Toyota Nation Forum banner

Does the Toyota warranty cover battery?

1203 Views 23 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  tron9901
I bought my 2020 Camry new, and this morning the battery is dead. I had the AAA guys help to start the car, and his battery tester read only 10V, so he recommended me to take to car to the dealer.

The dealer replaced my battery, but they said the battery is not covered under the new car 3 year warranty. I want to get a second opnion here to see if this is true or not. Thank you!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2020 Camry (purchased new) with about 52 000kms....still within 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. And, I would fully expect the battery to last much longer, and that it be covered under warranty if it fails within 3 years or 60 000kms.

Is the dealer explaining why the battery isn't covered?

Regardless, I would contact Toyota directly.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2020 Camry (purchased new) with about 52 000kms....still within 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. And, I would fully expect the battery to last much longer, and that it be covered under warranty if it fails within 3 years or 60 000kms.

Is the dealer explaining why the battery isn't covered?

Regardless, I would contact Toyota directly.
Thank you! I will contact the dealer again to see if they can refund me. If not, I will contact Toyota directly to resolve this issue.

· Registered
83 Posts
While not a Toyota, my wife bought a 2019 Honda Fit and they replaced the battery under warranty after about one year. (I assume Toyota and Honda new-car warranties are similar, but I don't know for sure.)

· 16' Camry SE & 18' Camry XSE
18 & 20 XSE Camry
953 Posts
I bought my 2020 Camry new, and this morning the battery is dead. I had the AAA guys help to start the car, and his battery tester read only 10V, so he recommended me to take to car to the dealer.

The dealer replaced my battery, but they said the battery is not covered under the new car 3 year warranty. I want to get a second opnion here to see if this is true or not. Thank you!
My battery cracked and leaked at 15 months of car ownership and I was told battery carries 12 Month warranty, so if you get yours replaced, it's only dealerships good will. Mine was 2018 camry that I bought brand new from the dealer which refused replacement.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

· Registered
277 Posts
If the dealer doesn't warranty the battery, start buying them somewhere else. The cheapest prices are probably found at Costco and Walmart. I've had great service life out of a battery I bought at Advance Auto. I think that one lasted 6 years in my Tacoma.

· Registered
6 Posts
First of all, batteries and tires are covered by the original manufacturer unless they (the battery) is a Toyota branded item.

Do you have a picture of the top of your original battery? That will tell you the model of the battery and possibly the expected life. Toyota sells different levels of battery and I don’t know what level was installed in your vehicle. Without a picture or possibly a description of the old battery on the service receipt, your case becomes more difficult to claim premature failure.

Sorry not to be more helpful.

· Registered
2007 Tacoma Base
161 Posts
battery is not covered under the new car 3 year warranty. I want to get a second opnion here
Absolutely useless. If you want a reliable 'second opinion," read the warranty in your glove box!

Why did you pay the dealer to replace a battery that was not covered under the warranty when Walmart* sells one for significantly LE$$ with a warranty?

*As well as various other vendors.

Curious, what did you wind up paying for teh replacement battery?

· Registered
2007 Tacoma Base
161 Posts
(I assume Toyota and Honda new-car warranties are similar,
Really?
Have you read either?
When one examines the term 'assume,' we find it consists of three essential parts that, taken in sequence serve to indicate the value of the activity/action defined by the word taken together:
  1. ass
  2. u
  3. me
Assuming often makes an ass of you, and or me.

· Registered
2007 Tacoma Base
161 Posts
I had the AAA guy start the car. his battery tester read 10V. so he recommended (I) take the car to a dealer. The dealer said the battery is not covered under the new car 3 year warranty.
One thing to consider is the minimum education requisite to employment as driver of a Tow Truck driver in your locale. Here, one needs only to pass an exam for their driver's license to qualify. Judging by those I've encountered at auto repair shops over fifty years or more, there are no more stringent educational requirements for that occupation and one may not necessarily need to be licensed to drive any sort of vehicle to gain employment at Ben's Auto Repairs.

So, why take what some fella with a voltmeter offers as gospel? Worse yet an employee of the very company that refuses to honor the warranty you thought you had and has every incentive to convince you that the surprisingly-priced battery they would install in your vehicle is not only better than the last one they sold you (albeit with the vehicle) but well worth that astounding price and additional fees added to your 'repairs ticket?'

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 Avalon Limited. Surprisingly, the battery failed in 2018. The Toyota dealer where I purchased the car, replaced the battery with a new and better Toyota 84 month battery. All done under warranty and at no charge.

· Registered
10 Posts
Our original Toyota battery failed around the 1 year mark. We read the warranty documents carefully and believed it to be under warranty. Took the vehicle to a local dealer who offered zero credit or exchange for the defective battery, claiming it was a wear item. Dealer kindly offered to sell us a new battery as well as a new vehicle. Went to Costco and purchased a replacement battery with a similar written warranty (and better specs) for $109 (also happens to be $50 less than the dealer charges). 1.5 years later the Costco battery was showing signs of failure. Went to Costco and they gave us a new replacement battery no questions asked. Costco didn’t even bother testing the old battery for failure.

In another vehicle we had an Everstart MAXX battery. The 3 year non-prorated warranty Everstart battery failed around 2.5 years of age. After spending half an hour at the Walmart customer service counter waiting for them to see if they could test the battery for warranty purposes, we walked out with the bad battery and used it as a core at Costco.

Warranty is only good if it will be respected without more hassle than it is worth.

· Official PITA
'05 Solara Convertible & '07 ES350
1,490 Posts
Costco will give no hassle over a battery that dies early. HOWEVER, did they explain to you that the new battery they supplied is warrantied only to the same date as the original battery?
Happened to me, and ticked me off, it's a new battery, it should have the same warranty as any other new battery they sell.
So instead of exchanging for a new 24F battery, I returned it for a full refund. Now, time for lunch at their food court, and then purchased a new 24F battery with a 42 month warranty. Better than the 12-14 (?) months that were remaining on the old battery.

· Registered
12 Posts
Automotive battery testers are short money -suggest getting one so you can test yourself. Start at around $30 on Amazon Just search on "Automotive Battery Tester"

My 2017 Camry was manufactured in June 2016. Bought it CPO in December 2019

In June 2022 the battery was 6 years old, so I just replaced it with a 24F Exide from Home Depot for $89.Life expectancy of an auto battery is 3-5 years.

A lot of people don't know that Home Depot sells auto batteries and are the best deal around.

· Registered
2018 Camry SE
109 Posts
Automotive battery testers are short money -suggest getting one so you can test yourself. Start at around $30 on Amazon Just search on "Automotive Battery Tester"

My 2017 Camry was manufactured in June 2016. Bought it CPO in December 2019

In June 2022 the battery was 6 years old, so I just replaced it with a 24F Exide from Home Depot for $89.Life expectancy of an auto battery is 3-5 years.

A lot of people don't know that Home Depot sells auto batteries and are the best deal around.
Given that the life expectancy of an auto battery is 3-5 years, I'm curious about something.

My 2018 SE was purchased in August 2017. So the battery is going on five-and-a-half years old. I just had it checked at an auto shop and they said it checks out like new. Is this because I haven't driven it much and only have 40k miles on it?

How much of the life expectancy of an auto battery is based on miles driven? Versus time in operation?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts