Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991 NA MR2 5-Speed, White w/blue interior, 97k miles, t-top, <100 miles on Sumitomo HTR200 tires, power windows, locks, cruise, AC, aftermarket cd deck, no damage history, timing belt & clutch at 62k... BUT needs struts, strut mounts, rear calipers, distributor seal. He wants $3900 USD.

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Try talking him down to $3,500.... or less if you can. Those struts will run you a couple hundred $. Plus those brakes.... depending on how you go... will be a bit. I will have some calipers in a few.... pretty sure they are in decent condition... haven't pulled them off the car yet.... I'll practically give them away :)

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I figured I could talk him down a bit since his wife is making him sleep on the couch until he sells it. He bought it for an autocross car, but then a better condition Miata came along, so he bought that. Technically it's not a one owner, but this second guy has barely had it at all. If I do go through with it I'll be sure to hit you up about the calipers.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
i think that if u waited and looked a bit more....for a few grand more u could prolly find a decent turbo....what is ur price range??..are u concerned with insurance issues??.....

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really would like a turbo, but as you said insurance, and NA would be more competetive in it's class for autocross. Insurance on a turbo definitely would not take kindly to me. Soon to be 18 year old male, single, two infractions in the last two years... I figure if I get tired of not having enough power, the RIPP SDS would be available by that time.

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
NA > Turbo for autocross.... if thats what you are planning on using it for.... go with the NA.

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I've been convinced now (by TN and Solo2.org) that NA is the way to go for me. Theres just something about a 5SFE in a sports car that doesn't seem right. I'm sure I'll be more than pleased once I get one though. Anyone have times on a MKII NA, 0-60 in particular?

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
If I remember right the 0 - 60 for the 5sfe in the MR2 was between 8-9 seconds. If you are looking for a little more power out an NA MR2.... you can go with a BEAMS 3SGE swap :D If you can find one.... that would be awesome.... 200hp NA engine, but it was only put in about 1,000 or so MR2's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts