I think when the vents are opened/closed at the actual control at that vent, that it breaks away the extra foam. Probably not anything that will keep it from doing its job.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 97 camry and it also blows the black foam out the vent. Now my center vents don't blow at all. This may or may not be related to the foam, I don't know yet. Maybe the vent control motor or door is stuck.

·
I admit it, I'm a n00b
1992 Camry LE
80 Posts
wow, dude! this thread is 2 years old! nice... anyway, I have the same problem in my '92 Camry. One time a whole lining flew out and blocked the vent. It was like at least an inch long. When I was picking at it to get it out from behind the vent, it started breaking apart and over the course of a week, little fragments came flying out whenever I turned on AC or vents. BTW, now when I close the vents for inside circulation, it makes a whining noise like it's trying to whistle so I just leave it half open. Annoying, but I got used to it... just like the squeeking of the rear springs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts