Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
yup...that they do.

you would most likely want the first one there...it's called a c-spanner wrench I believe.

I use a similar one to do all my timing belt changes

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
oh wait...you said CRANK pulley....

there is no way to hold the crank pulley....you either have to use the starter bump method or remove the starter and jam a screwdriver in the flywheel/flexwheel

that tool is for holding the CAM pullies so that you can remove them and get to the cam shaft seals

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
i used the 120V electric impact gun from lowes to do the crank pulley bolt over the weekend on 94 V6, it is a big bolt, 22mm, it took my electric impact gun 10 to 15 seconds to have it loose, and the head of the bolt was warm to touch when i removed it after it was loose.

starter bump is a good method to loose that bolt on camry, but you can't use the same starter method to re-tighten that bolt. previous i felt guilty of using the brand new installed timing belt to hold the crank pulley when tighten that bolt, but yet still wasn't sure if it was still tight enough.

i use the electric impact gun on many occasions, loose and tighten lugnuts when rotate tires, crank pulley bolt, even on the 30mm axle nut works beatifully. no compressor and big air tank, just need an AC outlet

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=51056-70-DW292K&lpage=none

i use something similar to this tool to hold my cam gears

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Snap...012QQitemZ220383350139QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

both of my cam seals were leaking.
took two person, that cam holding tool with 4 to 5 ft foot extension pipe, and a 17mm socket with 4 ft extension pipe to loose my cam gear,

i've seen some homemade crankshaft pulley holding tool works well for them, but the crank pulley has no spokes like the cam gear, the crank pulley is solid and only has two small (8mm or 9mm) threaded holes

i also have a $19 pipe wrench from harborfreight, that i've used wrap around the pulley to hold it, but it dents the pulley as well.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
^ how were you able to loosen the crank bolt with an electric impact gun?? mine does 300ft/lbs and I could never get mine off (along with a number of different 1mzs that I've changed the TB on), mostly because there's no way to keep the crank from moving so the majority of the torque bleeds away

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
^ how were you able to loosen the crank bolt with an electric impact gun?? mine does 300ft/lbs and I could never get mine off (along with a number of different 1mzs that I've changed the TB on), mostly because there's no way to keep the crank from moving so the majority of the torque bleeds away
well, my 1mz-fe crank pulley bolt came loose, after 10 to 15 seconds of impact, this is not the 12V cheap impact gun, this dewalt does 2700 impact per minutes. and from my naked eyes, my crank pulley was not spining/turning or shaking, or like you describe as torque bleeds away.

the first time i used it on axle nut, the nut won't come loose, because the brake rotor has some free play, and absorb all the impact and now i found when i loose the axle nut, i either leave the tire on ground, or have some one step on the brake pedel hard to hold the axle, or stick a big screw driver on caliper to jam the rotor/axle from spining.

like i said, the crank bolt didn't come off in the 1st second or two, it took about 10 to 15 seconds of hard impact pounding

by doing the math, 2700 strike per minutes, or 45 strikes per second,
15 seconds X 45 strike/second = 675 times to come loose.
and by the way, i didn't use any liquid wrench, wd40 or PB oil on the bolt.
i just took out the electric impact gun, put a 22mm socket on it, and pull the trigger.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
oh, i bought the dewalt electric impact gun from lowes, because i wasn't sure if it does what it said, and i could still return it to lowes easily. but i ended up loving it, and kept it.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
good to hear that it works...funny thing that though, cuz my impact gun (also quality- though, no dewalt) works fine on the axle nuts and gets them off in a jiffy....but not the crank bolt though lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts